Bluetick EL34 vs 6V6

glman

I finally got to try the Tung sol 6V6 re-issue tubes in my bluetick and I'm kinda disappointed.
nothing wrong with the tubes - Doug's tubes provided great service and the tubes arrived safely etc... - i just really prefer the EL34's.
the 6V6 aren't bad they just tend to make the amp too smooth and wimpy.
The 6V6's compress too much under gain in a way that i don't like - I much prefer the way the EL84's compress in my English - way better in every way.
But -. the EL34's in the Bluetick have everything that the 6V6's lack.
Balls, bottom end - more than enough, raunch and thickness!!!
I don't know if I'm judging the 6V6's harshly cause I know that there are different levels of 6V6 tubes available but I thought that the tung-sol re issues would get me in the ballpark - how much better can the NOS RCA 6V6GT's be?
I'll keep the Tung Sols around and check them out again sometime but for now it's back to the EL34's !!

mark norwine

....But -. the EL34's...have everything that the 6V6's lack.
Amen to that, brother.....

...how much better can the NOS RCA 6V6GT's be?
Better than a reflektor 6V6? Ummm......a lot.

(but it will still never be a EL34)

EDIT....another thought: how is this amp biased? Did you rebias when you switched from EL34 to 6V6? An incorrectly-biased amp can sound bad, regardless of the type / brand of tube. If it's dialed in for EL34's, I'd imagine it would need a tweak or 2 to optimize it for 6V6's

glman

Amen to that, brother.....

Better than a reflektor 6V6? Ummm......a lot.

(but it will still never be a EL34)
i would love to try some NOS RCA 6V6GT's but I 'm not sure I want to pay $400 to find out if I like them or not - at least not yet

glman

EDIT....another thought: how is this amp biased? Did you rebias when you switched from EL34 to 6V6? An incorrectly-biased amp can sound bad, regardless of the type / brand of tube. If it's dialed in for EL34's, I'd imagine it would need a tweak or 2 to optimize it for 6V6's
The amp is cathode biased - and it's optimised to use 6V6's ? - can't figure out what's up.
it shipped with EL34's SED winged "C" but I received email from George Alessandro confirming that the ideal tubes for this amp are Mazda 6V6's - I've searched high and low on the net but cant locate these old tubes anywhere.
anyway - it's no biggie - George said it will run any octal tube just fine - I love the 34's in there for now so I'm happy - the 6V6's might grow on me as time goes by and maybe I'll give it another shot with some real 6V6's in a few months time if I can locate a decent quad here back home.
thanx for the info!

jokerjkny

hmm...

i'm using ol' JJ 6v6's, and i dig the sounds i'm getting. cause i'm a single coil guy, i like a little more thickness in the midrange, and the 6v6's do that for me. and the amp doesnt seem all that much more smoother than my english, too.

and FWIW, i remember george mentioning that he originally built the prototype bluetick w/ 6v6's for eric johnson, when i first got to play the amp at his shop all those years ago, and his sound is as smooth as it gets.

glman

hmm...

I'm using ol' JJ 6v6's, and i dig the sounds i'm getting. cause I'm a single coil guy, i like a little more thickness in the midrange, and the 6v6's do that for me. and the amp doesnt seem all that much more smoother than my english, too.

and FWIW, I remember George mentioning that he originally built the prototype bluetick w/ 6v6's for Eric Johnson, when i first got to play the amp at his shop all those years ago, and his sound is as smooth as it gets.
I can get JJ 6V6's here at home - I'll give them a shot.
from my understanding the JJ's are almost a 6L6? -
I'm sure I just need to give the amp a few months to settle down and then I'll really go to town ad try out all tubes I can lay my hands on.
for now - I really prefer the EL34's -

Trending Topics