Bogner cabs versus Friedman Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Daprofessor, May 17, 2018.

1. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

Didn't you have a Bogner 2x12C (regular OS) at one point? I too am interested in the difference between the Bogner CBS and C cabs.

Cheers!

2. rdodson

rdodson Supporting Member

Back when I had my first 20th Anniversary Shiva (in white) I had the matching white OS 2x12 with V30s. I liked it, but I changed that amp to EL34 operation and did not like that. I did like the sound of the OS, but am not a huge V30 fan - I have been using Scumbacks for years now. I found my current one, which was a total custom job with the Scumback M75s, for sale by a recording artist in Austin. Now the cab is a regular production model. To be honest, I'd love to run in tandem with an OS slot-back with H magnet speakers, but I'm not carrying all that around!

Scumback Speakers likes this.
  3. gman1951

gman1951 Supporting Member

Totally agree! Easily the best 2x12 cabinet I've ever had or played through. A bit on the heavy and expensive side but this is one instance where you get what you pay for.

rdodson likes this.
  4. Daprofessor

Daprofessor Supporting Member

That’s a steal!!!

ColonelForbin likes this.
  5. ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin Member

I had hoped so! Crazy eBay.. Glad to hear someone else thinks so too!

6. Daprofessor

I would have pulled the trigger on that one too!

7. negative.feedback

negative.feedback Member

I saw George Lynch say his favourite current cab is the new 5150III 4x12. He said if he uses one of those when he rents back-line that he'll have a 20% better night.

8. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

JDesign does do some finger jointed cans but not ALL are. I think it's his Fargen and Custom cabs that use the finger joint method.

I have 2 Bluesbteaker cabs by him and they are done with a "pocket hole" technique (whatever that is).

They are nice cabs and sound great and have held up well. But justvsonothers know not to assume all his cabs are. Generally the standard cabs you can buy now in stock use the pocket technique it seems.

Like I said- still great cabs. I've had my 2 Bluesbreakers cabs for about 5 years and no complaints.

9. rdodson

It is a great 4x12. I don't care for the cosmetics (only because I'm now a grey-haired traditionalist who wants a cane or salt/pepper grill cloth) but the sound is KILLER.

10. ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin Member

the EVH speaker is a pretty good deal $50 less for basically same as a heritage greenback!

I wonder how they (evh g12( would pair with V30 in a 4x12?

11. rdodson

You would have to keep the Heritage GBs on top, because the V30 is a tremendously more efficient speaker. The Chinese/regular GB is a tiny bit more efficient which helps with this discrepancy. In theory, it should sound amazing. I think an even better fit for the bottom two speakers (if you wanted to do the all-arounder thing with the EVH 4x12) would be Scumback H75s. They'd pair a little more nicely with the Heritage/EVHs. More $$ of course.

12. Daprofessor

I saw that interview too and thought huh? I think that cab has reissue Chinese made Greenbacks which I hear many people prefer. I know he was always a fan of Greenbacks. I also heard Dave Friedman say he prefers the first reissues of Greenback speakers over the new ones. However, I have been waiting patiently for Dave Friedman's Celestion Greenbackish speakers to become available.

13. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Dave is designing speakers now?

14. Daprofessor

Yes, they should be out soon. It was mentioned in one of his 2018 NAMM videos on youtube.

15. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Wow. Interesting to see what his idea is.

16. AK1016

AK1016 Supporting Member

I think Bogner build their cabs in-house but I'm not sure, I believe Boutique Amps Distro only builds their pedals. I haven't played a Friedman cab but I had a Bogner Cube 1x12 and it was absolutely awesome!

17. Daprofessor

I believe Bogner and Friedman contract their cabs outside their companies. And, BAD builds pedals and amps for multiple designers (Wampler, Morgan, Freidman,...). I have been to both locations, as I live in Los Angeles.

AK1016 likes this.
  18. Daprofessor

Shiva 20th Anniversary (El34)+ Bogner 2x12 (Scumback M75/H75) + Gibson SG = Insane tone!

Scumback Speakers and rdodson like this.
  19. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

Resurrecting. I have the Bogner OS (with full and semi-open back panels) and Friedman 2x12. ...You guys seem to prefer Bogner 2x12CBS; does it fill the room compared to the Bogner OS? What are the sonic differences?

Cheers.

20. gman1951

gman1951 Supporting Member

I've never played through an OS Bogner, but I would imagine it's probably a bit more open and has greater dispersion than the CBS. The CBS is rather directional, but has serious "thump" going on in the lows and low-mids.

I have no desire to move around a 4x12 cabinet, but want to get as close as possible to that sound. The CBS cabinet has a solid, thumping bass and sounds much bigger than one would think from its size. All IMHO, of course.

Hope this helps.