Bob Logan guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jzucker, May 7, 2015.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Anyone have any comments? How does he compare to nash, mjt, k-line and others?

2. jzucker

3. raja

raja Member

I missed out on buying a used Logan Tele at an excellent price from a great source and kick meself for not jumping at that deal.
    I waited just enough time for somebody else to buy it.
    Though I've never played a Logan Tele they have excellent reviews and testimonials.
    Mr. Z YOU are a great guitarist btw

4. naveed211

naveed211 Member

I had one for a bit, got to try a few at his place before buying.

I've only played a Nash out of those you mentioned. I would say it compares favorably to Nash and Fender. The Nash had a bigger neck and sounded a bit thicker (could've been Lollars vs. Duncan Broadcasters), the Logan just sounded like a good Fender. I will say, the Nash was setup better than a few of the Logans I tried, but the one I bought was very nice.

Bob Logan's a nice guy and I'd recommend his stuff overall. In my experience, Nash and Fender aren't better, just different. I ended up selling my Logan for a different guitar, but for someone who wants a traditional type Tele, they're a good choice.

Edit: Two things to consider: He doesn't take PayPal for more than just the down payment, and I ate it big time when reselling. That may or may not matter to you.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  5. FredZepp

FredZepp Member

I've got a Logan Custom blackguard tele with twang-king pickups and it is excellent. I did a set up to lower the action and lowered the pickups a bit. It's very versatile and no problems with pick up squeal. Swamp Ash body ( with no filler ) and flamed maple neck w maple board make it classic and right up there with any premium grade tele.

I know he used to make different grades and features .. so there may be some you'd like better than others. I believe that some had poly finished bodies .. but here he does a great thin nitro with no filler that feels and sounds quite nice.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

The neck! The neck! The neeeeeeck!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. airportbar

airportbar Member

I had one about 5 or so years ago. It was very affordable and worth it for a custom guitar.

That said, I don't know what he charges these days, but if it's anywhere near a grand I'd probably save a wee bit more and get a Nash.

8. naveed211

naveed211 Member

I got mine for $800. Some go as low as $700, some around $1000.

You can pretty much get it customized to whatever you want over $1000.

They pretty much play like you'd expect an off the rack Fender to play, just might need a pro setup if you're buying sight unseen.

I'd also opt for ones with nicer pickups, I liked them with Fralins and Duncans. The one I tried with Wilkinsons was less inspiring.

9. jzucker

thanks everyone for so much great info! Looks like the best thing to do is find a used one since the no-name builder guitars don't keep their value.

10. blind radish

blind radish Supporting Member

He made this for me, and I regret ever selling it.

[​IMG]

11. corunpiana

corunpiana Member

I waited just enough time for somebody else to buy it. [​IMG]

12. Link Ramone

Link Ramone Member

I've had two Logan guitars and one bass. They are excellent instruments. I agree with naveed211 that they compare favorably to Fender and Nash. Can't speak to K-Line or MJT since I haven't tried those brands. Bummer you missed it, but you can actually get great deals right from Bob since he usually has some stock to clear out and will "consider reasonable offers" on. Check them out on this page: http://www.logancustomguitars.com/guitars-custom-crafted-electric.html

13. 73Fender

73Fender Member

Ha, I remember that one from Craigs List..lucky for you it was 700 miles away from me. Beautiful neck, classic tele type. 73Fender AKA Hfan.

Not sure about now but not too long ago his prices were very low. Never heard a bad thing about his stuff.

14. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

Bumping this thread for any new updates, thinking about having a tele built would this be a good place to look or are there better options out there? I'm hoping to stay around $1000 to $1500, but want quality, if I need to buy used I can,
    Kurt

pete12string likes this.