Bogner Blue vs Carl Martin Plexitone Single?

Rock72

Anyone had a chance to compare these two? I´m thinking especially the Blue in pleximode. Does the Carl Martin have more gain?

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
I had the large Plexitone, actually was pretty impressive for an analog pedal ... but was noisey, and I think, these days, you can get a modeling pedal that will do the same thing and a 100 other things.

lonetone483

The blue has just as much gain as the plexitone (original big box) when the boost is engaged. The blue is just hands down more verstile. It's a great pedal.

Kyle Ashley

Silver Supporting Member
WOW. tell more, please.
what do you like better?
I got $425 for the VPT by the way ;)

I was a beta tester for the Bogner pedals so I was lucky enough to get them a couple of months before they hit the market. I have 2 Ecstasy amps as well and my initial testing of the pedals into a Bogner Barcelona combo resulted in my almost being able to duplicate the tone of my actual Ecstasy amps exactly.

I had posted this originally, but here it is again:

I was impressed enough with that, but aside from A/B comparisons, they were cleaner, rounder, and more articulate than the PT. I wasn't totally crazy with the stock Plexitone, but after the mod I found it very useable for a nice classic rock crunch platform. When compared to the Bogners though, I found the lower mids on the PT to be a tiny bit murkier and congested.

The PlexiTone was still a great pedal, but for me, the Bogners ended my quest for a super flexible distortion unit. I still use my Ecstasy amps 3-4 gigs a month, but for the smaller club and pub dates, the pedals are doing me right.

Blue-moon

Gold Supporting Member
Why not pick up a used Plexitone...if you don't like it, sell it and pick up a used blue.

jchan

I had both the Blue and Red Bogners. Both are great pedals. I returned them both before the return end date. The Red was great but high gain and I thought it did that well but didn't clean up enough for me. The Blue is another great pedal with a very good amp like overdrive. However, I found that the 2 channels were not practical because the channel switching volume jump is so large that it is unusable, for me. No matter how much you try to adjust the gains, the volume jump is too much. That makes it an effective one channel usable pedal, the high gain channel. It does sound great and cleans up with your guitar volume. I did find that compared to a tube screamer, it didn't cut in the mix as I had hoped. So, the combination of big box, the volume jump between channels and the not cutting in the mix (the way I prefer), made me decide to return it. It is a pedal, I'm sure, that will work very well for many players. I find the Plexitone Small Box to have a great tone also. It too lacks mids, compared to a tube screamer (and WFRAT) and can get buried in the mix. It works best, IMO, with a Timmy or EQ after it, to dial in some more mids. The Plexitone sounds very amp like, does a great Plexi replica type tone, responds well to the guitar volume as long as the gain isn't too high, has a small footprint and is a great pedal. It has much more gain than the Blue Bogner. For me, the Blue Bogner doesn't have enough gain. This was also a factor in returning both Bogner pedals. The Blue does the lower gain, the Red does the high gain, but both pedals on the board are huge. Overall, all three are great pedals though, just different preferences for different folks.

mr_william

I had the large Plexitone, actually was pretty impressive for an analog pedal ... but was noisey, and I think, these days, you can get a modeling pedal that will do the same thing and a 100 other things.
i don't mean to sound rude - so firstly please don't take offense.

i've no experience with the bogner blue/carl martin plexitone, however, i own a line 6 m5 and have tried the drive pedal models a fair amount.

my experience is contradictory to this; the drives from modeling pedals sound and feel more 'pretend' than their analogue counterparts.

specifically what modeling pedal were you using that stacks up to the plexidrive and the blue?

again, please dont take this as an attack - you're entitled to your opinion. it's just that my experiences differ.

cap217

The plexitone is a great pedal. The drive and low end are perfect. Problem is that in your line, it WILL suck tone and A LOT.

oxtone

I had the original C.M. Plexitone for a while - it was pretty darned good, but I felt it was too scooped in the mids. Haven't had a chance to try the single Plexitone.

That said, my Bogner Blue has become my main overdrive pedal for all gigs now, and the people who hire me to play LOVE IT!

Today I picked up the Bogner Red, and will see how that works with my rig. I think with the Blue and Red, I will be set for low, and high gain sounds.

Ryan84

I've discovered that I tweak the Blue and Red very similar, even though they don't sound very much alike.
Same here. Check my settings on the pic of my board in my signature. I set the Blue and Red mostly the same. You ever notice the Blue is a little more bassy?

Trending Topics