BMF Effects Liquid Sky: A Chorus I Actually Dig!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by coot tone, Mar 19, 2012.

1. coot tone

coot tone Member

So a few months ago, dissatisfied with my Option 5 Destination Rotation Single, I started a conversation with Scott about the whole Leslie thing, and how I wanted something with a Leslie vibe but really didn't use it enough to justify it taking up real estate on my board. We talked about his Liquid Sky chorus, and I told him that I just wasn't a chorus guy (which was a huge understatement). Long story short, I gave his Liquid Sky a shot, and it has not moved an inch off of my board since. Imagine a chorus that does a primo Gilmourish chorus AND a pretty damn good "Badge" to "Let It Loose" Leslie sound. Yeah, there's no ramping ability, but damn it Jim, I'm a guitar player, not a dancer! Anyway, I think it deserves some props! Scott makes fantastic boxes, I wish I had them all!

2. Mick_Braun

Mick_Braun Silver Supporting Member

^ This!

I love the Liquid Sky. I'm more of a "subtle" chorus guy so I typically don't have the mix above noon (depth at 2:00, speed at 10:00).

3. 8strings0hair

8strings0hair Member

Just checked out a demo on youtube. Sounds great, very subtle. Almost has a phaser/vibe quality to it. Does it use any LEDs/photocells?

4. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

Thanks guys, glad to hear people are diggin' it. 8strings0hair...replied to your emaill but it's BBD driven.

5. 8strings0hair

8strings0hair Member

Yeah Scott, and thanks for that.
    Aaaaaaaaand I've found a used one that's on the way... very excited to try it out for myself :)

6. 8strings0hair

8strings0hair Member

OK, so here's the update with a quick review.

First off, it turned a rainy murky day spent indoors into a pretty fun Liquid laden sonic experiment, so thanks for that :)

I went back to it three times today. Always a great sign.
    Long story short, I agree with coot tone about it being a chorus for guys who don't like chorus. For most, chorus is equated to a bright shimmering modulation, and can make things sound too "thin", or too "pretty".
    I love chorus. And I like to try out different flavors. The Liquid Sky (to my ears) isn't even strictly a Chorus. It straddles elegantly the phaser and vibe territories as well. Even hear some flange. Very chewy.
    Now the downside (for some) is it achieves some of its mojo by filtering out the high end. This is not a transparent pedal. Even with the Mix all the way down, my highs were noticeably rolled off.
    But I don't mind pedals that impart their own sonic character to your basic tone if they're musical. And the Liquid Sky definitely is.
    From slow, throbbing Chorus to fast vibe/leslie sounds it has a lot of range. The Blend knob is key as you can have the effect sit in the background, or much more pronounced if you prefer (I like the former).
    The three controls are pretty interactive too. As you increase the Blend, changes in Depth and Speed become more noticeable.

I had my Wetbox next to it, intending to A/B it, but to be fair the comparison doesn't seem relevant.
    The Wetbox is a very good shimmering type of Chorus, without any alteration to your basic tone. The Liquid Sky is a warm/dark modulation pedal with a very distinct flavor.
    They both fall under the chorus denomination, but I must give kudos to BMF for giving its pedal a very unique character, bold enough to stray from the countless Arion & Boss re-iterations.

It's clear that I'll keep experimenting with it, and I can't wait to bring it to rehearsal to hear it with the full band.

7. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

I'm not usually a chorus guy either and I love mine. I use it for subtle chorus and for a Leslie sim. It's a definite keeper.

8. coot tone

coot tone Member

Love the way mine sounds behind an OD, too.