Bogner Alchemist - What do you think? (Check out the Videos)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by NFB, Feb 21, 2009.

What do you think of the new Bogner Alchemist?

1. Very Good....You like it

2. Not Good....You do not like it

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. NFB

NFB Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  2. NFB

NFB Senior Member

I do like the cleans.............as we all know bogners have fallen short in that category.............but this amp has got good clean character......

3. SamsDaddy

SamsDaddy Member

I have owned my Alchemist since Thanksgiving and I really like it. I've had quite a few gigs with it and it has worked out great every time.

I owned a Shiva for a little while, and it had the best cleans I have ever heard. The Alchemist has nice cleans, but the Shiva had the most punchy/percussive clean that I really just loved. The Shiva in the end didn't work out for me for other reasons, but if I only cared about the clean, the Shiva would be it for me.

4. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

Nice amp, nice features, but the gain channel was lacking for me. Low end farts out in gain channel. Returned it after a week.

I found a used JVM2 combo for slightly less than an Alchemist. IMO, much more amp, has very good cleans and sounds like a Marshall.

5. NFB

NFB Senior Member

Which speakers were you playing through?

6. NFB

NFB Senior Member

5 folks voted that they did not like the amp ............any reason why?

7. GuitarMan216

GuitarMan216 Member

I bought the 1x12, and it seemed to sound alright in the store, but when I got it home, I couldn't get it to sound good. The cleans were great...but the gain department lacked big time for me.

8. illini

illini Member

I wish you had a third or fourth option, but since you don't I voted in the don't like it category.

The amp is fine, but I would pick many over it. The sound would get old to me pretty quickly.

9. NFB

NFB Senior Member

Could you explain........re: the extra categories?

I thought the cleans were very nice.........

10. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

I demo'd the head and matching cab and the combo. To me they were very uninspiring. Nothing stood out tonally, just drab and boring. But i will say they look cool. I would put them in the same class tonally as the egnater tourmaster. Just not very good.

11. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

I do like the cleans in that video...and the blues tones in the blues "dual" too...I'm assuming that amp has a Vintage 30 speaker ?

12. movingpictures

movingpictures Supporting Member

I had the same experience. The bottom was not tight enough on the lead channel, esp. with a LP. It would be a great all in one package if that fact didnt bother you...

13. ejecta

ejecta Member

Just to give another perspective. Ive owned this amp since November last year and I used to play in a band who did a lot of odd time riffs so I like write riffs in drop D inspired by Soundgarden, Kings X, etc and the bottom end and on my head throuh the 2x12 cab both channels are as tight as I'd ever need.

So I really dont know what you are talking about. Maybe that one had bias issues? Ive had many many "high end" amps including several of Bogner's "boutique line" (101b, XTC Classic, Shiva, Duende)....... this amp holds its own no problem.

This guys tone is tight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlk-_tN3dFc&feature=related

Bob Savage gets a very tight tone on this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h8wFOF-hbs

Even tuned down it stays tight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ5zr2UuTcI&feature=related

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  14. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I think the amp is great for what it is and does for the money.

I have a love/hate thing going on with the XTC so I was really curious what I would feel about the Alchemist. I played them a few times and I though it was a very good amp but not enough for me to buy. Although, a great option if i were in the market for an amp around 1k. Hard to find another amp that performs the way it does at the price.

I ended up being blessed and won an Alchemist 1x12 free in a contest. Can't turn down a freebie. I actually have it for sale in the forums. I couldn't resist though, I opened it to try it out and make sure the amp came to me ok. Great amp and I like it more now that I've had a chance to play one in the comfort of my home.

Its still a great amp. If it doesn't sell soon I won't mind hanging on to it. Always cool to have a combo around.

15. English Jim

English Jim Member

Really? I guess I didn't get the memo. Shiva sounds pretty good to me.

Didn't care for the Alchemist kind of flat, blah sounding for me.

16. movingpictures

movingpictures Supporting Member

No, i said the lows were flubby with my Les Paul. None of these players used a LP guitar. I had a head running into my Avatar 2/12 w v30s, so there was low end, just not tight. I did swap preamp tubes around since the v4 would ring whenever i played a certain note. Im also not going to get the bias checked on a brand new amp. That should be sorted out @ the factory. Not blasting the Alchemist here, just wasnt working for ME.
    In the end, my Prosonic was better.....for me.

17. NFB

NFB Senior Member

Ejecta,

The clips sound killer!

18. ejecta

ejecta Member

Play what works for you and your gear. BTW Prosonics are great sounding amps. :dude

19. ejecta

ejecta Member

20. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

I think the guy on the left plays some very nice walking bass lines while playing rtm gtr that's what I think.