BluGuitar Amp1

donnyrocker

OK! All I need is a nice light-weight 112 and I'm good to go!

Rehearsal last Thursday and one-set for a benefit the following Saturday featured the Amp1 into my 212 Mystery-Loaded cabinet (friend-built; sounds like a 412 and I wouldn't take "no" for an answer to sell it to me). Rehearsal: 2006 Gibson SG Faded, Maxxon OD-9 (I didn't have the Amp1's boost dialed in yet). It sounded fine. Between rehearsal and gig I tried out my Broadcaster'd 52 RI Tele and my #2 MIM '84 Strat Standard (Jeff Jones custom pickups; Kinman wiring) as well as the SG and I was getting great sounds out of the Strat, for the type of gig I was to play. I also had time to dial in the little side knobs, at least for the gig.

(The Amp1 really sounds like whatever guitar is plugged into it. The Tele sounds great, but was too authentically Tele for a glam+punk rock vibe—imagine Sweet covering the BeeGees...)

For the gig itself, I *probably* could have gone straight Amp1 and MysteryCab, but I hedged and had an Xotic SP to goose the leads. While no one came up to compliment me on my tone per se (the other bands had a Marshall JCM 2000 half stack and a Marshall DSL40c—both of which I've owned or currently own), a number only saw the MysteryCab turned 90° on end such that the question was, "What amp did you use?" I was able to finesse the guitar to manage the tones I wanted from the amp, as with any previous amp at any previous gig, which is all I really want.

Caveat emptor: There is a no-sound gap when engaging/disengaging the Boost. The boost tends to respond like a clean boost, which I tend to leave on all the time (think Xotic EP pedal). While not noticeable in a bashing rock band's performance, or kicking it on if there's another guitarist in the band covering rhythm, I don't know that I would turn it on and off while recording or any other situation where the guitar+amp is an isolated performance.

I can probably get rid of my combos (Marshall DSL40c, Peavey VK 50w 112, Roland Cube 80 112, Roland GA212 and any modeler) I have in the house.

Last edited:

Befuddled

Caveat emptor: There is a no-sound gap when engaging/disengaging the Boost. The boost tends to respond like a clean boost, which I tend to leave on all the time (think Xotic EP pedal). While not noticeable in a bashing rock band's performance, or kicking it on if there's another guitarist in the band covering rhythm, I don't know that I would turn it on and off while recording or any other situation where the guitar+amp is an isolated performance.
This gap thing I am hearing about is a bummer! Is there any gap when switching channels, like one might do on another two channel amp? I know there are four channels which would make it less convenient to switch back and forth from clean and mean, but if theres no gap it might be worth it to devise a way to do so.

uberschall

For me, I noticed the gap on the channels, not the boost. I initially thought there was one, but after I noticed that the boost activates on the release of the switch, not the press, it didn't feel like a gap anymore.

I wouldn't be dissuaded from the Amp 1 because of the channel gap, if you like the rest of it. Live, if you artfully choose a good place to change channels slightly before the downbeat where you want the change, you can hide it, especially if you have delay or reverb going to fill in the space. Of course, for recording, it may be a problem if you're trying to lay down both sounds on one take.

However, I did have a negative issue- what I believe to be the fragile nature of the tone/volume pots on the side: I had pots break on 3 units, under what I thought was normal, careful usage. I even heard and felt one "crunch" while turning it slowly- it then spun freely. I sent them all back and corresponded with Bluguitar about it for a bit. My last message, via email and twice on Facebook, was to see if the quality of the pots or connections could be upgraded, but they never responded.

So I don't have one now, even though I really LOVE the whole Amp 1 system; I'm not that happy about it. I haven't heard anybody else mention it, though, so perhaps I'm just not good with really tiny, hard-to-turn pots that are very close together!

uberschall

UPDATE on my broken side pots, described in the above post: Thomas Blug has assured me that they know the cause of the breakage- some pots not being mounted straight internally- and are taking care of the problem at the manufacturing stage. I'm now trying another product but won't hesitate to get another Amp 1 as soon as it's possible for me to do so.

Befuddled

UPDATE on my broken side pots, described in the above post: Thomas Blug has assured me that they know the cause of the breakage- some pots not being mounted straight internally- and are taking care of the problem at the manufacturing stage. I'm now trying another product but won't hesitate to get another Amp 1 as soon as it's possible for me to do so.
Thanks for keeping us in the know!

Baloo

For me, I noticed the gap on the channels, not the boost. I initially thought there was one, but after I noticed that the boost activates on the release of the switch, not the press, it didn't feel like a gap anymore.

I wouldn't be dissuaded from the Amp 1 because of the channel gap, if you like the rest of it. Live, if you artfully choose a good place to change channels slightly before the downbeat where you want the change, you can hide it, especially if you have delay or reverb going to fill in the space. Of course, for recording, it may be a problem if you're trying to lay down both sounds on one take.

However, I did have a negative issue- what I believe to be the fragile nature of the tone/volume pots on the side: I had pots break on 3 units, under what I thought was normal, careful usage. I even heard and felt one "crunch" while turning it slowly- it then spun freely. I sent them all back and corresponded with Bluguitar about it for a bit. My last message, via email and twice on Facebook, was to see if the quality of the pots or connections could be upgraded, but they never responded.

So I don't have one now, even though I really LOVE the whole Amp 1 system; I'm not that happy about it. I haven't heard anybody else mention it, though, so perhaps I'm just not good with really tiny, hard-to-turn pots that are very close together!
Another not entirely happy AMP1 user here. I just noticed the same kinda gap when switching channels. I use AMP1 with the MIDI1 adapter which helps to connect it to my BOSS GT-100 board (I use the GT with the 4 cable method, and it's awesome, the sound itself is really great). The GT controls channel switching via MIDI Program Change. I had no problem with the MIDI-Learn function of AMP1 but as soon as I start using it and actually change channels on AMP1 I can hear the... well I wouldn't call it gap, it's rather latency. For example I use my heavy OD sound and then I want to switch to clean and the channel switching comes just a little late so that the OD tone overlap is like a bark or a little shout before it actually switches to the Clean Channel. Very annoying. I really wonder if this can be solved or not... cuz if not, it's a dealbreaker for me.

Befuddled

Really interesting that some are getting lag/latency on different things, and I assume some (the quiet ones lol) have no problems at all! I would really like some official explanation of what the PowerSoak function is and why its only accessible via the Remote. I know the amp1 has a speaker load built in post master volume (on the amp itself), I remember doing research on that. So what is the difference from that and a "PowerSoak" feature?

I really want to like the product and the man behind it but all these silly words and names and proprietary speaker cables and trademarked everything makes me feel like they are trying to be the Apple of the guitar world. Lots of descriptive-but-not-descriptive titles with trademarks smeared all over all of it with very little actual information conveyed. Brochures and manuals don't bring many answers either. It seems marketed towards a buyer that doesn't care about things/specifics/understanding as much as the gear page does haha!

guitardr

Silver Supporting Member
Question for other Amp1 owners...
On the bottom of the unit is a push button for +4db/-10db for the FX Loop as illustrated on Pg. 88 in Figure 2. I have a hole instead of any button: is this how they come so the tweak has to be done with a small screwdriver; or did the possibly missing button fall out? Yikes!

uberschall

Question for other Amp1 owners...
On the bottom of the unit is a push button for +4db/-10db for the FX Loop as illustrated on Pg. 88 in Figure 2. I have a hole instead of any button: is this how they come so the tweak has to be done with a small screwdriver; or did the possibly missing button fall out? Yikes!
The button is very small and you can't really see it- I used an opened paper clip to hit mine. After you switch it a couple times you can feel what position it's in.

donnyrocker

I've used it on a few more gigs, plugging into pristine-yet-preowned Carvin 112 cab (probably the same weight as the smaller Bluguitar speaker cab) loaded w a 100w Carvin labeled speaker. I haven't noticed any gap while channel switching, if there is one. I'm using an Xotic SP to boost my solos and a Keeley Memphis Sun for reverb (but more for slap back echo) instead of the on-board boost and reverb.

One thing: be mindful of the Master volume setting. The Carvin cab got REALLY LOUD and I kept dialing the Gain and Channel volume controls before remembering the Master

The Amp1 is attached to my pedal board. I have a case for the board, the external cab and a guitar or two. That's still four pieces of gear I'm managing :/ but it is lighter overall and I can get decent tone at any volume—if I remember the Master...

Last edited:

chiselburn

Tried it at the local guitar store, the distortion channels are quite loose to my ears, no matter how I set it...For the noise gate, I used the gain channel first and turned on the noise gate, when I switch to the clean channel, it cuts my clean signal..I really like Thomas Blug and hope there's a Amp2 with all these problem solved.

CowTipton

Silver Supporting Member
I listened to his appearance on the No Guitar is Safe podcast with Jude Gold.
Very interesting guy and that AMP1 sounds pretty good. If I didn't already have an HX Stomp I may have tried this new Mercury Edition as they are in a similiar price range.

I was very interested in this amp until I joined the Facebook group where there’s far too many posts talking about issues or completely dead units.

ljholland

Silver Supporting Member
I’m using the original version. It’s great. If I were into metal, I’d probably upgrade but as is, version 1 is fine.

Grimace

Blug has a certain style and personally plays a strat with vintage output pickups. The original Amp1 is what he wants to hear. If you play through it with a strat or other vintage output single coils that have a lot of top end and chime and less bass, it is at its best. The vintage channel is voiced perfect for that application. Humbuckers, in particular higher output ones, can start to sound "loose" as others have described it. I think the Mercury is meant to accommodate different guitars better. If you want something that complements your strat or low output single coil sounds in general, the original version is fantastic.

Last edited:

CarlGuitarist

Blug has a certain style and personally plays a strat with vintage output pickups. The original Amp1 is what he wants to hear. If you play through it with a strat or other vintage output single coils that have a lot of top end and chime and less bass, it is at its best. The vintage channel is voiced perfect for that application. Humbuckers, in particular higher output ones, can start to sound "loose" as others have described it. I think the Mercury is meant to accommodate different guitars better. If you want something that complements your strat or low output single coil sounds in general, the original version is fantastic.
Exactly this. If I only played classic rock a la Zeppelin, Deep Purple etc I could easily gig with the original version and a delay pedal only.

Trending Topics