Bogner 2x12 cab question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jellobello45, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Jellobello45

Jellobello45 Guest

Hey guys,
    I am about to invest in a Bogner 2x12 cab. I'm into the open backs, and I can't decide if I want to get the Oversize 2x12 open back or the smaller shiva 2x12 open back cab. I would be playing this through an OD-100 head and I would be mainly be playing Fusion, Blues, Bebop, Jazz, Classic Rock,(Scott Henderson-tribal tech, Robben Ford, Trey Anastasio, Jimmy Herring, New John Scofield).
    Until my OD-100 arrives I will be using this cab as an extension to my Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue.
    I can't decide which cab to get, because I am not playing really at very high volumes for most of the gigs that I do(small to medium-large clubs usually)but I do want a very full sound, but acheivable at low volumes.
    Please, everybody who has heard both cabs or either one individually, PLEASE give me your opinion on this. And please tell me which cab you would reccomend for me.
    Mp3's are more than welcome!!!
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. Ken

Ken Member

I have the big 2x12 in an open back...

I really like it...except it is heavy...Glad it has casters, but loading it into the car is a a bit of a task for an old man...

I have thought about going to the Shiva sized cab myself...I don't think it would be that much of a problem for your gigs and volume levels...

Last I knew, Leon uses the Shiva cab for some of his amps and gigs and I think he's pretty happy with it...

But make sure your speaker will handle the power of the OD100...I blew one of my H30's because I was cranking the 80 watt Shiva head a few times just too much :(

3. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

There are so many cabs out there, but if the Bogner is the one you want, you may find the oversized cab just a bit boomy. If you are cranking a high gain amp thru the oversized it would probably sound fantastic, but I think with the amp and style of music you are playing the smaller cab will probably sound much better and more clear.

Any typical Bluesbreaker sized cab would probably get the job done perfectly. What speakers are you going to play that thing through?

Consider the option of buying a cab unloaded and getting your speakers from Dave at Avatar (www.avatarspeakers.com)...or even better, check out one of the loaded cabs that he sells (great quality and an awesome price).

Nothing worse than a huge cab to muddy up your sound.

-Rich

4. Jellobello45

Jellobello45 Guest

Thanks guys for the fast replys!
    I'm thinking the Shiva cab is the way to go, I would really love to hear some mp3 clips!!!
    Also, what kind of speakers do you reccomend for what I'm doing?

5. RGN

RGN Member

I am using a oversized, closed back Bogner 2x12 with a Diezel VH-4 head and think it is the rig to end all rigs :dude I also have used a VHT 100CL head with the cab... it was great also.

The 2X12 fits easily into my trunk (laying on its back) and sounds as good or better than many 4X12s I have owned (Marshall, Genz-Benz and Mesa). I think for your head I'd go with the oversized model. It can be open or closed back and would work well with that head. The Shiva 2X12 is too small for my tastes and would look goofy with a big 100 watt monster sitting on it :)

6. Jellobello45

Jellobello45 Guest

Oi Vay, I hate this...Now I don't know which one to get! THis is so confusing...

7. Jellobello45

Jellobello45 Guest

Anybody here that can solve this problem?!?

8. Ken

Ken Member

Well...The Lead guitarist for the house band on the TV Show Rockstar:INXS uses the bigger 2x12 Bogner Cab in the studio at rehersal, plus his Shiva amps :) I notice things like this while watching :p

So maybe that will help you...If in doubt, go with the bigger cab...And if you determine down the road that its not for you, then sell it...You should not have a problem as they are very popular cabs.

9. Jellobello45

Jellobello45 Guest

Well, your defintly right, but the last thing that I would ever want is a woofy sound at low volumes. I need clear and pronounced. I mean, think about it like this, 30 to 40 watts is more than enough than what I use. I just don't want it to sound akward...
    Any advice?

10. RGN

RGN Member

How would this monster look on a Shiva sized 2X12?? :D
    [​IMG]

:dude

Or this one...
    [​IMG]

I'd use dual 1X12 Bogner cabs before I'd use the small-ish Shiva cab. Trust me.. go with the oversized model. The other cab I'd suggest would be the Splawn 2X12 which is basically a clone of the oversized Bogner... it is fantastic also..

11. Ken

Ken Member

I don't have any Woof coming out of my Cab :confused:
    I play at low volumes all the time.

12. RGN

RGN Member

By the way, I am running Vintage 30s in my 2X12. I may be going to one Vintage 20 and one 12/75 to see how I like it.

13. Jellobello45

Jellobello45 Guest

Well, I meant more boomy than woofy, atleast that's what the guy up top said. And boomy is pretty bad.

Are those pictures of the deisel heads on top of the oversized 2x12 bogner cab?

The more we talk about this cab, the more it helps...I loved to be bombarded with information about products before I buy something:D

14. RGN

RGN Member

Yes, that is the oversized model....

15. Jellobello45

Jellobello45 Guest

Man, some mp3's would be really awsome to hear!
    Words can only say so much, but music can say 1,000 words in one note, you know.

16. Jellobello45

Jellobello45 Guest

Okay, well tell me this...
    Will the oversized cab sound GREAT at very low, low, and medium volumes? Will the same quality be there?

17. devbro

devbro Member

I just picked up an oversize 2x12 and tried it with my Shiva last weekend in two distinctly different live situations and the cab blew me away. It worked very well at low volume and loud. It sounded better than some 4x12 cabs I've played through. Highly recommended!

Scored it for $550.00 locally in pristeen condition and ordered a Tuki cover for it this morning (I think it's going to be around a while) :D

Wish the casters were a little more heavy duty:(

18. Ricker

Ricker Member

I love my 2x12 OS
    I've tried many different speakers in there and finally settled on 2 v30s.........2x v30s in a closed back are not the best choice for low volumes........but I mostly use the cab for gigging........it is just about the only cab I use cause it sounds so good.
    It's good at low volumes but I'm sure there are better options.
    But for medium to gigging vols.........I don't think you can beat this 2x12

Cheers
    Rick

19. RGN

RGN Member

My OS 2X12 sounds great at low levels. I usually record with my Diezel barely breathing... I think it is the best 2X12 on the market period. I haven't really heard the Shiva cab called the "industry standard" or anything but EVERYONE that tried the OS 2X12 digs it.

20. Joe57

Joe57 Member

The OS Bogner 2x12 I had was a great sounding cab, even at lower volume levels.
    Wish I still had it....