Bogner cabs versus Friedman Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Daprofessor, May 17, 2018.

1. Daprofessor

Daprofessor Supporting Member

Which cabs do you thing are better as 4x12's and 2x12's? I personally like Bogner cabs. But, how do the Friedman cabs (4x12's) stack up in comparison?

2. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

I’ve had excellent results with my Bogner cabs: (2) OS 212s and (1) Shiva 212 but I’ve never tried a Friedman. The Bogner cabs are REALLY good - I mean top notch. How much better could a Friedman really be? 3% better? 5% better?

I guess my point is that with the really high end cabs, comparing one to another is starting to split hairs.

3. Daprofessor

Yes, this is true. Can a Friedman 4x12 be much better than a Bogner 4x12? IDK

4. Vai81

Vai81 Member

I've owned both Friedman and Bogner 4x12s. To my ears, the Friedman have more midrange and less low end. The Bogners have baffle on the back panel which seems to smooth out the tone a little and throws out more bass. Both are great cabs

candid_x and Hamer95USA like this.
  5. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

They are probably made in the same location. I have had both Bogner and Friedman head shells separate at the corner in shipping. Neither are finger joint.

6. Ian

Ian Member

Wow! Now that is interesting! So much for the "quality" of the uber-priced gear! ;)

7. MichiganEsquire

MichiganEsquire Member

Front-loaded Uberkabs are the best closed back cabs I've ever played through, with the exception being old Hiwatt cabs. The Uberkab just sang with whatever speaker you installed in it.

aynirar27 likes this.
  8. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

There’s a clip on YT, Bogner 2x12 vs Friedman both had same speakers, and they don’t say which is which till the end. It was well done in most preferred the Bog.

9. Daprofessor

Yeah, I've owned an Uberkab and many Bogner 2x12's.

2x12 with all v30's
    2x12 with all Creamback 65M's
    2x12 with all Alnico Creams

Looking to add an all greenback 4x12 cab?Not sure which way to go? But, with a BE-100 maybe a Freidman matching cab would be the ticket? But, I've been a faithful Bogner cab guy.

10. MichiganEsquire

MichiganEsquire Member

Bogner will load up whatever speakers you want, with green backs being the same price as their standard model. Got an Uberkab loaded w/ greenbacks directly from them when I was running SLOs. Awesome cab, awesome customer service. That said, I'm sure Dave's cabs are great too.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  11. motokev

motokev Member

My Friedman 1x12 cab for the DS 40 was very good. A big sound out of a 1x12.

BoogieManSC and ColonelForbin like this.
  12. Vai81

Vai81 Member

For what its worth, with my BE100 and SS100, I preferred the Bogner Helios (Greenbacks top/V30 bottom) over the Friedman quad. It had bigger/wider frequency spread than the Friedman. If you want more of a focused tone/cut, go the Friedman.

13. Daprofessor

Yup, all my cabs are custom from Bogner....

14. Daprofessor

Interesting, I have contacted them about that cab.

15. suparsonic

suparsonic Member

Depends what your head says. Badge needs to match!

16. Daprofessor

Would you say the Bogner 4x12 is a better bedroom speaker or a cab one can use by itself? And, the Friedman 4x12 is a better band context speaker?

Having a narrow frequency response that cuts doesn't compete with a bass or high hat frequencies.

17. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

On the contrary, if you find out who makes the cabs and then puts the badge on you can buy from the builder and get the same quality for a boatload less.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  18. Daprofessor

How can you find that out? I live in LA and know someone does the cab work, but I am sure no one wants that information out (builder)?

19. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I suspect if you start a new thread here entitled "Who builds speaker cabinets for _______________" you'll get some learned replies. Sometimes I think the cabinet makers will share, but oftentimes discretely or in a roundabout way ("Yes, our x cab is VERY similar to Brand X's cab").

Companies active here are Mojotone, Mather, JDesign, Stagecraft, Sourmash, and I'm sure more. Not sure if Stone Age or Avatar builds cabs for OEM's but they've got great stuff.

One of my favorite cabs is the compact 1x12 "Cube." You can buy one with a Suhr logo or an identical cab with a Bogner logo and, I suspect with digging, with no logo at all for less.

Putting a logo on a cab doesn't change it's build quality. I've always been amazed how much money people will spend for "OK" cabs with logos like Two Rock.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    FiestaRed and aynirar27 like this.
  20. fetchingEllie

fetchingEllie Member

a good number of the "boutique" amp company cabs are made by vbotique. Go take a look at the models, you'll see your favorite boutique amp companies cabs in there.

https://vboutiqueusa.com/

I have the vumble 1X12 cab...which is the same as the two rock cab.

Hamer95USA likes this.