Bogner Atma Speaker Advice

hthomas

Hello all! I just got myself a Bogner Atma. I have a Port City 1x12OS cab with an WGS ET90(bigger version of the ET65). I am not to wild for the speaker and this head. For those who have had this head, what speakers did you use? I am looking for something thats not super bright like a V30. I need something that can add some thickness to the little 18w guy. I was thinking a Creamback or a greenback style speaker.

Thoughts?

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
Here's another vote for the G12H30. I thought the amp sounded wonderful with that speaker.

I ended up buying the Atma cab with the G12-H-30, and in that particular cab it sounds outstanding IMO. The Creamback was already installed in my Bogner Cube, and while it sounded very good, you could tell there was a reason why Bogner used the G12H30 in the Atma cab.

Ive has my Atma since just after they hit the market and I still love it too. Then again I have a Goldfinger, Shiva and Duende, so I am biased towards RB’s amps.

suparsonic

I know you said no V30 but I use mine with a Bogner cube (V30) and it has a ton of low end. I tried the ATMA cab in a side by side comparison, The Cube easily won for my tastes, thicker and ballsier.

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
I know you said no V30 but I use mine with a Bogner cube (V30) and it has a ton of low end. I tried the ATMA cab in a side by side comparison, The Cube easily won for my tastes, thicker and ballsier.
Just curious, but do you use that setup for gigs? I found the Cube’s low-end with the Creamback to get lost in the mix, as I need more focused mid’s. Anyway, I don’t think there’s any right or wrong answer......just what works best for the individual.

suparsonic

Just curious, but do you use that setup for gigs? I found the Cube’s low-end with the Creamback to get lost in the mix, as I need more focused mid’s. Anyway, I don’t think there’s any right or wrong answer......just what works best for the individual.
Yes I use it for gigs, the V30 is a good speaker with that cab, other cabs the V30 can be too bright.

jguitarslim

Tried bunch speakers w Atma in past and always seemed to wind up back to G12H or variant. Scum J75 which kinda splits diff between GB/H also worked out well iirc. Few guys over at RT were raving bout Alnico Cream but never tried.

Last edited:

spakuloid

If there was any place around where I could actually PLAY a Bogner Atma - I would probably own one. But no way am I buying one without testing it first.

candid_x

I've replaced a V30 with a WGS Retro 30 into a Bogner 112OT-P (Bogner's most resonant cab) and the results are stunning. I've run a Friedman DSM, a Richter tweed bassman, and my favorite, a Louis Columbia blackface through it and they all sound great. It's my new favorite speaker, especially in this open back pine cab.

soopajeanmi

Here’s my setup on this video (not me playing though): atma + CAA 1x12 with a m65 creamback. Great for clean or dirty tones, love it !

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
Here’s my setup on this video (not me playing though): atma + CAA 1x12 with a m65 creamback. Great for clean or dirty tones, love it !

Loved the clean stuff, but once the hi-gain kicked in that video doesn't sound good to me. .Do y'all like that? Is that what the hi-gain on the Atma sounds like?

Eric

V30s are super bright? :dunno

"Thickness" is a little vague, I'm not sure if you're referring to the the frequency response, or the heft of the notes. If you want good low end response, you want an H magnet speaker.

Scumback has a lot of different flavors and it's hard to go wrong with anything they make. Something like an H55 or H75 (similarr to a G12H30, but more like vintage Celestions) would probably align with what you're asking for. But H magnet speakers have a more contoured midrange response, so if you hate scooped tones, watch out for that.

badtoneno

Congrats- great amp. I’ve gigged mine over 3 years which I think is a record! I started off with a Hellatone V30 which was fine. Went to an ET65 I liked a lot for over a year. Never tried the ET90 but I can tell you I had difficulty using a Port City cab in the past with a few amps- they seem to be finicky with different amps & speaker combinations. Tried some other stuff in between but currently have a G12H Anniversary that I like a lot.

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
Better demo here
GREAT! LOVED that guy's playing so much. Still didn't like the higher gain sounds much at all 'til he broke out the White Suhr at the end and then holy **** it sounded great. Ok, now I need to forget I ever saw that. I have 20+ amps, and a Fractal Ax8 and need NOTHING ELSE! lol. Eric

Trending Topics