Bogner 4x12 versus Mesa 4X12 (Vintage 30's)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by robbph37, Jan 23, 2008.

1. robbph37

robbph37 Member

I went in to my local shop to show the owner my Egnater M4. He is a big Orange and Bogner amp guy. He loved the M4. He liked the Vox Mod the best. In his shop he has 2 4X12 cabs. A Bogner and a Mesa, both have the Vintage 30 speakers in them. I am considering getting a 4X12 cabinet to use for live shows. Currently I have an Avatar 2X12 cabinet that I am using but at practice I believe a 4X12 would be much better. We did a side by side comparison and I was shocked. The Bogner had a much warmer sound. It also had a cleaner tone that cut through much better than the Mesa. The only thing the Mesa had going for it was more bottom end but it seemed to sacrifice clarity. I did not want to like the Bogner because it is $1200 out the door. The Mesa was $750. I almost got the Bogner anyway. I have read that there isnt a huge difference by many on this page. Some have even stated that you are paying for the Bogner name. All I can say is that with my Egnater M4 into both cabinets it was not even close. Now I don know how it would compare with the nicer Avatar 4X12 but the Boogie did not hold up. What 4X12 cabs do you use? Oh keep in mind I am a Vin. 30 guy.

2. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

i own a bogner,owned 2 actually w/ greenbacks and vin30's.....i like my bogner overall but my mesa regular size recto cab sounded good too...i also had a mesa oversize cab and didnt like that at all..
    dont worry about your low end cos u have a bass player in the band,thats not your job to have low end....
    so answer is if u wana save money the mesa is fine u have a good cab if u wana spend the xtra and have a bogner then welcome to the club cos thats all i use...i think they sound better when i'm cranked up loud
    by the way PRS999 on here is selling a bogner w/ vin30's used,he lives in cleveland ohio check the adds

3. robbph37

robbph37 Member

Thanks. I will. I am in Kentucky so we may be able to work something out.

4. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

If you have a GC near you and they have one, check out the Egnater Tourmaster 4x12 with V30's. I played it side by side against the Mesa and frankly, it blew it away. I'm not sure how it would compare to the Bogner, but at $699, it's worth checking out.

5. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I've had the Bogner, and NOTHING touched it for the tones I got out of it. Warmer, just more musical. I have a Mesa upright 2x12 that I really like that doesn't seem to suffer from the Mesa 4x12 'sterile' thing (my opinion). I agree the Bogner price is pretty steep.

I got rid of it because I was moving it WAY too much, and those suckers are HEAVY.

I am curious about the Egnater stuff, since I'm very iffy on V30's sometimes depending on the cab, but based on the videos they do a great job with them.

EP

6. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

I really liked the egnater cab alot. I ended up buying a used Diezel rear loaded 2x12 which sounds absolutely HUGE and was a steal at $465. I may go back and get the Egnater. It killed with my Bad Cat Tone Cat head..:drool