Bluesy, low-to-medium gain drive. Charlie Brown vs Weehbo JTM vs (?)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Phosphenetre, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Phosphenetre

Phosphenetre Member

Looking for a low-medium gain overdrive for bluesy clean to low-medium gain sounds. Less 'upper midrange bite' than the typical Plexi crunch sound, a bit flatter and warmer. Sort of like the JTM-45 sound in a box.

I greatly value amp-like dynamic response and picking sensitivity, so that's also a priority, after the voicing itself. Also, while it primarily needs to nail those tones described above, additional versatility is always a welcome bonus!

I'll be using them primarily for blues, blues-rock and some medium-gain classic rock sounds. I have other pedals for higher gain tones.

My main suspects right now are the JHS Angry Charlie and the Weehbo JTM Drive. Both are supposedly designed to sound like a Marshall JTM45.

How do these two directly compare, and are there any other notable competitiors?

2. muletrane

muletrane Supporting Member

Sounds like you need a PoT/KoT

3. axdxm

axdxm Silver Supporting Member

Use a RAT and keep the gain low.

4. Phosphenetre

Phosphenetre Member

I own a VFE Alpha Dog with the LM308 chip, that can be set up as a standard RAT, and I never managed to get particularly great low-gain tones with it. Decent, but never spectacular in feel, and not smooth enough. Not bad, just not the character I'm looking for, through the amps I typically use as backline - most often Fender Twins.
    I'll give it another shot though.

I'm basically looking for a pedal to run straight into a clean amp, to give me a range of touch-sensitive, warm, bluesy tones in the range of edge-of-breakup to medium gain. I'm not a great fan of the more aggressive Marshall sounds for these tones, but I noticed that several JTM45 style amps and pedals seemed to sound like what I want, and the description of the feel sounds like what I am looking for - a certain amount of sag and looseness.

Which is why I zeroed in on the JHS Charlie Brown and the Weehbo JTM Drive. Additionally, them being JFET pedals is a bonus, because my experience with the feel of JFET pedals has been brilliant - they always feel so amp-like.

5. Phosphenetre

Phosphenetre Member

Bump, any opinions on the Charlie Brown and Weehbo JTM, in the capacity of a low to medium gain blues overdrive?

6. thecornman

thecornman Member

What amp are you using?

7. OverDrivenGtr

OverDrivenGtr Silver Supporting Member

Greer Southland does what you're looking for perfectly.

8. Phosphenetre

Phosphenetre Member

Generally a Fender Twin as backline, sometimes other Fender amps like Hot Rod Devilles or Blues Deluxes. Sometimes Marshall JCM800. Sometimes terrible solid state combos.

I'm looking for something to bring that rich, warm, bluesy low-gain early Marshall tone, not too aggressive, but sometimes crunchy bluesy low-gain is called for, too.

9. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

10. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

ZVex Distortron. It's what it was designed to do. Warm, tweedy/JTM breakup.

External mids switch makes it uber flexible. Works excellently with clean or dirty Fender amps.

It's one half of the Box of Rock, with the added switch. Great pedal!

11. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Might look at Snouse black box or their other blues breaker clones.

[​IMG]

Dually version for $138, single only $78.
    [​IMG]

That Weehbo JTM has caught my attention a few times though I must say.

12. bluflames

bluflames Member

If you like jfet pedals maybe check out some of the stuff at runoffgroove - they don't make pedals themselves but you can buy pedals with their circuits from third party people for reasonable prices.

They don't make a jtm45 simulator but they do make clones of a superlead 100 (Thor) and a 1974x (18w)

The ehxtortion by electro harmonix also might could do what you're looking for.

Also keep the rook royale on your list too - the left side is an ep boost which imparts some of that jfet feel and tonality when used in conjunction with drive pedals.

13. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

Blues driver BD-2 ? ;)

I had one of the Keeley Mod ones and it was pretty nice. :)

14. Memphistokid

Memphistokid Member

Sorry I've never tried the Charlie or the Weehbo Jtm but Iwas able to get some awesome Marshall Duane Allman esque tones from an Epiphone LP into an Xotic BB Plus into a fender blues deluxe reissue. Otherwise I would definitely say Wampler Plexidrive.

15. Phosphenetre

Phosphenetre Member

Weehbo JTM users, I noticed in demos that the pedal seems to come across as very bright, and much more '1959 Super Lead' voiced, which is great too, but I worry it'll sound thin at low gain settings.

JHS Charlie Brown users in the house, how do you find it for low/medium gain 'Strat on neck pickup' blues and blues-rock tones? Think Scott Henderson's blues sound, or Oz Noy or Wayne Krantz?

16. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

Tried a ton of OD pedals.
    What I kept:
    Rockett Animal
    Fulltone Plimsoul
    Weehbo JCM Drive.