Bogner cabs versus Friedman Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Daprofessor, May 17, 2018.

1. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

Cool. ...I have the OS, and am wondering if the CBS would be great for a bottom cab and I could put my Friedman on top of the CBS.

2. gman1951

gman1951 Supporting Member

Sounds like a killer setup to me!

Doesn't the OS have an angled baffle? If so, you get all of the benefits of that, plus the bottom-end "thump" provided by the CBS (even more so if it's on the floor).

3. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

Yes, it has an angled baffle.

...BUT...Well, I was thinking to sell my Bogner OS, (which I modded to have .205 terminals (tight) on the speaker wire AND the open back panels), and use the CBS on bottom and Friedman on top!

4. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

I had the Bogner Classic 4x12 w/ V30's for many years. Great sounding cab with any amp and all around the best cab I have used. I only sold it because I needed a greenback loaded cab and with the money I made selling the Bogner I was able to order a new 4x12 from Splawn. All my cabs are Splawn now and are great sounding well built alternatives, but I do wish I had kept that Bogner sometimes.

ColonelForbin likes this.
  5. danburton

danburton Supporting Member

I have an Ubercab from Bogner and one of Dave's regular 4x12's. Both sound great, but the Friedman cab has some kind of mojo to it. Basically every amp I have sounds its best through the Friedman cab. I dont know if mine is just special or if all of Dave's cabs are like that. Ubercab does sound really good with my Uberschall, and some of the more "metal" stuff. Dunno how the non-uber cabs from Bogner sound.

6. Daprofessor

Daprofessor Supporting Member

Well, I am the original poster of this thread and want to inform everyone that I have both 4x12's now. I know, I am sick...

Nevertheless, what has been reported here is true. It's essentially the same cab, but the Bogner comes with internal baffling which helps bring out the bottom end. The speaker configuration is different with the Bogner having Scumback M and H (65 watts) which make it bit classic sounding. Friedman has the V30 and Greenback mix which make it a bit modern sounding.

Ironically, theres at most a 5% difference in sound and feel between the two cabs? I have a bunch of 2x12 cabs, but prefer a 4x12 cab.

This is essentially what people have remarked about the comparison of the two cabs....

ColonelForbin, bxlxaxkxe and Kriig like this.
  7. Vai81

Vai81 Member

Both are great cabs.

[​IMG]

8. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

So you feel that the Bogner has a tighter, punchier bottom end? Also, is the Bogner on casters vs. Friedman on the floor?

I found my Friedman 2x12 to have a bigger bottom end than my Bogner OS 2x12. Been wanting to compare the 4x12s.

9. Daprofessor

Daprofessor Supporting Member

Both cabs are on the floor, I didn't install the casters on the 4x12. I have 4 Bogner 2x12 OS cabs all without the casters an are on the floor. They sound big with bottom end, but the 4x12 sounds bigger. I even like the sound and feel of 1 4x12 versus 2 2x12 cabs played together. It just sounds bigger.

Of course the V30's in the Freidman may add more mid punch as compared to the Scumbacks in the Bogner. But, the Bogner has more bass and a wider frequency range.

10. BrentSP

BrentSP Supporting Member

Been a Bogner fan for 15 or so yrs and just recently in the past couple of years been playing Friedman amps with bogner cabs. Last year bought a Friedman DS112 cab and found it pretty good with the lynchback speaker but too dark with the CB65.

Just this past week I bought a Friedman 212. Compared to my Bogner 212C cabs (some call them OS212) the Bogner is much more clearer and woody sounding. Hard to describe but just has a chewiness where the Friedman is a bit warm and focused to my ears. Construction/design wise...what the hell was dave thinking? No side handles, no casters and is the exact same price as the Bogner 212 with all the hardware. Don’t give me the BS of less is more and sounds better without the hardware because the bogner sounds better overall. Just really disappointing. But hey, it matches my BE100 and SB50 and looks great. Luckily I don’t gig anymore because the Friedman 212 would be hell to move.

11. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

Bumping. I'm torn between the Bogner and Friedman. ...Lots of other options, too. I just ran across the Peavey Invective 4x12 and it has V30s/Creambacks, which is a cool mix.

Anyone do the Pepsi challenge recently with Bogner vs. Friedman?