Bogner Ecstasy 3534

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bxlxaxkxe, Nov 14, 2019.

1. dancareaga

dancareaga Member

2. gtr37

gtr37 Member

I love the white not so found of the gold piping
    The original silver looked better IMO

3. dancareaga

dancareaga Member

The white is a bit stark looking for me but the gold is really a bit much with the white! ha ha ha

4. green72

green72 Supporting Member

How's the low end on it? Can it really thump?

5. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Not as good as my Hendrix bottom 4x12 but sounds good. The 1x12 matching cab sounds great too

6. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

First afternoon assessment is it’s a really cool amp!

PBGas likes this.
  7. Ken

Ken Silver Supporting Member

The clean (green channel) on the amp has really surprised me. Very dynamic and punchy. I enjoy playing that channel quite a bit. Just got in the 112C cab a few days ago and it matches up really well. Very pleased with the rig overall. I even like the red channel and I’m not a high gain player, but it has that liquid lead tone, think Neal Schon style around 9am. So far my one issue, a small one is when you turn on the amp it is in the red channel, so I gotta switch to the green (life is tough) lol.

jamme61 likes this.
  8. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Hahaha. Mine does that too!! Red channel on startup. Funny. Cool amp for sure and the clean channel is great Many great tones by switching knobs and switches and that is a good thing.

jamme61 and Ken like this.
  9. CHrisP86

CHrisP86 Member

I’ve currently got the oversized 212 and 212cb both with v30’s. Sounds good through both.

I really am tempted by the matching 112 as well.

Also loving the GF45. Definitely a more vintage voiced classic rock sound.

How are you guys getting ‘plexi’ sounds from the 3534?

10. Ken

How does the 3534 compare to its big brother the 101b?
    Never played a 101b, so I’m curious just how close and or different they.
    Thanks

11. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Silver Supporting Member

I own both.

I want to do a PROPER back-to-back comparison one day, complete with a video. But... I will say this: they're both stellar.

Greens: Dare I say, the green channel on the 3534 is better. Way more in the Shiva-caliber cleans ballpark. It's just so good. Sparkle, chime, warmth. Just awesome.

The blue channel is everything you'd hope it would be, capturing the vibe of the 101b. Super satisfying at low volumes too.

The Red channel surpised me. Yes, it has a butt-ton of gain, but dialed in right, it feel great, super sustain and plays itself. But it can do awesome detailed rhythm tones too.

NamaEnsou, jamme61, Ken and 1 other person like this.
  12. Killcrop

Killcrop Member

I agree. I will add that the the 3534 is a bit more open than the 101b at lower volumes. The 101b really unleashes it goods about half way up the volume. The 3534 does it at a way more manageable level. I think the 3534 red is tighter, more aggressive and gainer than the 101b as well.

NamaEnsou, jamme61 and Ken like this.
  13. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Silver Supporting Member

Agreed w/ Killcrop's observations all the way.

Also: the clean takes pedals incredibly well. I was just rocking some fuzz pedals into the green channel, at conversation volume levels, with great results.

jamme61 and Ken like this.
  14. splatter

splatter Supporting Member

I didn't read all these posts so I'll just ask. What do you people think of the white noise that is on the gain channel which can't be dialed out?
    If you turn the gain way up its very prominent, As you decrease the gain it dies down but is still there. I've had 2 and so I know its not just mine and changing pre tubes makes no difference.

I still love the tone I get or this would be gone because of the white noise

15. marshall2553

marshall2553 Supporting Member

Is this with the loop engaged or not? Mine has a tolerable amount of hiss with the loop in, but with the loop out it's relatively quiet considering how much gain the red channel has.

16. splatter

splatter Supporting Member

Loop in, i never disengage the loop

17. green72

green72 Supporting Member

I've had 4 different Shivas. The original silverback EL34 and the green one, a 6L6 combo and the 20th. They all sounded great, (although I didn't care for the 20th) but I always ended up selling them because they felt kind of stiff and I seemed to be fighting with them.

How is the feel on the 3534? Is it like the Shiva?

18. Ken

I had an EL34 Shiva head and loved the clean channel but could not bond with the drive channel. The drive channel was stiff IMHO. The 3534 has a shiva like clean but not as big sounding because its only 35 watts vs 90 watts. When I demo’ed the 3534 there was a shiva anni there and I test drove both. The lead channel on the 3534 fits me better. It has more give and dynamics, but still has the Bogner sound.

NamaEnsou and jamme61 like this.
  19. Incufan7

Incufan7 Member

Man, reading about these loop issues has really made me reconsider my sweetwater order. I am already being pulled towards the synergy stuff due to technology interests. Maybe you amp-centric peeps can give me your perspective like some of the kind Synergy folks over on rack gear.

I've used an AxeFX2 for a few years and by and far my most used amp models are the BE-100 and the Ecstasy. Other models I have really liked are the Dirty Shirley and Orange RVii (iii). I can't afford a BE-50 but I can afford the Ecstasy 3534, or a synergy 50 head w/modules. I am getting rid of the AxeFX2 because I want something that has a more Amp head like user experience (turning knobs not sitting at a computer). I also want to try the simple is best approach again as that was a more enjoyable experience for me than the massive options paralysis that modelers have brought (I am weak willed and lose practice time to endless tweaking).

How the amps would be used is the speaker out would go to a cab and the line out would go to a ir loader then foh (basically how I use my axe2 live). Not sure if I would need a Suhr RL-IR with the Ecstasy or not...need advice on that.

So a little pro/con (maybe yall can help to alleviate some cons?)

Bogner Ecstasy 3534 ($2000)
    Pro
    - I have used and loved both red and blue guitar pedals along with the amp sims in the Axe. So I know exactly what I would be getting.
    - It sounds great in videos and based on most peoples reports.
    - Its EL34 which is my fav powertube
    - The build quality should be top notch
    - Its a Bogner.
    - It looks sexy
    - Small size
    - less weight

Cons
    - apparent loop hum which I know will irritate me.
    - Couple of people with faulty units in the first batch
    - The complete lack of midi (This is actually a major annoyance) so I have to buy a voodoo labs switcher to change channels (+$150)
    - Might need a Suhr RL-IR which I could get used (~$500)
    - Only one amp flavor (but maybe that is all I really need?)
    - No Schizo switches (not sure if this is a con or if I should really care)

Total Price $2650

Syn 50 Head ($1600 + ~$700-$800 for two used modules = ~$2300
    Pro
    - Has a BE-100 model that also comes with a Buxom Betty channel (Really dig this)
    - Has a Bogner Ecstasy module that has both red and blue channels along with toggles for Pre-EQ (3534 has this) and Schizo (3534 does not have this)
    - Has a lot of other modules I would be interested in collecting (scratches that amp collecting itch for me).
    - Has a DI that was designed by Dave Friedman. Supposedly it is similar to a mic no mo but not as good (according to Mr. Friedman).
    - Bruce Egnater designed head, quality construction, looks pretty slick
    - Comes out of the same factories as the Friedman stuff
    - Full midi control
    - FX loop has nobody complaining about a hum

Neutral
    - Has 6L6 tubes but apparently it is design to not get much color from the tubes so the EL34 based amp modules still sound mostly correct

Cons
    - Large
    - Probably heavy
    - Are the modules going to sound somewhere in the ballpark of the real amp? (I have 0 experience with them, they sound incredible over the internet though)
    - Apparently doesn't push air like a real amp (pretty sure my powerstage 170 doesn't push air either so... I might not care much about this)
    - More failure points
    - Amp techs might not be able to work on them
    - Lacks the depth control of the Fryette designed syn5050 power amp (one of the reasons I am considering the rack stuff in a head shell)
    - Probably still needs a reactive load (another reason to consider the rack stuff in a head shell) (used Suhr reactive load ~$300)

Total price: $2600-$2700

For the hell of it the total cost of the Syn-5050 and syn2 would be about (1200(5050) + 800(syn2) + 700-800(modules) + $250(head like rack) = $3050

Price wise either head is a better option. No idea what direction I should take. If the Bogner had midi and no loop hum complaints I would probably not think twice about this.

edit: There is, of coarse, a fourth option. Buy the bogner and then down the line pick up a syn1 to run into the bog's loop for when I want other amp tones. This is honestly the route I am leaning towards.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  20. marshall2553

marshall2553 Supporting Member

• The loop noise is more hiss than hum and for me it's minor enough that I rarely notice it. Either some 3534s are noisier than others or some people are just more sensitive to it. I'm pretty picky and it doesn't bother me.
    • If you're referring to my earlier post in this thread about having to send mine back, it turned out to just be a tube problem. I had tried swapping out the preamp tubes when I first had issues with the blue/red channels cutting out and it didn't fix it. Apparently I either swapped in another bad tube or didn't actually replace the faulty one, it was late at night and I was getting frustrated :oops:. The dealer was out of stock, so while I was waiting to exchange it I tried another set of preamp tubes and it's been rock solid since.
    • I too like the Ecstasy models in the Axe Fx, if you like those I can't imagine you'd be disappointed in the 3534. They don't sound identical, but it's a different amp with different power tubes than what the models are based on.
    • As far as it limiting you to only one amp flavor, it's more versatile than I had expected. The bright switches and excursion settings are really effective/noticeable and the range of useable gain is pretty wide.
    • I haven't tried the Synergy stuff, but the Bogner definitely looks sexier.

Steve Snider and jamme61 like this.