• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Bogner Blue off to get boost mod (Now with update)

shock me

Silver Supporting Member
I sent my Blue back to Bogner. Should be back next week. I'll update then. Anyone else??

Last edited:

trower

[geer/peyj] hubris, confuse, paralysis by analysis
Gold Supporting Member
Oh Oh...now ya did it!

khowee

Just guessing...I bet it is to fix the boost volume issue. It is the reason I sold mine. It is such a great pedal. With the boost issue, however, it was just too big to justify keeping it on my board as the boost was basically useless for me (and many others). At first Bogner said it was by design. I believe they finally gave in and changed the design (or at least agreed to mod it if you sent it in). I bet if you do a search here on something like 'Bogner Blue boost volume', you will get plenty of hits and info.

cochese

Silver Supporting Member
I sent my Blue back to Bogner. Should be back next week. I'll update then. Anyone else??
I went back and forth with this with Jorg the last few days via email. In general I can use the pedal as is because I run it into amps that are already starting to distort. The problem sometimes is if we get backline amps like a Fender Twin or HRD that are really clean and stiff. That's when the boost is too much.

From what I understand with Jorg is that the mod shifts the "boost gain trimpot only" and that everything else is the same. This enables you to get unity gain when the boost is engaged but if I understood correctly you now get less preamp gain in boost mode. Probably not a problem but I usually run the Plexi mode which has less gain than the Blue side and into a really clean amp I'm not sure if this will work.

Please report back and let us know how you make out. Maybe there is a language barrier as I found it hard to understand exactly how the boost circuit works when I asked him. It seems that the boost volume control is after the main volume not in parallel. Like my Barber Burn Unit it has two gains and two volumes that can be set independently but the Bogner Blue works on a different principal. The boost engages extra gain stages on top of the normal sound hence the volume jump. It's how they configure the boost volume control that seems a little weird but maybe it makes sense if you want a huge volume boost to hit an amp harder.

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
More and more I'm wondering/hoping that the La Grange will be the best of the Blue and the Red.

shock me

Silver Supporting Member
Out for delivery today. Will get back this evening with feedback on the mod.

billyg121

Silver Supporting Member
Awesome ! Can't wait to hear your take on it. If its fixed properly to unity.. I'm going to revisit the Blue.

billyg121

Silver Supporting Member
So after re reading this thread..I think I misunderstood. Does the mod fix the volume jump with the boost..or only tapers the gain pot lower?

the_rising

Gold Supporting Member
Not entirely related to this thread, but I still say the Blue would be the ultimate OD if the boost could be independently switched on.

shock me

Silver Supporting Member
Well the suspense is over. LOL! Not responsible for overloading Bogner with massive influx of Blues to get this mod.

The huge volume increase on the boost channel is corrected. The two channels volumes are equal when the boost side trim pot is off. The GAIN is not affected.

This pedal is now PERFECT! Two channels that are highly usable. Dirty clean and crunchy rhythm on normal, step on boost for some saturation while volumes are at unity unless you adjust the boost trim pot louder.

billyg121

Silver Supporting Member
Fantastic!!! I will be looking for a good deal on a Blue now!! You just paid to ship it out, right ? Did you have to provide proof of purchase ? ..just in case I buy used..

Trending Topics

Top Bottom