Bogner cabs versus Friedman Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Daprofessor, May 17, 2018.

1. gman1951

gman1951 Supporting Member

Interesting! I often see the 2x12OS for sale or resale, but rarely this cab (maybe there's a reason I never see them used). I had to special order this one from Sweetwater because this model isn't in their normal stock. What I can say is I've been lovin' mine for years and have no intention of stopping!

2. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

As a manufacturer, I can tell you that the cost difference in raw materials, tolex and cloth is about $150-$250 between a 112 and a 412, unloaded. As far as speakers are concerned, there's a bigger difference, especially if you want superior speakers. If you are happy with $50 each speakers, good, but most are not. You actually do get what you pay for in this arena.

Kriig, rdodson and GtarLover like this.
  3. Unexplainedbacon

Unexplainedbacon Supporting Member

So then it’s labor that makes the up the difference between small and large cabs? Vintage 30’s are probably the most ubiquitous speaker and they’re $150 each retail, I’m sure manufacturers get them for wholesale

4. DaveP

DaveP Supporting Member

The 1x12 Bogner Cube and Freidman Dirty Shirley Mini cabinet look exactly alike. Same size same construction. I have both and they look the same.
    Great sounding cabs, both of them.

ColonelForbin likes this.
  5. suparsonic

suparsonic Member

Probably because the OS 2x12s' have been around for at least a couple of decades. The stackable 2x12s' are a relatively new product from Bogner. Personally I prefer the 1x12 Cube for my needs, they sound monstrous.

gman1951 likes this.
  6. Daprofessor

Daprofessor Supporting Member

Which scum backs did you prefer?

7. Vai81

Vai81 Member

Hey Guys, can you provide some input on the tonal differences between the 2x12CB vs OS2x12? I might be in the market for a 2x12 and would be interested in picking up another Bogner cab.

gman1951 likes this.
  8. Vai81

Vai81 Member

I wouldn't classify it that way. It's more about what frequencies you want the cab to emphasis on, pending on the core tone of your amp.

9. gman1951

Having never owned or played through an OS, I can't speak to that. What I can say about the CBS is that it's the best sounding 2x12 cab I've owned! I did replace the stock V30 speakers with the H75 Creambacks, which I feel resulted in a very full, rich and balanced sounding cab with clarity at all frequencies and plenty of thump. With the V30s, it had a bit too much of that unique mid-focused sort on honk that can set well in the mix, but can cause a bit of fatigue after a while. I never feel this fatigue with the Creambacks. Another aspect of the cab is it's supposed to be exactly half the interior dimensions of the 4x12 cabinet. It really does sound much bigger than it looks.

Over the past few years I've had many heads come and go (numerous Bogners, Friedmans, Carol Anns, Landrys, etc.) and they have all sounded superb through this cab. It's the only piece of gear that, since I've had it, has survived all of my GAS-induced frenzies.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    Vai81 likes this.
  10. logdrum

logdrum Member

I don't need no more cabs bur if I have to get one from these 2, I'll get from Herr Bogner, because he is quirky and has the most inventive and/or mystical naming for his amps.

11. Vai81

Vai81 Member

Thanks for that, really helpful!

gman1951 likes this.
  12. gman1951

13. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Anyone ever compare a Bogner 4x12 to a SourMash?

14. flimz

flimz Supporting Member

I have 2 Sourmash 4x12's and a Bogner. I had one built to the same dimensions as the Bogner (the middle cab), and one to Marshall specs (right cab).
    The Bogner cab has more internal bracing, and polyfil batting on the back panel. So it projects a little more low end, and sounds more focused.[​IMG]

Advisable Owl likes this.
  15. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Thanks! I only have SourMash cabs (and a '77 Marshall) so I'm not really missing too much then?

16. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Nope. From the plywood standpoint, the lowest grade of baltic birch (BB1) 5x5 foot 5/8" thick sheet is around $60 or so (in quantity), and then there is BB2, and BB3 for cabinet and furniture grade, respectively. You'll pay another $15-25 more for the best plywood, BB3. Most lumber companies don't carry it you have to look around. That's what was used in my cabs, hopefully I'll find a reliable cab builder here in So Cal and offer them again.

I use only the real Marshall tolex & cloth, unless the client wants something else, another color, or EC Pinstripe cloth ($500 for a 4x12). The Marshall tolex & cloth is easily 40-50% more than the generic tolex/cloth that most cab makers use.

Most use generic handles, I use my repro metal chrome bar handles for 4x12 cabs, [​IMG]
    or real Marshall strap handles for the 1x12 and 2x12. Better stuff, more money.

Stainless steel bolts/screws, etc throughout, those are 50% more than stock bolts.

And then, yes, there's more labor for a 4x12 than a 1x12 or 2x12. Slant cabs are harder to build, they cost more in labor. After that it's basically speakers, wire, jack/jack plate and fasteners for the back panel, baffle board, etc.

When I was still offering unloaded 4x12's, my cost was just under $600 each @ my cost (add $500 for EC Pinstripe cloth), and I sold them for $799. Not a lot of profit for something that takes 2 days to build. I used to discount the speakers to sell as a package deal for cab buyers, but even then it adds up quickly.

It's probably an extra 30-60 minutes in labor for the difference in building a 1x12 to a 4x12, as the construction is still the same, and you're only adding on 12-16 inches of tolex and cloth per side, plus the speaker hole cutouts. The only way it makes sense to do is if you build 6-12 at a time, and do them in stages that overlap.

Hope that explains it well enough for you!

Hamer95USA, FbIsNotE, Kriig and 4 others like this.
  17. Unexplainedbacon

Unexplainedbacon Supporting Member

Thanks for that detailed explanation, very helpful indeed! I guess economies of scale explains the slight difference in price from small boutiques to the big guys. It’s hard for a layman to grasp the cost

18. ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin Member

I just pulled the trigger on a "used" (floor model or demo model maybe?)
    Bogner 412ST cab; pretty stoked. Got it thru eBay for $589 with free shipping from Fort Wayne IN. Ebay listing and store info didn't mention anywhere but seller ended up being Sweetwater.

Might be here Wed or Thurs! (edit- looks like they are shipping today; be here tomorrow!!! Game 7 + new Bogner cab + wife out of town = :banana :beer:dude:rockin

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  19. ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin Member

I have the open back Dirty Shirley cab (but not the amp!) and I love that cab! It rocks.dig the creamback. My buddy has gigged it a few times with my 50w PRS head; that rig cuts through their mix nicely

20. rdodson

rdodson Supporting Member

I have the same cab, with Scumback M75s. Just killer, my wife got it for me as a birthday gift ~ 7 years or so ago. Makes EVERYTHING I play through it sound better.

gman1951 and Scumback Speakers like this.