• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Bogner Atma 1x12 Aluminum cab

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
Finally took delivery of an 1x12 Atma cab. I really wasn't sure what to expect, as I've never used anything other than wooden cabs in my life, (mostly 1x12 & 2x12's)....so I was a bit nervous as to what it would sound like being housed in Aluminum. It does have a Baltic Birch baffle and rear ported wooden cover finished with Comet Tolex. It's loaded with a Celestion G12H30, (8 Ohm), and since I've used other Bogner cabs, I knew what to expect in that sense.

The other concern I had was that there were no comprehensive pics of this cab anywhere on the Internet, (at least that I could find). There were no pics of the back of the cab, and I only found one pic of the top. And in that pic, I was worried that there didn't appear to be any handles, either on the side or top, nor was there any mention of what was mounted on the bottom. As it turns out, there's a typical leather handle on top and it comes with rubber mounted feet. (Whew......!)

Anyway, I was really, really pleased with how focused and big the sound is overall. Bogner has always seemed to have a way in making smaller cabs, (1x12 & 2x12), sound a lot larger than they really are, and this Atma cab is no exception. Now I admit that I've spent a relatively short amount of time playing through it today after FedEx dropped it off, so a much more comprehensive review is in order on down the road. But for now, I was curios if anyone else had this cab and what their thoughts were on how it sounds, looks and performs?

Personally, I think the really big downside of this cab is its price. She wasn't cheap at $769.....and I really thought long and hard before buying it since there are so many great values at that price point or lower. But I wanted to finish off my Atma studio rig yet downsize the cab I was using, and even though I'm pretty much gigging with the Atomic Amplifier exclusively now, I still wanted a relatively small, light and compact alternative as a back-up to the Atomic, in part because the other cab's are just too big, too heavy, or just a hassle to deal with.

Anyway.....what are other users thoughts?

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
How does she sound? Describe if you will....I f'n love Bogners

Well....it really has a great mid & upper mid presence, but it still has plenty of lows and high end definition. I actually like it better than my 1x12 Shiva cab paired with the Atma. It's hard to describe other than it sounds "full". I like the oval shaped open back, (like a D style cab), as the cab breathes nicely. The G12H30 is a really great match for the Atma IMO. Super musical sounding. Now the big question is how it will sound in a band mix and the studio. I've got a project I'm finishing up at a local studio this Tuesday so I'm hoping to lay down some tracks then, (if we finish the vocal overdubs in time). My next gig is next Saturday, but I'll also try it at practice Wednesday and see how it performs.

retroLS1

My only beef with the Atma stuff is the matte black aluminum finish they used on the amp and cab - talk about a fingerprint magnet. I was always nervous about scuffing or scraping my Atma's finish on it... would have probably preferred some form or tolex but it's a fairly minor beef. The Atma is a nice amp and the cab looks like a good match. Good to hear they put a handle on it as well - I thought the same thing as you from pictures (no handle?) How much does it weigh?

Raymond Lin

Can we see a pic of the rear?

I am using the Cube at the moment, I have this on order and probably get it to go with my Atam when it get released over here in the UK.

Nice to see these finally in the wild. Things move a bit slow some times from Bogner.... But there stuff does eventually see the light of day and they are consistent with their time of announcement to actual release.... deliberate.

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
My only beef with the Atma stuff is the matte black aluminum finish they used on the amp and cab - talk about a fingerprint magnet. I was always nervous about scuffing or scraping my Atma's finish on it... would have probably preferred some form or tolex but it's a fairly minor beef. The Atma is a nice amp and the cab looks like a good match. Good to hear they put a handle on it as well - I thought the same thing as you from pictures (no handle?) How much does it weigh?
Oh....I agree about the finish. OTOH, a slightly damp cloth easily cleans my grubby little finger prints right off:). The cab weight is at 35 lbs IIRC. It seems lighter though.

jguitarslim

I had early Atma in which the finish would scuff up with just light rub of fingers.
Recently bought another one in which noticed the finish was different, much more resistant to scuffs etc.
They must have changed it since first coming out.

Raymond Lin

I had early Atma in which the finish would scuff up with just light rub of fingers.
Recently bought another one in which noticed the finish was different, much more resistant to scuffs etc.
They must have changed it since first coming out.
They seem to keep updating their stuff without any announcement, for example my Atma has a line out which isn't even into the photo on the website the last time I checked.

Last edited:

Phillip_H

Not to derail, but I just ordered an Atma and I'm trying to decide which cab to go with it. Kinda going back and forth between the cube and the shiva 1x12 right now. The Atma is just too much $$ for me at the moment.

jguitarslim

They seem to keep updating their stuff without any announcement, for example my Atma has a line out which isn't even into the photo on the iron website the last time I checked.
Yeah…I also noticed with the second one there wasn't a significant difference in gain between crunch & lead channel no matter where I set the back knob. The difference was sign more pronounced on first. I was considering retubing but wound up returning amp.

Glad your digging the cab!

BoogieManSC

Silver Supporting Member
Well....it really has a great mid & upper mid presence, but it still has plenty of lows and high end definition. I actually like it better than my 1x12 Shiva cab paired with the Atma. It's hard to describe other than it sounds "full". I like the oval shaped open back, (like a D style cab), as the cab breathes nicely. The G12H30 is a really great match for the Atma IMO. Super musical sounding. Now the big question is how it will sound in a band mix and the studio. I've got a project I'm finishing up at a local studio this Tuesday so I'm hoping to lay down some tracks then, (if we finish the vocal overdubs in time). My next gig is next Saturday, but I'll also try it at practice Wednesday and see how it performs.
Thanks for that man....sounds like a keeper thus far...give a follow up after practice. I just picked up a Bogner Brixton low-watt amp that I'm running through a 1x12 cab that my Shiva originally came housed in (since moved to a head format)....the 1x12 is sealed and ported and has a V30 installed (instead of the stock CL80) and it sounds tits. Punchy and raw. I also ran the Brixton through the 2x12 that I run the Shiva EL34 through which has two Creamback 75's in and I actually like it better through the 1x12 w/V30 for that head. However, the Shiva sounds so much better through the Bogner OS 2x12 w/Creambacks....go figure.

Looking forward to your review!

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
I'll try to answer some of your questions or comments;

I'll get a pick of the rear up within 24 hrs. If you know what a "D" style rear ported cover looks like, then you've already got the idea. It's covered with Comet Tolex.

As far as the Line-Out, IRRC, some of the earlier models came with one, but later models don't. The issue was being able to put a standard 1/4" output versus the 1/8" size.....but size constraints hampered placing the larger size.

The Gain variance is super, super sensitive to your input volume. It took me a while to get used to that. You have to find the balance between the front panel Gain setting versus the rear panel Gain. I find if I set the front to around 10 o'clock, and crank the rear, that I get a very cool boost of gain. The other trick is to hit the front end of the Atma with a TS type pedal whole the amp is in the Crunch setting.

I'll get an update up after this Wednesday. BTW, this cab has a very unique way of allowing me to hear the slightest of pickup variances. The difference, for example, between the '69 Custom Shop pickup and my Ron Ellis 50's/60's pickups was phenomenal. Nothing bad, but I could distinguish the tonal difference way easier with the Atma cab over everything else I've tried.

Raymond Lin

Thanks for the update and the picture of the rear /thumbsup

Have you tried any other cabs or speaker to compare to this cab?

Interesting to hear that later models have the line out removed from the Atma?! really? That's weird. I know the very first batch didn't have it, then they stopped production for about 6 months when the Helios was released and then next batch had them (mine). Strange that if I do a google image search for Atma, most of the top results are mine!

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
Thanks for the update and the picture of the rear /thumbsup

Have you tried any other cabs or speaker to compare to this cab?

Interesting to hear that later models have the line out removed from the Atma?! really? That's weird. I know the very first batch didn't have it, then they stopped production for about 6 months when the Helios was released and then next batch had them (mine). Strange that if I do a google image search for Atma, most of the top results are mine!

Well, as far as the line-Out, I'm going off of what I was told...........and that info could have been lousy, so I should have prefaced my comments with "don't quote me on this" :)

Now as far as other cabs, (2x12's): I've used a Goldfinger 2x12 loaded with stock Celestion's and a Forte 3D cab with a Creamback H & M. (1x12's): I've also used a Shiva 1x12 closed back cab that had a Creamback, (H), as well as a Mesa open back cab loaded with a Clestion NEO. So far, I'm liking the Atma paired up with the Atma cab best. It's really tough to explain, as this is one of those "you'd have to be on the room to understand" situations. I think the Aluminum cab has a lot to do with it. It's just got a focus that's pretty unique IMO. Great low end, mid and upper definition. But it comes out like a beam of light.

I think perhaps where some of the energy would be absorbed in a standard Bogner cab, (like in the insulation and wood, as well as just the open space), you get this really nice sound dispersion from the speaker as well as through the ported rear of the cab. The sound hits the wall and fills out. Again....really hard to describe. Anyway, I just ordered a Studio Slips cover for it so I can haul it around. This was one of the few products that Studio Slips didn't have pre-measurements for, so it's going to take a little longer to get.

Raymond Lin

I think I will get one, may I ask what is the build quality like on the front and sides?

As in, does it rattle at high volume?

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
Oh man....the thing is solid as a tank IMO. Seriously......it's 1/4" thick aluminum, (by my measurement), so I think it's probably safe to say it's pretty indestructible. And no, absolutely no rattles or odd noise so far.....and I've cranked it too. Now Bogner has changed the exterior finish from what the first run of Atma's where done in. You can touch the exterior of the cab and it doesn't smudge one bit. It almost looks as though it's been sprayed with a thick'ish vehicle like "wheel-well" paint of some kind. I'd be curious to know what they used.

Now I do have some ideas though, insofar as coming up with a custom Paint Scheme to transform the exterior cab and Atma head shell. I have an Uncle that's got a high-end Paint/Auto Body business....and I've had him customize things for me before. I'm thinking Gold with Red Flames....but I digress:)
Honestly....I would suggest that anyone interested in the Atma cab, that if they can't demo one, that they buy one from Sweetwater, as they have them in stock and they have a good return policy, (and they are really easy to work with IMO). I only mention that because I know what I like regarding how a speaker cab should sound, (and I think this thing sounds killer).........but my ears are unique to me. Someone else could hear it and say "that sucks", (though I doubt that).

My only issue, at the sake of repeating myself.......again..........is the price tag. If this cab was say...$499, I'd say it was a nice deal. If it was $599, I'd say it was palpable, but $769 is almost the price of a Bogner 2x12 cab, ($849). For that extra $80 (& tax), had I not had two 2x12 cabs already, it would have been a no-brainer.

Raymond Lin

Good to know !!!

I won't be ordering from Sweetwater as I am in England, so will have to get it from GuitarGuitar here, which is their only authorised dealer.

The price is high but I can stomach it...price of 3 pedals...

JammyDodger

Gold Supporting Member
I've had my Atma for a few days no. I am tremendously impress with it. The only downside was the real boominess on the clean channel. I am think of taking my 2x12 cabinet and putting the speakings 180 degrees out of phase. I do not have an EQ on my board. Any thoughts?

Cheers!