Bob Burt clean boost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by earthmud, Jan 27, 2012.

1. earthmud

earthmud Supporting Member

Just wondering if any of you guys have tried or used this pedal before? I've been eyeing this one for a while and am looking for a end of the chain lead boost. Any opinions are welcome.

2. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

+1 on this question. It got a favorable review in the Tone Quest Report. If it's like his cabs, it'll be the highest quality.

3. earthmud

4. ES330

ES330 Supporting Member

Yes, I used to own one... very rare.

The end of a chain lead boost, for using with other ODs...
    GtrWrks 1963
    GtrWrks bV(flat five)

5. earthmud

They Bob Burt boosts are now in production again. Did you like it as a end of the chain boost? I've looked at the b5 and 1963 and have always wondered about them. I'm using a Barber ltd for my main od duties and wonder if the b5 would have to much gain to stack well as a boost.

6. ES330

ES330 Supporting Member

I thought it should've had more low-end...
    and it doesn't have the articulation of the 1963...

I'll check on the bV and get back to you how it fits at the end of the chain...
    But when I first heard about the bV, that's the way the poster was using it...

WHen I got the bV, I got it to use as a boost, but liked it so much
    that I keep it on all the time when using OD.
    SO... had to get a boost to use with that.

Got the 1963 as a boost, but liked it so much, that I keep it on all the time as well
    and use the guitars volume knob...
    though it works great as a clean boost with other ODs
    the 1963 adds an articulation that just works with other ODs,
    though I wouldn't use it straight into an amp... kinda like salt, makes something else better
    but by itself it doesn't work for my setup...

I also liked the Lizard Leg Dragon Boost
    Though I've never A/B'd it against the 1963...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  7. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

Isn't the Bob Burt boost a copy if the Landgraff Boost, which in turn is a copy of Zack's Zvex SHO? Get the original. His Super Duper is even cooler because it has 2 channels that can be cascaded.

8. Adji

Adji Member

9. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Supporting Member

Not sure about Bob Burt, but I am a lover of boosts, whether clean, treble, Jfet, whatever. Most recently, the Caroline Icarus has become and always on pedal I'd intended as a volume boost. What category do the Bob Burt, b5, and '63 each fall into?

10. earthmud

I have the icarus and prefer it as an always on as well. I just picked us a clinchfx ep- pre and prefer it to the icarus as an always on. I need a dedicated end of the chain boost thats clean or at mostly clean.

11. schultzvil

schultzvil In the Clean Channel Silver Supporting Member

The Bob Burt Clean Boost is fantastic as an "always on" pedal. Great at the end of the chain, too. I use it after germanium fuzz (dialed back on the volume) and always on. Much prefer it to ZVEZ SHO, it just sounds more balanced, not as bright maybe, really fat.
    Best single knob boost I've used, maybe now tied with Resonant Electronics
    Graviton- that one's got maybe more "color" to it, gets dirtier. The Burt is really really good clean boost.
    Could do with a smaller enclosure, though...

12. earthmud

Very cool. Thanks for the info. Fat, balanced, and not overly bright are exactly what I'm looking for.

13. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

What was noted before about the Landgraff and the SHO is what I also think. As for the differences you are describing, it can easily be just a different capacitor / input impedance change...

14. el chuco

el chuco Member

I got my Bob Burt Clean Boost through Blues Angels Music in Sept. 2009 and it is always on my pedal board. It is very transparent an it just gives me more of my tone. It really does gives me more of my tone in a very balanced way. In other words, it doesn't boost certain frequencies more than others. It is just awesome and it is now the only boost pedal I use. And he signed mine too which is really cool :aok

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  15. earthmud

Sorry for the misinformation. I thought I read that somewhere. Glad to hear they are still in production.

Thanks for the info. Sounds great.

16. earthmud

Thanks for the info it is much appreciated. Have you tried the Bob Burt boost? Thats the pedal I'm looking for opinions on since I have my dirt covered. Thanks again and may have to try the BB od at some point as well.