BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Srvwannab, May 15, 2015.

1. Srvwannab

Srvwannab Silver Supporting Member

So... I've done a fair amount of research on this model and I think there is a lot to like. The wheelbase is identical to the 7 series, and it is supposed to be one of the most comfortable cars on the road.

I actually think the hatch is practical thing, and I like the slightly elevated seating. I think they are pretty inexpensive on the pre-owned markets as the styling is a little bit polarizing, and, it ain't really a sedan, and it ain't really an SUV...

So, I've got an easy question for you. Is it just too "Aztek-ish"?
    [​IMG]

Finally, if you are inclined to be snarky, please resist, the "this thread is just sooo TGP" comments.

2. Tonekat

Tonekat Member

I have a friend who took one home from the dealership for a weekend, thinking she was going to buy it. I went with her on a long ride to do errands at Home Depot, etc. It was nice, has a great sound system, plenty of power and amazing features. Not like the Aztek at all. I see one in my parking garage at work.

The only reason she ended up buying a 3 diesel instead, is that when she heard what her inheritance was, she didn't realize she had to split it with her two brothers, LOL.

She still wishes she could have bought the 5 GT.

3. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

"Aztek-ish" as in the car? I really don't like the back. For years and years BMW lead the way. Now even BMW's look similar yet not really better than a Honda Accord or several other cars. After the Iraq invasion everything took on a military veil in design. It has been a prolonged ugly phase.

4. mmolteratx

mmolteratx Member

Ugly as balls, great car. I'd much rather they have styled it like a more traditional station wagon in the rear. The scrunched up X6 look is weird.

5. Srvwannab

Some folks have compared the styling to the Pontiac Aztek...

6. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Member

Pontiac Aztek, Honda Accord Crosstour, all hideous vehicles that are now discontinued. I have no idea why BMW thought they could make this design work, it's fugly as it gets and it's not selling at all.

Another thing to consider is resale. Vehicles that don't sell have terrible resale.

7. daa2202

daa2202 Silver Supporting Member

The 5 GT is primarily aimed at the Chinese market.

8. Faded

Faded Member

Its a nice car, but like many BMW's it looks like a Honda to me. In this case a crosstour.

Id still own one though.

9. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

It's a very nice car the interior is really good. When these came out I thought who would buy one of these new? Then I immediately thought I bet these will be a bargain on the used market based on the styling alone.

10. smcgov

smcgov Member

agreed...BMW's look like Hondas to me. Its just a really expensive Crosstour.

I like Hondas, have a Civic, but don't want to pay double for them.

11. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

"I think they are pretty inexpensive on the pre-owned markets as the styling is a little bit polarizing, and, it ain't really a sedan, and it ain't really an SUV..."

They are cheap used compared to "normal" bodied 5 series because they are a little weird.
    I would rather have a real wagon, personally, but since BMW won't send us one this is not a bad alternative as long as you understand that going in cheap means you get out cheap as well.

12. cygnusx1

cygnusx1 Member

I work for Bmw and can say that nothing out there on the Market, will ever drive or handle like a bmw.

Minte likes this.
  13. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I sat in one of these a month ago. Not sure how they did it, but it was the most comfortable seat I've ever sat in. Different than the other BMWs. Not the most pleasing outside, may want to just get an X3 or X5 at that point.

My last car was an Audi and also own a honda, and I was pleasantly reminded of how amazing these cars are engineered and feel.

Srvwannab likes this.
  14. Srvwannab

Aside from what could be called "super cars"- I have owned all of the European Marquees. IMVHO- he speaks the truth.

15. VicAjax

VicAjax Male Supermodel

Just like a Honda, without that pesky reliability!

I love a BMW touring. This is no touring.

16. Srvwannab

BMW offers something I think they call a "Multi-Contour" Seat. I sat in one while shopping for this car. I would describe this seat as a religious experience. Then, I found a great buy on a GT out of state. I called the salesmen on the phone and asked him about the lack of the multi-contour seat option. The guy says to me, "As much as I'd love to sell you the car, I personally wouldn't buy one without those seats."

I found a short term lease assumption on a '13 550i GT this week. I've never done assumed a lease before, so this has been a new experience. What I can say is the folks at BMW Financial Services are nicest, most responsive people on Earth. Every part of this transaction has been white glove service.

17. Srvwannab

I also love the Touring. I think wagons are cool as heck.

I will also say that if you don't know the difference between a BMW on a Honda when driving them... you are definitely better served by the Honda.

The German car owning experience isn't for the faint of heart, and, the ownership of a Honda or a Toyota will be a way easier, less expensive experience.

18. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

I have owned BMW, Mercedes and Honda. Love the way BMWs drive. Also - great service department and just easy to deal with all around.

However, here is the one issue I have.... I was test driving some MBs a couple months ago with my GF. Mid size stuff like E350. Great car - I actually like the styling better than BMW at this point and the E350 Sport is a pretty nice handling car in its own right.

However, IMHO, there is no longer enough separation between the mid-size MBs/BMWs versus the 6 Cylinder Accords to warrant an extra $30,000. I drove a couple 6 cylinder Accrods, and they are absolutely "lights out" at that price point...I mean a no-brainer. I just did not feel the MB was worth an additional $27k or $30k...or whatever it was. 8-10 years ago, I would not have said this. But the refinements, safety features and tech in the newest 6 cylinder Hondas - along with a great engine and transmission - make the German cars (at least n the mid-level range) a real tough buy in my mind.

I mean you can stroke a $30k check for a 6 cylinder Accord, walk off the lot with the car, and have no car note. You stroke the same $30k check for the BMW or MB, and you still have a $30k car note. That's 5 hungee/month for a depreciating asset for which you have already stroked a $30k check. Insurance is also WAY more on the BMW or MB versus the Honda.

Again, just one guy's opinion. YMMV (no pun intended).

YYZ likes this.
  19. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

BTW - regarding the OP - I actually dig the Grand T. However, I also dug the Crosstour.

20. VicAjax

VicAjax Male Supermodel

I know the difference. I drive an E39, the last of the great 5-series. A 2000 540iT, in fact. Can't say I've fallen in love with any of the models of the last 10 years, except for the Ms, of course.

Srvwannab likes this.