Bob Weir: Isolated Soundboard 8-19-89

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by johnnyb128, Jan 21, 2018.

1. johnnyb128

johnnyb128 Member

You don’t have to be a Deadhead to appreciate this. I’ve always struggled to hear Bob’s playing in the mix but isolated it’s a testament to just how great he is.

EDIT: Here's the context, the full soundboard of that concert:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  2. wahfreak

wahfreak Member

I agree with the first sentence. I think you have to be a deadhead to appreciate this.

I have no context which to evaluate.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  3. Joe Robinson

Joe Robinson Gold Supporting Member

Hmmmm...just like in the old days, I got a little pissed off waiting for **** to start. I've never heard Bob in the mix before.

4. johnnyb128

johnnyb128 Member

I added a link to the full soundboard of that concert for context. I've always found these isolated tracks that pop up for any artist fascinating even if i wasn't a fan but that's probably just me.

NicDo likes this.
  5. trses335

trses335 Member

Thanks for this. A great lesson on how to add color, vibe and groove to a group of very busy musicians. Bob’s chord voicing are a lot tighter and muted than I expected.

swa and AndyPecker like this.
  6. AndyPecker

AndyPecker Member

Where does something like this come from? Thanks for sharing, I'll listen tonight.

7. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

Thanks for posting this. I've learned a ton of rhythm things from Bobby. He sounds more overdriven then usual. Is this a feed right off his guitar without effects?

8. jazzgtrl4

jazzgtrl4 Supporting Member

Very cool, thanks..89' he was playing that Modulus Blacknife right?

9. cram

cram Member

For the last half hour I've been trying to use ONLY bob's iso track in OP to sing a long. The only time I could was during Tennessee Jed and Jack Straw (because I used to cover it)

No bleed - they had to be in iso boxes for the board. Not a setup nerd with respect to how they ran the shows , but thanks for sharing.

HA! !! Check this out -
    For jackstraw - the first lyrics "we can share the women we can share the *wine*" He pooches the chord and you can see it on his face.
    And if you're looking for the isolated clam: it's between 5:30 and 5:40. He just forgot to change to the VI.

Diff between bob and mortals like me is I do that face with more frequency. :)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    T92780 likes this.
  10. johnnyb128

johnnyb128 Member

Hey...thank YOU for posting this, how cool is that? So now we've got the soundboard and video of the entire show to go along with the isolated Weir tracks. Now nobody can complain about context hahaha!

I was going to say I thought so, the pink one but then the video posted above confirms it.

According to the archive page, "-- This is an isolated stereo feed from Bob Weir's guitar patched off the board -- The crew recorded the isolated feed to check for distortion"

See above! I think it's a one-off type deal, i've never seen any others like an isolated Jerry (but that probably exists somewhere on Archive.org)

cram likes this.
  11. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

There’s a monitor mix out there (not the same thing, I know) for the show where there was a death threat on Jerry. It’s interesting to hear the banter. Some dark humor. This was from that final tour, the “tour from Hell.” And you can really tell from the banter that the thing was over even if Jerry didn’t die.

johnnyb128 likes this.
  12. johnnyb128

johnnyb128 Member

ssmug likes this.
  13. direwolf

direwolf Supporting Member

Thanks. OP, I've been messing around with Good Times Roll lately.

14. swa

swa Member

That is so interesting, thank you OP for finding and sharing this.

It is very different from what I would have expected.

T92780 likes this.
  15. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Member

There are some 73 soundboards where Bob is mixed so high hearing him is just as easy as the isos. Those are a great listen.

55hz likes this.
  16. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Member

Here is one, if youre on headphones, the right channel is like having Bobby mixed high on your in ear monitors. Great because you still hear some drums and band for context

johnnyb128 likes this.
  17. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Member

Heres an 84 rehearsal with just Bobby, Phil and drums

johnnyb128 likes this.
  18. johnnyb128

johnnyb128 Member

This is one of them where he’s mixed pretty high in the original full soundboard that’s for sure. If you have any of these others you’re mentioning point them out if you can.

I’ve heard a few of these, here’s one if anyone’s interested

19. redeyedjim

redeyedjim Silver Supporting Member

Heh - I was at the '89 Greek shows. 08-19-89 has the most satisfyingly conclusive Other One of the modern era. Not a tight version, but as i said, they work it to a very satisfying conclusion - tension and release, baby! I saw them several hundred times, and this was the only show I attended where the crowd started chanting "One more set!" after the end of Set II.

8-17-89 has the infamous misquote from Jerry, "Wake up to find out that you are the size of the world."

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    johnnyb128 and slider like this.
  20. Blooby

Blooby Member

I play occasionally with a guy who has an uncanny knack for aping Bobby-style rhythm playing. Fun as hell to play with him. Bobby doesn't get the credit he deserves, but he had some pretty unique ways about him.