Bogner Alchemist Pricing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stratasaurus, Jul 29, 2008.

1. stratasaurus

stratasaurus Member

The Bogner Alchemist are starting to show up on European online stores. This is the first North American store i have come across though

Head $ 900
    1x12 combo $ 1000
    2x12 combo $ 1100
    2x12 cab $ 500

http://www.accentmusic.com/search.php?search=bogner

Can't wait to get my order in. went from driving a truck to a car a need to downsize my rig. This is looking like a great solution for me. If the reverb and delay are decent it may even knock a couple pedals off my board too

2. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

Interested to hear some real world reviews on the Alchemist!

3. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Senior Member

Same thing with the Vox amp prices, too much $ for a Chinese amp, I don't care that it says 'Bogner' on it.

4. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

It's not Bogner.
    It's box with Bogner badge.
    Money rules this world.
    Don't be fooled.
    There are many much cheaper amps (do a search, don't ask), made in China, with same or better quality than Alchemist range.
    Don't buy this ****.

5. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Supporting Member

Wow. All of this without ever hearing one...or have you?

6. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I'm Interested in checking out the Alchemist....... regardless of where it's built! looks like it might be a cool sounding amp for tones I go after!

7. digital jams

digital jams Member

It is a Bogner unless you guys have heard from the man himself saying otherwise :AOK

Bogners for $1000, awesome!

8. stratasaurus

stratasaurus Member

So your take is that Bogner would put out **** no better than a Peavey ValveKing and charge twice as much for it. Hmmm. Have you heard it in person?

Bogner made a point of stating that this IS a Bogner amp. He went out of his way to state the the Line 6 Spider Valve is not Bogner - that is a Line 6 product with some input from Bogner. Clearly he wants to differentiate the two products. I don't think he would risk his reputation on the Alchemist if he didn't feel he could stand behind the product.

It really comes down to quality control - doesn't matter where it is made. Any company can make top quality components in China, India, Indonesia, Mexico, wherever if they are committed to it and there is a system in place to monitor and ensure quality control. Do those countries produce a lot of **** - yes they do that too but so does the US. The US does not have the market cornered in terms of quality manufacturing - just look at the auto industry or Gibson for that matter. I have been looking at Les Pauls for months now and every standard I have played has had some fit or finish issue. Then I pick up any Made in Korea PRS SE and those things are perfectly set up intonate well, frets finished, level and seated, no overspray, etc. Clearly the care and labor that went into those exceeds a standard US made Les Paul and at a fraction of the cost.

Lets face it - many non-union factory jobs in the US are minimum wage or low paying jobs. Are those workers any more qualified or committed to building you your perfect amp than a worker in China making a living wage (by their standard) that can support his entire family? It is all dependent on design, quality control and the commitment of a company to produce a decent product at a reasonable price. Does Bogner have enough oversight and the right quality control in place in the China factory - I don't know. The product will speak for itself, but I won't assume anything until I can get my hands on one and try for myself. I don't expect it will kill a Shiva or Ecstasy - but it may come close enough for me at a price point that I can live with. Frankly, $3000 and $4000 amps are just not in the cards for me at this point of my life.

9. Lution

Lution Member

I'm getting excited about this amp! I will be certainly trying one out.

10. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

As will I - the Alchemist could be a great practice / backup addition to my Shiva.

Stormin!

11. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

All of this speculation is silly. When it comes out, you'll be able to tell if you like how it sounds.

12. Orren

Orren Member

Absolutely. This cannot be stressed enough. There is no geographical location or ethnicity/nationality that has some sort of regional or genetic lock on quality control. It has everything to do with how the factory is run and the quality control system in place. The bottom line is that if Bogner and his team are doing QA, this amp will be a quality product regardless of where it's made.

And frankly, I have some factory-made-in-the-USA audio products that are pretty damn flimsy because the QA just isn't there.

Not only are you correct, but lets look at "job creation" on a global, rather than regional level. When manufacturing jobs leave the USA, that creates a hardship for American workers, potentially throwing them into poverty (if they weren't there already). This is a tragedy for US workers, and one that our communities and our government needs to help alleviate with subsidized retraining, aid to those between employments, etc.

But lets look globally now: China has more poor people than any other nation in the world, with the majority of it's 1.3 billion people living hand to mouth via subsistence farming. China's manufacturing industry has moved 300,000,000 people out of poverty. In other words, China has lifted more than the entire population of the United States out of poverty (by local standards, meaning they can support their family with a living wage).

When that light is shined on it, in fact moving manufacturing to China has had amazingly positive results for the human race as a whole, far more than the region pain caused elsewhere. There are still major issues to be tackled¬óChina is polluting everyone's environment at an alarming rate that must be curbed, their one-party system is repressive to dissenters, some of their trade laws are decidedly tilted in favor of their own nationals, etc.

But overall, the move of manufacturing to China needs to be looked at globally as phenomenon that will not change for the forseeable future, and is not a total negative, either in quality of goods or human terms.

Orren

13. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

You declare that the amps are not Bogner and cheaper ones of better quality can be found, yet you can't back it up with examples?? Can't even have the decency to say Reeves Templar Dragon for example (and I haven't heard either to say one way or the other)? I'd say the title of my response pretty much sums you up.

----------------------------------

On a different note, the prices on the alchemists have gone up $200 from the original post. Talk about inflation.

14. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

this is the bogner that is made at the chinese amp factory that makes the line 6 amps, right? not sure if that is a vote of confidence regardless of how they sound.

15. stratasaurus

stratasaurus Member

:worried :confused: :jo OMG, they must have just changed their prices. Interesting. Maybe the jumped the gun too early in posting prices on their web store - I wonder what changed.

16. digital jams

digital jams Member

Sounds good to me as I have heard great SV clips as they are cool amps in their own right.

17. loudgtr

loudgtr Member

+1 I'm looking forward to checking them out.

18. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

really? where?

actually i was speaking more about line 6 build quality than sound quality but ya, that too.

19. jmcerlain

jmcerlain Member

Disclosure: I am a Bogner endorser and worked for them at the NY AMP show. Here is a clip of me playing the Alchemist, I had posted this a while ago, but here it is again. I think this clip give a good idea of the amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_O_1NT7jNI

I liked the amp and when speaking with Reinhold and Jorg they are very picky about the quality of the Alchemist. Reinhold's name is on it and he takes it very seriously. He is a straight up guy.

20. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member