BLUZ Players Only

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jbylake, Jan 21, 2007.

1. jbylake

jbylake Supporting Member

Do any of you blues players use any effects other than the typical. OD's, Wah, Delay?
    I use: Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
    HBE UFO Fuzz/Octave
    2 Modded Maxon OD 808's (modded to exact same specs)
    Analogman Beano
    ISP Noise Decimator (don't know if that counts as a pedal)
    Barber Tone Press
    Just added: (Carl Martin Red Repeat Delay Echo).

I have numerous other pedals, although I sold a bunch of them, because they weren't being used.

Brand Names don't matter, just do you use in your blues gigs, anything else besides Wah, Fuzz,OD and Delay?

Just curious, and might want to experiment.

No. 1 rig: American Strat Standard, (pedals), Fender RI Blues De'ville

Anyone use Flangers/Phasers/other stuff unusual to the average blues player's arsenal, besides the aforementioned?

Thanks,

J.C.:BEER

2. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Wow. Them's alotta peds for the Bl00z.

The traditionalists would flay you alive if they knew.

:AOK

3. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

For me it's outboard reverb, delay in front. Both on at all times. Trem pedal and (sometimes) clean boost in front of that. I use both of the latter sparingly.

4. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Member

Johnny Winter's "blues" tone has some chorusing in it. Duke Robillard will occasionally uses a chorus pedal set to approximate a leslie rotating speaker.
    Hendrix used all kinds of stuff...

For me, I use a little chorus (rarely), delay/echo, od's, & a wah.

5. jbylake

Yeah, most guy's I know use an OD and Wah at most. :messedup

6. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

yep, them blues nazis will crucify ya using that many buttons.:D

7. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member

Chandler Tone X (in a box).

8. jbylake

Isn't that a boost? I haven't seen one that I know of. I know they used to make a boosted tone control that you installed in your guitar, and had a battery powered circuit that boosted your signal, and let you sweep the tone (like an onboard wah). Please correct me if I'm wrong. Just not sure.:confused:

9. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

You don't need effects for blues -- and it sounds better dry anyway.

10. Mullet Kingdom

Hi.

Um, yeah...excuse me but this is a public form, is it not?

I don't recall reading anything along the lines of, "please only post comments in this thread if you agree with me," in your initial post. And where in my previous post did I claim to be an expert?

11. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

he didnt say anything the previous posters didnt already say.:messedup

12. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

13. jbylake

That's interesting, the fuzz face clone. I use an HBE UFO fuzz/octave on a daily basis, albeit somewhat sparingly. Most of my Blues friends won't have a fuzz pedal on their board, if you gave it to them....well, to each his own, I guess.
    J.C.

14. jbylake

Yep, your right, need to chill. but it kind of irks me when someone (in this case myself) asks a very simple question, and then there is always someone in the crowd that feels the need to psychoanalyze your "real-intent".

:NUTS

15. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

you're an asshat. I've heard mullet kingdom play, and he knows what he's talking about, so perhaps instead of going off some weird ass unprovoked tangent, how about you just stop and consider what he originally said. if no effects doesn't work for you, no biggie. move on.

16. Sid

Sid Member

The more I play, the more I wanna reduce the number of pedals I have..and I already have quite a few...hmm....maybe i shld post in the emporium:jo

I agree with mullet....when I play the blues...I like just one OD....either very little or no delay.....though with a strat the temptation to play clean is too high....:dude

17. Mullet Kingdom

Actually, c-o-n-d-e-s-c-e-n-d-i-n-g (you're welcome :AOK ) is putting the word expert in quotations and then proceeding to act like a douche-bag.

Have a nice night. :moon

18. elchato

elchato Member

I use a little bit of chorus and an envelope filter (but that's more for funky stuff) from time to time

19. jbylake

Yeah, I hear you. I used to have way too many pedals. The main reason, I guess, was when trying to do covers, most of the audiance in clubs want to hear a song played just like the origional, rather than my own interpretation. I finally got tired of that trap door, slimmed down my pedal board, and just play the songs the way that I want to play them. But my main intent for this thread, was to see what other people, that I can't see play, are using. I think the wierdest thing I've done is record "When the Levee Breaks", with a flanger and acoustic electric. I can't remember who actually wrote it, but I tried to do it sans Zepplin, and sans John Bohnam's
    earthquake provoking drums. I added a backing track with an electric, just enough to fill things out a little. Played the demo for a bunch of people. Some didn't get it, or just plain didn't like it. A few thought it was cool, albeit "off the wall". After a bunch of listens, I thought it was a bit wierd too, for blues..anyway, and never played it live. As for playing clean, I play a lot of songs clean, but still prefer to have one od in line, for a strat, just to push the amp along a little, at quiet levels.

20. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Most of the tone I get is from the tube amp. I do use a very very slight delay and I have a fulldrive 2 for some clean boost for kicking up some solos. I also have a boss tuner, a vintage cry baby and a morley volume pedal to round out the heard. Again most of the time, it's the amp and slight delay.

Johnny