• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Body/neck gap question for you pros

305thODST

So I stripped down my guitar to do a lot of work on it. In the process, I decided to purchase a new neck. From what I've read online, the paper thin gaps between the sides aren't a big deal. However, my gap is between the neck and body close to the pickups (see attachment for picture). The gap isn't huge, but it's much, much bigger than paper-thin.

Is this a problem? If so, what can I do about it? I'm looking to you guys with experience for this.

fumbler

It's not ideal but it probably won't make a difference in the way it sounds/plays. You should certainly do the "Fender neck adjustment" (as in this thread) when you assemble it. Even necks that LOOK like they fit perfectly in the pocket can't REALLY be making perfect contact everywhere.

That gap doesn't look big enough to cause any scale length problems; hopefully you'll have enough travel in the saddles to correct for that.

If the way it LOOKS bothers you then: Have you already drilled the holes for the neck screws (or did the neck come pre-drilled?) If not, then the heel could be re-shaped to fit better.

I think this may be the REAL reason to get a neck with a 22nd fret overhang. :)

305thODST

It's not ideal but it probably won't make a difference in the way it sounds/plays. You should certainly do the "Fender neck adjustment" (as in this thread) when you assemble it. Even necks that LOOK like they fit perfectly in the pocket can't REALLY be making perfect contact everywhere.
Good to know. And I'll be sure to do that.

That gap doesn't look big enough to cause any scale length problems; hopefully you'll have enough travel in the saddles to correct for that.
My experience is not extensive enough to know.

If the way it LOOKS bothers you then: Have you already drilled the holes for the neck screws (or did the neck come pre-drilled?) If not, then the heel could be re-shaped to fit better.
I'm not concerned with looks. If it causes little to no sound/playing problems, I'm fine.

I think this may be the REAL reason to get a neck with a 22nd fret overhang. :)
I was actually thinking the exact same thing earlier.

Thank you and thank you.

K-Line

Vendor
No problem at all. You could sand the corners of the neck if you have to finish it anyways, but no issues at all.

Trending Topics