Bogner burnley/wessex vs blue/red pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by atson67, May 27, 2015.

1. atson67

atson67 Member

I have the blue and like it except for the size and the boost. How does is compare to the wessex?
    I am still looking for a high gain pedal. Had the riot and the bogner red. The burnley looks interesting ...

2. BrentSP

BrentSP Supporting Member

I just got the burnley in today. I own the blue and red pedal also. In my opinion the burnley sounds way more amp like I front of a pure clean channel. Thick, full lead tone that is very reminiscent to my old shiva lead tone but with more gain. I now want the Wessex if it's anything like the burnley.

3. oxtone

oxtone Member

I have the Wessex - it's nothing like the Burnley. The Wessex is a bright, crunchy OD, while the Burnley I tried
    had a much higher gain, and thicker OD/Distortion sound to my ears. I also have the Blue, and did own the Red for a while.

Just my 2 cents...

4. atson67

atson67 Member

How did the wessex compare to the blue

5. billyg121

billyg121 Supporting Member

Bump for thoughts on Wessex vs Blue.

6. OverDrivenGtr

OverDrivenGtr Silver Supporting Member

I have owned both the Blue and the Wessex. Of the two, I like the Wessex better. The Blue has less overall gain and is stiffer. The Wessex has a better sounding attack, more compression, and an overall more organic feel.

7. Gearzilla

Gearzilla Supporting Member

I own the Blue, and owned the Wessex and the Burnley for a couple of days while I tried them out. I played them with a S/S/S Strat into a deluxe reverb.
    Here is my two cents:
    The Wessex and Burnley both sound really good. The Wessex was good at light breakup and tube screamerish/ blues breaker type stuff with a little more gain on tap than a ts or bb style pedal. The Burnley has quite a bit more gain than the blue. They are also voiced differently than the blue. Anyone else can chime in on this observation which is that the Wessex does not have more gain on tap than the Blue in 20th mode, blue mode,and the boost on and both cranked on full gain.
    To me the Blue has a lot more feedback/feel from the pick and seemed more "amp like" in that regard.
    I liked the Wessex and the Burnley, and liked them best when they were stacked with the Blue.
    After tinkering around with the blue I thought it could cover the range of the other two pedals pretty well, but not exactly because they feel a lot different, and the extra gain provided by the Burnley. I think if I wanted more gain I would check out the Red side by side with the Burnley first before making a decision.
    I set up the blue for one tone with or without the boost, and don't utilize the boost for a second tone to go to for lead etc... because of the booming volume differential when the boost is engaged.
    I have heard that Bogner has a mod to level out the boost's volume or has addressed this with the newer releases of the Blue.
    As usual, opinions vary, and it's always best to check these things out for yourself with your own rig.

Hope this is helpful

p.s. I like to run the Blue into an Xotic EP Booster as long as I have the Variac switch off. Smoothes out the top end of the Blue and in general makes the deluxe reverb sound big with or without the Bogner pedal.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  8. Jupiter Tarts

Jupiter Tarts Member

Ive owned the blue, burnley, and wessex. Of the 3, I kept the burnley, not to say the other 2 weren't good. I owned the wessex for a week thinking it'd replace my mythical overdrive for the sake of space. It's simply voiced differently than a klon clone and didn't get the bright kind of crunchy I liked so I sold it.

The blue was nice and got the good crispy breakup i wanted, not klon like but good, but the boost channel noticeably boosted the volume by a ridculous amount. I never run my amp at breakup levels and let the pedals do most of the work whIle leaving the amp clean. I'd use the neutral channel for light crunch and the moment I boosted it blew my face off. I must say, though that it was insanely versatile in its ability to dial in. Except lowering the volume for the boost channel.

Burnley, to me is simply the best high gain pedal I've ever used. It can get thick, loud, and breakup is smooth. Frankly the only high gain I feel I'll need.

My only two drives on my main board are mythical overdrive and the burnley. Both serve me well on a regular basis.

plan-x and OverDrivenGtr like this.
  9. papersoul

papersoul Member

Just chiming in! I have both the Wessex and Burnley on my board. I don't need any OD or distortion boxes at all, but they are fun to add another flavor into clean ro to add to a gained amp, which I love!!!

Often I use the Burnley like a tube screamer and run it into a gained up amp for leads, and talk about fat, thick, full leads? :)

gollumsluvslave likes this.
  10. markstullkc

markstullkc Member

i am curious about the Wessex and the Harlow.

Get my gain from the amp and use an xotic EP boost, usually with the strats. I tried out the Harlow, was not wild about the bloom, but the thing had tons of boost. Maybe the wessex is what I need, just a little bit more gain with some tone shaping?

Alpo likes this.
  11. papersoul

papersoul Member

Yes, you would love the Wessex. If you can swing it, grab one off ebay and you can easily resell if not. Buying the Wessex and Burnley used was expensive but one of the best things I have done for my sound. I have spent a lot of time and money getting the amps I love, so I figured ehy not get the best OD pedals I could find. Being a hard rock guy, the pedals out there with tubes, always seemed to be best for the lower gain guys, blues, etc. For me, I got less out of those. Next in line to me was the Bogner pedals. You could do better, but I think it is splitting hairs at that point. And really how much do you want to spend on a pedal which is not on all the time. Oh well. To me, I am a huge Bogner fan, so it was an easy buy for me and luckily, except for my wallet, it has worked out. At first I had buyers remorse, but now it has really satisfied everything I could want in a clean boost, medium gain OD, tube screamer, distortion pedal, fat boost, and so on. There is so much versatility in just these two pedals and they sound so good, it is a huge score and will remain with me for many years. Another thoughts if you can find one, is a Fargen modified Sonic Edge J&J OD II with 3 way toggle. I bought one of Ben Frgen's first J&J Overdrives when he started his pedal company. Ben makes the Fargen line of amps that are some of the best hand made amps around. His pedal line never quite took off and he killed it not long ago. Before the end, he had a new J&J OD II with higher end parts and some alterations. KILLER pedal. This pedal started life as he took a popular mod he did for guys, I believe on Marshalls, and he turned this into a pedal! Hence, the J&J. Ben could correct me if I am wrong but that is what I believe. Oh well. Ben is a great guy, and he modified mine to J&J OD II specs, all the top parts, changes, and added a 3 way toggle to go from more mids, tight, tube screamerish (I call it) to stock neutral to California mode, which is huge, bigger bass and highs, etc. All settings sound very natural, as good as my Bogners, and like an extension of every amp I use it with - that alone blows my mind about Ben's pedal. It has a way to mesh with every amp. It sounds like it belongs in the circuitry of my Bogner Shiva, of my PWE Event Horizon and of my Mesa modified Dual Rectifier. Ben is brilliant. If you find one, buy it.

gollumsluvslave and happiass like this.
  12. papersoul

papersoul Member

Each of these pedals has a place. I am finding the most natural sounding for my Red into my amp's clean is to set the pedal Neutral and on 100 or Classic as I call it.in this mode, it sounds very natural and nothing exaggerated. It sounds like another channel on my Shiva, different from stock Shiva 20th.

Wondering if I even need the Blue. The Red set like this can get any gain level I would need.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  13. Ben Sp

Ben Sp Member

Could never justify the board space for a a big pedal with a non-independent boost, as much as I loved the Blue and Red in the store. Burnley was just the thing for me.

Also got the Harlow- ultimate clean boost when you can add a touch of compression

14. Ryan

Ryan Member

I've been debating between the Burnley and the Red. The Red seems more versatile, and can be had used for about the same as a new Burnley. I've been stacking my LTD and Crosstown to get higher gain tones, but I'm trying out for a harder rock band next week and I think having more tonal options would be a good thing.

15. papersoul

papersoul Member

I have the Red and Burnley on my board and love em both. :)

16. papersoul

papersoul Member

Now I have the Burnley, Wessex, XTC Red and Blue. They are all worth it guys.The Red is a bit more bouncy and saggy than the Blue. Set to low gain it still gets killer low and medium gain tones! Wessex and Burnley are amazing. For the Red I like the 100 Structure setting and the Mellow setting where it sounds so natural and huge. I love the built in boost as well, depending on how you set it, you can use as a fat boost, higher gain boost or volume boost. Great stuff.
    With these pedals, EVERYTHING is covered!

17. billyg121

Any hiss with your Red Papersoul? Not high gain hiss, but that talked about white noise hiss?

18. papersoul

papersoul Member

No hiss that I hear on my Red baby. I never use the gain past past 1 or 2 o'clock and never have the boost past 1/4 up. No matter how heavy you play, you should not need more 5han that. Never understand guys that say something like the Shiva lacks gain. Even playing thrash metal at one point on my 20th Shiva, gain was like 1 o'clock. The Boost on this thing is genius. I have the Blue now and ordered the Black Uber pedal too. Really love the Wessex and Burnley. So versatile. Man the Wessex can go from clean boost to the biggest baddest heavy crunch this side of a rectifier.

19. billyg121

Wow, hey PS, a couple questions.
    1. Where do you find yourself typically running the volume knob on the Red?
    2. Do you think the Wessex covers similar ground as the Blue? Im thinking about revisiting the Blue, but maybe i should try the Wessex instead??

20. papersoul

papersoul Member

I like them both and are very different, all different. If you can only have two, I day Red and Wessex. With variac off, I can have volume on Red at about 11 o'clock I guess. Will have to check. Wessex works better than any for into clean channel and with amp gain.