Bobby Zimmerman pulled it off ...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by vintage saddles, Feb 3, 2015.

1. vintage saddles

vintage saddles Supporting Member

He made an album of songs, all written before he became the Voice of a Generation, with a quality of voice we haven't heard probably since Nashville Skyline.

Every one of these songs was recorded by Sinatra. So there's the bar. Bobby didn't aim for the bar, he sidestepped it completely. He took his band into the studio and knocked out an album of standards. Another detour by the ever confounding Bob Dylan.

2. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Just curious, but.......did he take songwriting credit for them, as he did on the "standards" on "Modern Times"? I love Dylan, but c'mon......

3. DrSax

DrSax Member

his band is so bloody good. been that way for a long long time

4. vintage saddles

All songs are credited. I can't speak for Modern Times. The Almighty Google suggests many of the songs that formed MT are in the public domain.

5. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

This album has me on the fence. I have not enjoyed much since Love and Theft. I am a big Sinatra fan. I want to hear it, but is don't want to hear it. Does that make sense?

6. Neer

Neer Member

There was a piece on NPR this morning. Dylan granted only one interview, and it was to AARP's magazine.

The clips I heard sounded good. I liked the pedal steel.

7. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

They were in the public domain. I will check my CD tonight but I'm pretty sure that Bobby took songwriting credit for all of them.

8. vintage saddles

"All songs written by Bob Dylan" ... you are correct.

9. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Off-topic posts are off-topic.

10. vintage saddles

11. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I read the interview on my friend's iPad. One of Dylan's best interviews, at least that I've seen. Who knows how it was edited for publication but Dylan is lucid and straightforward. It's a worthwhile read.

12. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I have to say, I think the song posted in the OP is just bad. I'm surprised that anyone would want to hear Dylan "interpret" the standards of yesteryear. Maybe if he did an album of dustbowl-era covers or something that suited his unique talents a bit more.

13. GerryJ

GerryJ Member

Is it "confounding" enough that you're buying it ? ;)
    Especially his version of "Full Moon & Empty Arms."...

14. eddie famine

eddie famine Member

I want to like it, but I don't know. Bob doing Frank is like a dog walking on his hind legs. It's not that he's doing it well, it's just cool he can do it at all.

15. GerryJ

GerryJ Member

The long (unedited) interview was good.... he can still hit you with some zingers that ring true-

'An actor is pretending to be somebody, but a singer isn’t. He’s not hiding behind anything. And that’s the difference.'

'(Frank Sinatra) had this ability to get inside of the song in a sort of a conversational way. Frank sang to you, not at you, like so many pop singers today. Even singers of standards. I never wanted to be a singer that sings at somebody. I’ve always wanted to sing to somebody. I would have gotten that subliminally from Frank many years ago. Hank Williams did that, too. He sang to you.'

16. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Didn't Joni Mitchell come out at the time and call him a plagiarist for this?

17. dharmafool

dharmafool Member

In the long version of the interview Dylan explains that the recording is live, with no vocal booth or even headphones employed. Just straight performances of each tune. Rehearsals were done in advance, during soundchecks at gigs. Recorded at Capitol Records with vintage mics. Album was completed in approximately 30 hours.

18. DrSax

DrSax Member

Picked it up today, sounds great. Not my favorite tunes in the world. Bob sounds good, though he's playing it real straight, I'm missing his quirky phrasing. Still, I just love hearing his band.

19. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Just listened to it. The music is beautiful and Bob's voice sounds remarkably improved from the last few releases.

20. pete kanaras

pete kanaras Member

having the greatest living "live to tape" engineer of them all, Al Schmidt, behind the console sure didn't hurt either. can't wait to hear this