Bob Welch, Randy California

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Atmospheric, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

Duh, yeah, what a concept, eh?

Go here: http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/fleetwood-mac/concerts/record-plant-december-15-1974.html

There's another FM broadcast from the Record Plant Los Angeles that is not nearly as good, but I have both and like them both. The Sausalito FM broadcast is the holy grail.

NOTE: I got the date wrong in my original post and have corrected that.

2. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

How about "Mechanical World"? That is such a mind blower of a record, and tone - like liquid fire. Lipstick tube Dano and Jordan Bosstone. Still one of the coolest sounds I've ever heard a guitar make.

/rick

3. daddyo

daddyo Guest

4. jj113054

jj113054 Member

This is it

5. jefesq

jefesq Gold Supporting Member

6. talpa

talpa Member

had both Paris LPs...actually saw them in Lubbock, Tx (yeah go figure) about '76, while in college at Tech...i got into the 1st LP bigtime, with Black Book, Religion (the 2 best cuts imho)...some really trippy studio production...showed BW studio chops for sure...rest of the LP was uneven.. the 2nd lp sucked...sorry.

check this out...of course Zep/Hendrix evident..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-HsTreXlog&feature=related

7. markbosko

markbosko Member

I saw Spirit at the Anaheim convention center. They were the opening act for some group called Cream, pretty good concert as I recall.

8. amc

amc Member

when bob welch ventured out as a solo act after fleetwood mac, the lead guitar spot in his band was filled by the 22 y/o todd sharp, after todd left hall & oates.
    listen to todd sharp solo as bob welch dances like a white guy in front of 300,000 people at 10:30am.................
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-ZphPSSXR8

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  9. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I've always loved the French Kiss album by Bob Welch, in fact, I had it on for company this past weekend.

I would love to hear those songs without all the string orchestration sometime...

10. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Silver Supporting Member

I am a fan of both of these guys as well. I still have a copy of Captain Copter and the fabulous twirlybirds somewhere with Randy California.

Always dug Bob Welsh's stuff as well. French Kiss was a great album.

"We both cant be wrong, I must be right"

11. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Silver Supporting Member

Add:

I am just listening to Paris (With BW) for the first time.. man where was I for that!!!
    Sounds amazing. Cool stuff, wish I could get a copy of it...

12. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

cool tidbit: Randy subbed for Blackmore on some Deep Purple tour dates when Blackmore had taken ill.

learn something new every day!

13. Atmospheric

What timeframe would this be? I am a huge van for DP version 1. The metal years lineups, not so much.

14. cminor7b5

cminor7b5 Member

^+1

15. djem

djem Member

Didn't know about the Neil Young incident so I did a quick search.

First site I hit had the explanation plus links to each song from the Santa Monica 1976 concert.

I just had to listen to Nature's Way.

Here's the link. Read, listen & enjoy !!!!!

http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=537

16. Atmospheric

There was only one show at Santa Monica Civic during that time period, not "a few shows at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium."

I was at this final show. As previously recounted, Neil horned in on Firewall's encores and basically made an ass of himself. I therefore find it hard to believe that Randy didn't know that Neil was in the house and mistook him for "just a drunk."

I left after Ed's impassioned speech. Imagine my surprise to find out years later that the band came back out and played Dark Eyed Woman.

17. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I was a major fan of Spirit and saw them multiple times..

They played the Santa Monica Civic in 1970.. I also saw them play an outdoor show at Santa Monica College in that same era. I also remember most of Spirit playing on a rooftop in Topanga in 1970-71. Those were the days.

I think that their body of work is pretty incredible... I first heard Fresh Garbage on KPPC back in the 1969... I think it still sounds incredible for its vibe and hook http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2lE_DAGxM4

I own their original catalog on vinyl, but the grooves are worn out. I think every one of their albums has some classic songs, and despite what some other poster said about Twelve Dreams of Dr Sardonicus, I think it is a great album, and it remains one of my favorite rock albums of all time...

I have a couple of other Spirit/Kaptain Kopter albums too. The Further Along album from 1976 had a song on it called Mega Star, which seemed to be a diss of Jay Ferguson at that moment in time.. although that is just my guess.

There was a lot of talent in the band. Jay Ferguson went on to be a pop star with his hit Thunder Island, and has been doing sound track work for years. Mark Andes has a nice body of work with Firefall and has been a part of Heart for many years.

I last saw Randy at the same Santa Monica Civic playing on the Night of The Guitar tour, which was organized by Miles Copeland in 1989...

Randy was a very interesting stylist and player. Not always flashy, but a true original. Spirit was a great band...too bad that they fragmented and fell apart.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  18. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I've heard this rumor as well, and Al Kooper mentions it in his book. But as far as I can tell it was at most one date, and there is some confusion as to whether or not Randy actually played that night at all. According to Kooper, Randy refused to play the show at the last minute and the rest of the tour was cancelled.

/rick

19. pak1001

pak1001 Member

20. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

I may be the only one who hears it, but to me there is a Bob Welch influence in the vocal treatment on Foo Fighters records. What kind of effect is used to get that sound? Is it just double tracking or is it some effect applied to a single take?