Bogner Ecstacy - help needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by casus, Apr 5, 2015.

1. casus

casus Member

I've decided to order an XTC next week. Got a few questions for whoever owns one.
    I'll be using a pedalboard with the Musicomlab mkIV on it. Is there any way to control all the footswitchable options on the XTC - with the Musicomlab?

Also - which speakers work well with the XTC? I'm guessing a Bogner OS 2x12 with V30's is a safe bet?

2. casus

casus Member

3. daa2202

daa2202 Silver Supporting Member

I don't think so. The Ecstasy is not MIDI-enabled, and the footswitch is proprietary. Many of the switchable options are not controllable by the Bogner footswitch, either.

If you're looking for a high gain, multi-channel MIDI-enabled amp, the ENGL Special Edition comes to mind. The Hughes & Kettner TriAmp is another one. There are probably some others, but those are two I know of - and the ENGL is quite a good sounding amp. I can't speak to the H&K, as I've not had the chance to hear one "in the flesh." Neither of these are inexpensive options but then again, neither is the Ecstasy.

(I have an Ecstasy 20th Anniversary.)

4. daa2202

daa2202 Silver Supporting Member

Sorry, meant to comment on speakers, as well. The Bogner OS 2x12 sounds very good, but it's almost the size of a 4x12. I have run my Ecstasy with both a Marshall 1960BV (w/V30s) and a Marshall 425A (w/Greenbacks) and it worked well with both of them, but i slightly preferred the V30s. I didn't like it as well with Celestion G12-75T (as used in a standard Marshall 1960 cabinet.)

5. mickelodeon

mickelodeon Member

Footswitchable options are:

Channel 1
    Channel 2
    Channel 3
    Boost 1
    Boost 2/3
    Standby
    Loop

All can be controlled by any switching system that can switch 1/4" jacks with the use of a Medusa cable, available from Bogner, which switches their 7-pin to 7 individual 1/4" plugs. The Medusa cable isn't very long, so you'd need to either find a 7-pin to 7-pin cord and breakout at the pedalboard, or run 1/4" cables from the back of your amp to the pedalboard.

Everyone recommends V30s. I've had the best results with G12-65s. People say that shouldn't work as the Bogner is a smooth/dark amp, and the G12-65s are a smooth/dark speaker, however I find the smoothness of the speaker lets me push the highs on the amp a lot more than I can with V30s, while avoiding becoming harsh, resulting in an overall clearer tone out of the amp. Your mileage may vary.

Cheers!

6. iggs

iggs Member

Sure thing, get one of these:
    http://www.rjmmusic.com/miniampgizmo.php

With this cable:
    http://www.rjmmusic.com/store/searc...e=search&by_sku=on&search_in_subcategories=on

Worked like a charm when I had my XTC.

My fav cab is Bogner 4x12 straight with V30, never played the Bogner OS but lot's of folks praise it. I love V30 and think they work best for loud, live mix applications, especially with XTC.

7. Flash6969

Flash6969 Member

Highly recommend the RJM mini amp gizmo. Even if you sell the amp later, you can use the amp gizmo for other amps - just get a new cable.
    I use my RJM on my Ecstasy & it works perfectly.

8. B Money

B Money Member

I have an Axess Electronics AC8 'Amp Controller' that I used to change channels on my Ecstasy via midi.
    I haven't used it in a long time since I got away from using a midi foot controller, but it was a nice solution.
    The RJM amp gizmo is a similar device.

9. casus

casus Member

Awesome! Thanks alot for helping me out guys.