Bluetron/Smitty Update

clarkram

I received an e-mail from Smitty this am and he asked that I post a heads up on TGP, so here it is:

Some of you already know that Smitty has moved to the Boston area. He has finished all tweaks on the Bluedrive and is training his brother (an electrical engineer?) to help build the amps.

He expects to be in full production mode soon and will be contacting everyone on the list with an update.

tnmccammon

Hello,

any news on Smitty? I'm not sure if anyone has gotten their amps since I got my Bluedrive last fall. I REALLY like my amp and am so satisfied. I really like Smitty too, he really cares about your tone and knows how to get it. Has anyone set the bias on their Bluedrive, if you have, could you let me know. Thanks, and good luck to those on the list.

Tony

stratomatt

What did it have in it before? KT66's? It would be cool to try 6L6's in my Bluedrive when I get it too. Thanks for the info Tony.

---matt

clarkram

to the few that may be interested, I started this thread at Smitty's request, however Smitty has disappeared into the proverbial shadows and has not contacted anyone that I know of.

same story, different month.........and on and on and on

jetstrat

Bluetron owners, how do you like your amps? Are they worth it? I just got an email from smitty a week ago explaining that he is making just one version of the bluedrive and they will all be the same. I think that's a great idea. I am on the list for a bluedrive and know all about the long wait and smitty dissapearing etc, so...are the amps worth it in the end?

How good do they sound?

Thanks

Marc Roy

I just checked out the clips on the Bluetron site. Sounds pretty damn impressive. Do they sound good at a low volume or do you have to crank it to get the goods?

therhodeo

I just checked out the clips on the Bluetron site. Sounds pretty damn impressive. Do they sound good at a low volume or do you have to crank it to get the goods?
The guy has disappeared and just generally been flaky as crap and you're still interested in his amps?

clarkram

I actually got to demo/hear the Bluedrive last August at the Nashville Ampshow. I was impressed with the tonal versatility at any level, yeah, I thought it was that good, good enough that I figured I would wait the wait,

one day???

gkoelling

If he contacts any of you guys, tell him I'm still waiting for my production faceplates for my Bluedrive. It's only been like, 3 years now? I'm losing track of time........

Thanks,
Dave Spencer
It might be fun to take a trip to Boston.:boxer

tnmccammon

Hey Matt,

Yeah, the tubes I had in there were JJ KT77. I broke one...oops, so I tried a pair of Sylvania EL34, and a few sets of 6L6GC's, one Mesa (china) and the other Sovetec...I liked the Mesa and they were closely matched.

Yes, the Bluedrive is amazing. Talk about clean sustain and smooth overdrive, wow! And you can get these aspects at a low volume, the master works great. It is a special design. Anyone who hears the amp wants one. Yeah, I waited a long time but am happy I did.

Tony

TDJMB

Platinum Supporting Member
I've hesitated about posting this but it seems like nothing has changed:

I placed a deposit over the phone in September, 2008 and was told I'd get a demo amp within a month. I emailed Smitty in January, 2009 and he replied, promising to send an amp within a week or two. After receiving no amp & no communication, I canceled my order in March, 2009 and requested my $1K back. I think Smitty's attitude is deposits are non-refundable even when no product is supplied (although I know he made at least one refund). Consumer agencies have gotten no response.

I know I'm not the only one who is waiting either for a refund or for an amp.

I've had good experiences with other manufacturers that I found on TGP so I let my guard down. I would recommend getting something in writing with a delivery date. Also note: I put the deposit on my Visa card but, after 60 days, they won't take any action.

jetstrat

hmmm, a little less than a year ago i started to research bluedrive and came to the conclusion that sending $1000 away for a deposit on am amp I may or may not get might not be the smartest thing. I bought an Allen Old Flame and am 110% happy with it--I absolutely love the Allen. I just have GAS for no reason other than the layout of the bluedrive sounds very interesting. I guess i am falling for the hype. Apparently after smitty builds the backlog of amps he is going to make all bluedrives the same. That makes sense to me as he can keep making them the same way and sell them in a shorter time instead of going through the demo amp, try-out phases. Anyway, i am still hesitant to send any money his way right now.

* velcro-fly *

Silver Supporting Member
I got to play through one and was immediately smitten. I should've bought it when it was local....oh well.

gkoelling

I've hesitated about posting this but it seems like nothing has changed:

I placed a deposit over the phone in September, 2008 and was told I'd get a demo amp within a month. I emailed Smitty in January, 2009 and he replied, promising to send an amp within a week or two. After receiving no amp & no communication, I canceled my order in March, 2009 and requested my $1K back. I think Smitty's attitude is deposits are non-refundable even when no product is supplied (although I know he made at least one refund). Consumer agencies have gotten no response.

I know I'm not the only one who is waiting either for a refund or for an amp.

I've had good experiences with other manufacturers that I found on TGP so I let my guard down. I would recommend getting something in writing with a delivery date. Also note: I put the deposit on my Visa card but, after 60 days, they won't take any action.
Getting a promise in writing from a person whose word is worthless will do you no good.

Just on principle, I wouldn't buy one of his amps used. Hell, I wouldn't even plug-in to one. I wouldn't want to soil my guitar cord.

therhodeo

Getting a promise in writing from a person whose word is worthless will do you no good.

Just on principle, I wouldn't buy one of his amps used. Hell, I wouldn't even plug-in to one. I wouldn't want to soil my guitar cord.
But everyone knows good tone is worth getting bent over for.

Senor Forum

Double Platinum Member

:munch:munch:munch

Seriously, this is the kind of stuff the snax smiley was made for.

:banana:banana

stratomatt

Tony,

Man I didn't realize you tried out so many differnt tubes in that thing. Did you re-bias everytime? Do you like the 6L6's better than the KT77's? Smitty told me that my first amp would be shipping this week, so hopefully I'll get a chance to gig with it at the end of the month. Smitty has been very responsive to my e-mails lately. In the end, he's always been nothing but polite to me and now I'm hoping to play this thing soon!

Trending Topics