Bogner Duende: OH MY GOD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by omfg51, Feb 19, 2012.

1. omfg51

omfg51 Member

Recently, during a visit to my local Guitar Center, I was perusing the used section at the back of the store, as I usually do, just in case there is something noteworthy. They have a nice slieu of amps that are always there, a couple of Mesas, some cheaper Marshall combos, a tweed Fender Blues Deluxe, Vibrolux, and a Deville.

But they had just gotten something in that immediately caught my eye. Right smack in the middle of the others on the shelf, was sitting a Bogner Duende 15 watt combo. I know that Bogner amps are not a common market amp and that they are generally hard to come by locally no matter where you live, so this seemed like a real treat.

I plugged it in, turned it on, and went to find a good guitar to play while it warmed up. I got back, and as soon as I started messing with the dirty channel, I was hit in the face with a sound like a bag of bricks that I hadn't heard in a long time. The amp sounded fantastic!! I was just kind of messing around, but the thing had absolutely captured the classic marshall tone without even trying.

I had heard that Bogner was pretty close to marshall in sound, but this was unreal. I just couldn't help myself and I just had to crank up the volume a little. I put about halfway up, pretty loud for the regulars in there. But as soon as I started playing again, I couldn't stop grinning and I couldn't turn it down without turning it off. I was getting some attention from other people but I didn't care, I was playing a f***ing awesome amp!!

Anyway, I looked at the price tag, and low and behold, used, it was still $1500. Not in my price range, but I hadn't planned on buying it any way. Even sadder still, the next day I went back with a few friends with the intention of showing them and it was gone. I asked a guy and he said he thought it was probably put on layaway. I had figured it would either be there a really long time, or barely any time at all. I was half right :D.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my experience with you all, cheers everyone!
    :beer :munch

2. 3th3r

3th3r Member

Well, now I want to play one.

3. omfg51

omfg51 Member

They really are great little amps. They have a head version, as well as a 30 watt version.

4. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

A Bogner Duende in a GC would be a pleasant find.
    Not surprised someone snapped it up (maybe after hearing you play it).
    Bought mine for the livingroom six years ago.
    Great effects loop.
    Two great channels. Lots of tones.
    A beautiful combo.
    Happy with mine.

5. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

I've got the 30 watt 6L6 head - beautiful cleans and an incredible gain channel, very plexi-ish

6. professorfingers

professorfingers Member

Hi,

My first post!!!!! I just wanted to bump this because I am interested in this amp. I have heard some really good sounds from Youtube posts.

TW

7. IceTre

IceTre Supporting Member

After I heard you playing, I saw you leave, so I bought it. Just kidding! :)
    I recently saw two rock/metal bands at a local rock club, one guy was playing a Bogner, and it caught my ear, it was clearly a notch above the other amps tonewise. So the next day I went online a priced them. I need to sell about 3000 more CD's before I can buy one.

8. Sammicus15

Sammicus15 Member

You don't live in Boise do you?

9. cbguy

cbguy Green & Gold Supporter

I've had one for about 5 years now and really enjoy the vibe. I have a couple of RedPlates that I use a lot but the Duende has a special sound with big bottom and just the right amount of hair.

I'm not at home and am posting this from my phone but if you go to YouTube and search for "Dale Inskeep Band at Mingus Park" you'll find 3 or 4 videos of my Duende that I think sound pretty good (especially since they were video off a hand-held camera).

If anyone wants to help me out by imbedding the vid(s) then thanks. Otherwise I'll post them later this week. I especially like the "swamp" switch that was on the earlier models.

In short, I agree, they're real nice amps.

10. professorfingers

professorfingers Member

Do you have the 6V6 or 6L6 version?
    Thanks,
    TW

11. Gnarlly

Gnarlly Member

Nice amps. I used to own the 1x12 15 watt combo and the 1x10 12 watt combo. Fantastic Fender-like clean tones, nice reverb (not footswitchable though :( , swampy tremelo, and a smooth gain channel with plenty of gain. Combining channels is a nice feature and worked well for me as a solo boost. If the gain channels had a mid control and/or more bite to them, I may have kept those amps.

12. digthosetubes

If his has a swamp switch, it's a 15watt 6v6 version.
    The next iteration of the amp dispensed with the swamp switch and used a different and heavier set of transformers to tighten up the bottom end.

13. digthosetubes

What guitars did you play through your Duendes? My favorites are the Teles through a Duende.

14. cbguy

cbguy Green & Gold Supporter

TW - what digthosetubes said. It's a 15 watt model.

15. Dspec1

Dspec1 Supporting Member

My best friend Duende likes my SRV strat and Tele best.

I've bought and sold a number of quality amps, but the Duende will be with me for the foreseeable future.

There are times when it's all warmed up (and me too) that the sound coming from the speakers seems almost ethereal. Seriously.

16. Gnarlly

Gnarlly Member

Mostly Strats, but some other guitars as well. The amps sounded very nice at home, but just could not "bite" enough in band settings (especially the distortion channel). I ended up going back to Marshalls and Fenders + pedals for gigging, which I have never had problems cutting through the mix with.

nospickups likes this.
  17. INX

INX Member

I like how amps from the great masters have high value. They make you reach in ways you may not have thought possible.

18. MT Buckaroo

MT Buckaroo Silver Supporting Member

They do a "high gain" mod and can add a global mid control at the factory.

(ahem, cough, cough... check out the Amps Emporium... just sayin')

19. digthosetubes

I know what you mean about the amp not biting. The second version would definitely have more bite. And it's great with Teles.
    I've heard the Duende aptly described as a tweed deluxe on steroids. Of course it shines doing blackface, too.
    Versatile -- but the original Duende with its GZ34 rectifier and swamp switch I don't think was intended to be an amp that bites real hard -- and probably isn't going to be the tool of choice for guys who want to play live and be sure they are heard through the mix. Gorgeous tones, though, and in enough variety to delight the senses. A great recording amp and one for the livingroom. At very low volumes, which I am preferring more these days, this amp gives it out. That's pretty much why I bought it.

20. Gnarlly

Gnarlly Member

Both of mine were the second version, with pull-out boost (no swamp switch). I had a similar issue with my Shiva's gain channel. For me, the Bogner distortion tone doesn't cut it in live settings. Too "refined" and "polite" for my tastes.