Bogner Ecstasy: 101b or Classic for EJ & EVH?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rdodson, Feb 29, 2012.

1. rdodson

rdodson Supporting Member

Bogneristas,
    I currently have a 20th Shiva. Amazing. Love it. BUT...I played an XTC for the first time the other day and it is more "me". My influences are early EVH, Eric Johsnon, Allan Holdsworth, and pre-Fender Clapton.

The XTC made me sound even more like me, or the sound I hear in my head at least. If you could combine the sound of early EJ with Fair Warning...which is a tall order... My 20th is a tone monster, but it seems a bit more aggressive than the sounds I'm going after. For instance, I've gotten great tones out of my old SLO in the past, but that amp is a one-trick-pony.

Anyway, which model would fit my needs best? If you are completely bored you can check out my playing style here: http://www.youtube.com/user/iamrondodson

Thanks a ton.

2. rdodson

No one? C'mon Bognerphiles.

3. Laplacian

Laplacian Member

Not sure I'm much help as I'm not an experienced a Bogner-phile as yet, and I have a 100b, not a 101B.

The blue channel with gain up, and the boost engaged is pretty much "Fair Warning" with the channel volume at about noon. Unchained is spot on.

If I flip the red channel to "Plexi" and run volume and gain at max and control with my guitar volume, It will easily do Cream period Clapton, I would also use that "Plexi" setting with appropriate pedals for EJ lead tones.

The Green Channel (at least on the 100b), while good, wouldn't be able to pull off EJ cleans perfectly, but probably close enough.

I think the Red Channel is different on the 100b than the 101b, since the Red channel on this 100B is (excuse the superlatives) the most righteous "open" un-compressed hi gain that lives somewhere in the outer reachs of Marshall but not quite anymore land.

I have heard the Red Channel on a 101b is much more compressed, perhaps that is more Holdsworth-ian. I dig the un-compressed-ness of the 100b personally.

The issue on any XTC as I understand it is that you can't have "Plexi", Blue & Red all on at the same time. I kind of wish the Green was just "Plexi" for that reason. Blue rolled back on the guitar volume is close to "plexi", but not the same.

Not sure if that helps, just what I can offer.

4. rdodson

Very helpful. I'm leaning towards a Classic which is more similar to a 100 rather than a 101.

5. billconnorsfan

billconnorsfan Member

FWIW, Eric used a 100B all over the Woodland performances in place of his Dumble Steel String Singer.

6. RSRD

RSRD Member

Ron, did you end up chasing an xtc? Or still clinging to the 20th sheaves as I am?

7. rdodson

I ended up with a 101B and am very happy - it does the EJ & EVH thing well.

8. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I love bogner XTCs but they wouldn't be my first or tenth choice for EVH tones.

9. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

The 101b is less "open" than the Classic but has the browner tone and a bit more compressed. I can get some eric Johnson tones out of mine. The classic has this way of breathing and has a great open tone but the 101b is a bit more sweetly compressed. it will get you that sound

10. rdodson

I have a Metropoulos 12000 if I want to do 6-pack EVH. The thing about the 101b is that it does Fender Twin, controllable 2203, and 600lb-violin...all without changing a knob. Then if you want to tweak you can add a cleanish (think 69-70) Marshall to that.

I can get very close to the Fair Warning sound on the Blue channel when boosted or the Red channel dialed back with B2 engaged. And, I can do it at a whisper if needed. VH1 sounds are a different thing and really you have to have that exact '68 circuit with some sort of variac/voltage drop to nail it.

Do I absolutely LOVE cranking my Metro '68 SL replica? Well, yeah! But the Bogner is a much more useful and controllable beast that can get even louder than the Metro.

11. suparsonic

suparsonic Member

I did a rough EVH song here.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGbodivb5nw It's only room recording but you can hear the amp gets Marshall EVH territory. It's a 100B BTW. EJ actually owned a 100B for quite some time, he sold it around 2005, it was for sale on Ebay.
    I tried a 20th Shiva in a shop and really liked it, it sounded similar to the 100B but I felt it needed another channel. The XTC is a masterpiece!

12. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

I can see how crossing those two Tones could be Monstrous and fun to listen to...

Kind of a notch or two Crunchier than EJ was on "Righteous" ?

13. Supercubziggy

Supercubziggy Member

I have a 100B that i have had for 20years. I still love the amp and it does a lot of great things. Recently bought an SL68 and it does the EVH stuff really well. Its more "open" than the 100B and the harmonics and feedback are dead on. I don't mean sort of correct, i mean scary, dead nuts on. Really a great amp. The master volume is excellent also. Probably the best i have used.

14. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

If you like the XTC just get that.

You could have the exact same gear EVH used to record his classic sounds some people have been chasing for the last 30 years or so and realize that you are still missing a very important part of the puzzle: EVH.

Get the amp you want and play whatever you want the way you want it. That is the only way it will ever make sense. Heck, I play Led Zeppelin, Journey, Hendrix, etc using my Mesa Roadster and have yet to hear any complaints about my sound. I still sound like me playing all those classic songs the way they make sense to me :)

Dannyz likes this.
  15. RSRD

RSRD Member

Interesting post, thanks. Sounds like the suhr is as amazing as I was hoping for. Now I just need the price to come down...wonder how much they'll fetch when they hit the used market .

16. shampoch

shampoch Supporting Member

I own a classic XTC and (3) 5150's including the Stealth. They are all different. My XTC is a cold dead hands amp for me.

17. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

The SL67 will do what the SL68 does but at lower volumes (50W and 20W instead of 100W and 50W) Sounds huge at 20W, smaller size and easier on the wallet ;-)

18. jamme61

jamme61 Supporting Member

Id love to p/u a Suhr-SL-67 but $3500 ? I suhr SL-67 needs a lower price IMHO $3500 is crazy Bogner is coming out with the hand wired Helios at $2500. what's up with $3500? sorry just pissed can't afford any of these amps

19. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

Basically all of our products are priced based upon a direct relationship of our costs and labor. We do no artificial inflation or discounting. Some companies could be undercutting to capture a market and might be the deal of the century. Sometimes you simply get what you pay for. Just because an amp is "hand wired" doesn't tell me anything about the quality of the components or the exact method of construction. If a company settles for a lower gross profit to try and take some market share they will feel the repercussions later. For instance our amp is meticulously built using all military quality components. The potentiometers cost me 15x what I could purchase a potentiometer that would work perfectly fine but I wanted to go the extra mile. I can not cut the cost of the amp without making changes that I dont want to make, this is a no compromise amp. I decided to build these as bullet proof as humanly possible. We also have a lifetime warranty so we want to make sure they are built to last. Sorry but "hand wired" is not a correct indicator to use as a comparison. I do promise you with our product you really get what you pay for. In the scenario of if I were to sell it for less money with the exact same build. We would not be able to continue to grow and provide the support to assure the lifetime warranty actually means something. For us it is simple math of knowing what gross profit we need to make to continue being a strong company which is to the benefit of the customer as well as the health of our company and employees.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  20. RSRD

RSRD Member

All that makes sense. That said, I personally won't go over 2,200 for an amp. Too many great amps on the used market for that price. Maybe one day I'll be able to afford a used sl67. Until then, it's xtcs, slo's, pt100s for me ;)