Bobby Hebb - Sunny

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by I-IV-V, Feb 15, 2012.

1. I-IV-V

I-IV-V Member

I never knew what events took place right before he wrote this song. Some poeple say these events inspired the song. This is from Wiki -

"Sunny" is the name of a song written by Bobby Hebb. It is one of the most covered popular songs, with hundreds of versions released. BMI rates "Sunny" number 25 in its "Top 100 songs of the century."

Hebb wrote the song after November 22, 1963, the day U.S. President John F. Kennedy was assassinated and Hebb's older brother Harold was murdered after a stabbing outside a Nashville nightclub. Hebb was devastated by both events and many critics say that those events inspired the tune. According to Hebb, he wrote the song as an expression of a preference for a "sunny" disposition over a "lousy" disposition.[1] Events influenced Hebb's songwriting, but his melody, crossing over into R&B (#3 on U.S. R&B chart) Country and Pop (#2 on U.S. Pop chart), together with the optimistic lyrics, came from the artist's desire to express that one should always "look at the bright side" - a direct quote from the author. Hebb has said about "Sunny":

"All my intentions were just to think of happier times – basically looking for a brighter day – because times were at a low tide. After I wrote it, I thought "Sunny" just might be a different approach to what Johnny Bragg was talking about in 'Just Walkin' in the Rain.'"

2. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

I don't know what the story is, but I know the song takes me to a better place and has since I was a young child. If you listen to the song and think of the lyrics in the context of the music, it's as if he is fighting against despair, and with each verse and modulation he is purging deeper emotions.

Another version of the song and one that I really gravitated to was Jose Feliciano's version. It is so beautiful to me.