BluGuitar Amp 1 experiences

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gp81, Apr 14, 2017.

1. SkylineUK

SkylineUK Member

I understand better now, thanks for the knowledgeable posts above.
    Class D is analog, but it is solid state. I remember here in the UK the old HH solid state amps - they were marketed in the 1970s as the answer to the maiden's prayer, but didn't succeed because of their harshness. I remember being in a band and the other guitarist was playing a Telecaster through an HH amp and standing near that combination was like being sliced with cheese wire, or that's what I said to hm and he wasn't best pleased...:oops:
    Anyway, I'll steer clear of the solid state BluGuitar and stick to lugging around my Marshalls, much as I'd prefer a more easily portable product.

zwiefldraader likes this.
  2. 108

108 Member

That was nearly a half century ago. Technology has advanced.

3. SkylineUK

SkylineUK Member

True. But solid state amps still can't overdrive like valve ones, and still don't sell as well for that reason. I know there are hybrid amps but they don't seem to have caught on either.

4. 108

108 Member

I tend to judge with my ears, but you do you.

LordByron likes this.
  5. Daniel Travis

Daniel Travis Member

I judge with my ears too.

And judging from both my experience with the bluguitar and the previously posted live vids, I'm definitely lugging around my half stack.

It doesn't sound BAD, but it doesn't exactly sound inspiring to me.

Not in the way a good D style does, or a good plexi, or a good blackface.

It sounds okay. If you don't wanna lug around a ton of gear that might be the solution for you.

But if you think it sounds like roaring big iron, I have to dissent.

SkylineUK likes this.
  6. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

To my read PWM certainly breaks the signal into sections and recreates it for the final form.
    Not an ADA conversion but a conversion nonetheless.
    Is that a problem?
    If it really does not sound as 'good' as a Marshall, in real life, side by side through complementary well matched speakers there may be basis for complaint and the cause may be related to the D amp...or not.. IF it sounds worse. What if it sounds different but BETTER:eek:?

zwiefldraader likes this.
  7. beej

beej Supporting Member

New owner here ... thought I'd chime in. I just picked up the Mercury Edition this week. I'd been using the Blubox (love it ... well thought-out piece of gear) with my Guytron for gigs for quite some time, so decided to go further down the rabbit hole.

Still in the early stages, but what a fantastic unit! The vintage/classic channels are exceptional. I don't love the clean as much, but it's certainly very usable. Great job, Thomas!

Planning to start using it with the band at the next rehearsal, to see how it stacks up. I'll stick it on the floor, assign three presents to the footswitches (figure vintage, classic, classic+boost), and use an external f/s to toggle the clean channel.

lucb likes this.
  8. SkylineUK

SkylineUK Member

Thanks for the info. Let us know how you get on!

9. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

@lefromagegrand ... Many thanks for the brilliant article on how Class D really works! Much appreciated....and NO folks, it ain’t digital, it is analog...just a different more efficient approach to Amplification

10. ljholland

ljholland Silver Supporting Member

Thomas voiced the clean to be like Marshall cleans - which are an acquired taste. I've always been more of a Fender guy so the clean channel didn't appeal to me as much at first. Then, I started scooping the EQ controls a bit (lower the mids, raise the treble) and that seemed to do the trick. See if that help. (btw, you don't need to move the knobs that much...a little goes a long way)

11. beej

beej Supporting Member

Yes, that makes sense. I tend to prefer something more chimey, but the vintage channel with lower gain does a good job too.

12. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

However, does the signal not get chopped up and reconstructed?
    [​IMG]