Bluguitar Amp1 users thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DutchGuitarDude, Nov 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. jds22

jds22 Member

Sorry if this has been mentioned before.
    I know the Mercury edition is based of Marshalls. Plexi, JCM, etc.
    What about the Iridium? Is it based off of Marshalls or different amps?

Even though I'm not really a metal player I do prefer higher gain tones with a tight bottom. For example, my EVH 5150's Blue channel was my favorite tone out of any amp I've owned in 30 years. Of course I sold it like a moron but that's another story.

Still haven't decided if I'm going to go the Bluguitar route or not. If I do, I'll probably order both versions to compare and return one of them. They're small so shipping won't be that bad.

2. walshb

walshb Member

The Iridium is composed of 3 different amps and 9 different cabs, 3 per amp. A Fender Deluxe, a Vox AC30 and a Marshall Plexi. It does a very good job of all three. The Marshall setting actually has slightly more gain than a Plexi, but that was intentional in the design. It's great for going direct to PA and for recording. I can't say how it compares to the Bluguitar though, I have no experience with that.

3. lucb

lucb Member

The amp1 is a complete amp (preamp & poweramp 100watt). Iridium is just a stompbox with cab simulator to go direct or in a poweramp

4. jds22

jds22 Member

Sorry I should have been more clear.
    I was asking about the BluGuitar Amp1 Iridium edition not the Strymon Iridium. But I do appreciate the info on the Strymon.

5. LaXu

LaXu Member

You are thinking of the Strymon Iridium, not the BluGuitar Iridium!

the BG Iridium is a high gain beast and I think it has a mix or JCM800, some ENGL etc in it. But neither of the BluGuitar amps is a modeler per se, all of the sounds are "inspired by" rather than "this is an exact reproduction of a specific amp".

LordByron and jds22 like this.
  6. walshb

walshb Member

Oops! My bad! Thanks for letting me know, I didn't read the whole thread, I had searched for "Iridium" and this came up. ;)

jds22 likes this.
  7. rauchman

rauchman Member

I've been a new amp quest for the last couple of months, and the path has led me to the BluGuitar Amp1 /Mercury/Irridium.

Is the Irridium the same amp as the Mercury, with the addition of the Modern channel?

I'm also considering a multieffects unit. Is getting something like a Boss GT1000 now redundant for the amp settings when also using the BG?
    I'm guessing something like a Helix Go would be optimal with this?
    I've seen the Matrix NL-12 referenced a lot in this thread. Anyone tried their 2x12? Also, for an angled vertical 2x12, any recommendations for this amp?
    How does this amp sound with an FRFR?
    When using the BluBox, what kind of cab/speaker is optimal for this?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  8. jds22

jds22 Member

I don't have one but am in the same boat as you. Been doing a lot of research on these.
    As to the Iridium vs. Mercury question, while they both have a modern channel I think all of the channels are voiced differently between the two units.

LordByron and rauchman like this.
  9. LaXu

LaXu Member

All channels are different between Mercury and Iridium. They just reused most of the parts for the Iridium so you have the same channel names etc.

I find that my Mercury Edition sounds pretty great when running Line6 Helix models direct into the poweramp so nothing stops you from combining amp sims with it. I would go for the HX Stomp over the Pod Go because the HX Stomp has MIDI I/O which can be used to control the BluGuitar amps with a MIDI adapter.

I would recommend a guitar cabinet rather than a FRFR setup with the BluGuitar amps.

LordByron and rauchman like this.
  10. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides!

An eastbound man, in a westbound lane (ATL)
    +1 on @LaXu's statements.

I've gigged my Mercury edition a number of times with an HX Effects or HX Stomp in front of it and it was a great combination.

My favorite cab with the Amp1 is my vertical, slant-front Jet City cab with own-branded Eminence speakers in it. The combo sounds killer. I also have a couple of light weight 1x12 cabs that sound really good with it (an open back with a Celestion goldback and a Matrix NeoLight N12) and are really great when fast-and-light load-in is a necessity.

rauchman likes this.
  11. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

How accurate is the 100 watt power rating compared to a regular tube amp? Does it compare to a 100 watt Marshall running full tilt or is it more along the lines of a 100 watt SS amp which is closer to a 40 watt tube amp?

12. LaXu

LaXu Member

I measured about 117 dB @ 1m from my 45W Bogner cranked through a 100 dB sensitivity 1x12. The BluGuitar measured 120 dB through the same cab, which lines up with the +3dB increase from 50 to 100W.

bluegrif and LordByron like this.
  13. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Impressive. I watched Phil McKnight's vid about the Amp1 and he said it was about as loud as his Fender Supersonic 22 run through the same speaker. Not sure why the difference between his results and yours given the Fender being 22 watts. He didn't mention anything about using a dB meter though so yours is most likely more accurate.

Either way, I'd be fine with 22 watts too, just wondering if the Amp1 would be loud enough to use in a situation that would call for an actual 100 tube watts. One of my previous bands was like that... hard rock/metal cover band with everyone being obnoxiously loud. A 50+ watt tube amp and 120 watt Solid State amp were a necessity in that band.

14. LaXu

LaXu Member

Yeah I would not necessarily trust any "sounds about as loud as X" comparison when we are notoriously bad at judging volume levels.

Note that the BluGuitar reacts like a tube amp so it starts to get powertube distortion after about 6 on the master volume. I didn't really measure it for how loud it gets clean, this was overdrive tones from both amps. But in general I don't think volume is an issue with these.

LordByron likes this.
  15. jco5055

jco5055 Member

Hi guys, another potential Amp1 buyer here with some questions (I'd specifically go for the Iridium edition, but I don't think my questions are particular to that model).

One of my main concerns/reasons for unloading my traditional head + 4x12 is the sound level. I understand this model can get LOUD like a "real" amp, but does it have the same realistic amp-like response at low levels, meaning if I wanted to play with a 1x12 would I need a loadbox/attenuator in order to sound good at apt levels? I know the blubox can replace a cab but I believe i'd still need a loadbox. Also, I still need an audio interface for recording correct? The Amp 1 and/or blubox doesn't act as an interface?

16. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Attenuators are specific to tube amps and are likely to be a non-starter for use with Amp1. Maybe check with Thomas. Plus, I'll bet they would say the MV works great.

LordByron and jco5055 like this.
  17. LaXu

LaXu Member

No you don't need an attenuator. Physics still apply so it can't do magic but it sounds very good at all but the very lowest volumes. Perfectly fine to use at home. You don't need a loadbox because it has a built-in powersoak! You need the MIDI adapter and any MIDI controller or the BluGuitar Remote1 floorboard to access it but it lets you crank the amp and turn the volume down if you want. The powersoak is not at all necessary but it's there if you want it. I don't use it personally.

Amp 1 does not act as an audio interface and IMO the recording out is better for live use than direct recording. Blubox will do the trick.

LordByron and jco5055 like this.
  18. apeekaboo

apeekaboo Member

I'm not 100% sure you need the Remote1 to use the attenuator on the Iridum and Mercury editions, I'm under the impression that you can use a combination of the buttons to control the attenuation on the newer editions. I've tried the button combinations to control the attenuator on my Amp1, but this doesn't work on the first edition so for these amps you'll definitely need the Remote1. I bought a Remote1 second hand, because I thought I wanted power amp distortion, but I run some stuff in the loop that I'd rather not have distorted so I don't use it. I think it attenuates down to 7W which is pretty damn loud in an apartment anyway...

The Amp1 has a built-in cab sim on the line out, but you will get better results with a cab sim with controls. I connect the line out with an Omni Cabsim Deluxe for when I want to go directly to the mixer, but a real cab can still be used at the same time if you want to use a monitor on stage. The Amp1 is not picky about the cabinets used. You can use 8 or 16 ohms, or even disconnect the speaker without hurting the Amp1. Thomas Blug has said so himself and I think it's also mentioned in the manual.

The response and feel of the Amp1 is great even at apartment volume, but you'll lose some of that at bedroom levels.

jco5055 likes this.
  19. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Has anyone here used a standard 2-button footswitch to control the channel and boost? Does it work as advertised or are there any issues?

20. apeekaboo

apeekaboo Member

I think you'll need a latching foot switch to control the channel and boost. I use the triggers on a Boss MS-3.