Bogner Ecstasy Classic vs. Diezel Einstein

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sylvanshine, Jul 26, 2005.

1. sylvanshine

sylvanshine Member

Anybody have experience with both of these? My Bogner has been the standard by which I judge all other amps. You know when you plug into a new amp, and you know immediately that it's got it. That just happened to me with the Einstein so I bought it.

I'm sitting here, A/Bing both and I'm dumbfounded. The Einstein is really making me smile.

I've been down this road with a Bad Cat Hot Cat and fell out of love in 2 days. Is that gonna happen to me with the Einstein?

2. RGN

RGN Member

Where did you find an Einstein in Dallas bro?? The first time I saw a Diezel is when I opened the box from UPS a while back. I like the XTC and own a VH-4. Basically, you are checking out too awesome pieces of gear. I still use my VHT 100CL but the VH-4 is clearly the #1 dog in the house right now! How is the clean channel on that Einstein? Is it the combo or the head?

:dude

3. sylvanshine

sylvanshine Member

The Evil Empire on Central got a Herbert and the Einstein in yesterday. I was there when they uncarted them both. Herbert would have been my first choice. Came back today to try them out and some dude got the Herbert yesterday without playing it. Plugged into the Einstein for grins and was blown away.

Verdict is still out for me. I've got a gig tomorrow night at the Old Crow, so I'll put it through it's paces.

Clean is what sold me on it because that's the one weak spot with my XTC. It's the 100 watt head.

4. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Had a 100 watt Einstein and enjoyed it. Not the greatest amp I have played but sounds good!

5. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Someone pointed out something to me that summed up Diezel amps very well for me ... they kinda get this sterile quality to them when turned up .... it was what I had been hearing too, but he put it into words, and I instantly went "Yup!".

The Bogner, on the other hand, is what I'd call a very organic and juicy sound. I've owned a couple classics, and really like them, but never reached the level of 'love' ...

6. shoe

shoe Member

Funny you should mention this.....I love my Herbert as a low-volume practice amp in my apartment. Once I started gigging with it I was totally disappointment (in the sterility of it).

That said, my OD100 SE which I favor for gigs and rehearsals sounds really thin and weak at low volumes (to my ears), so I guess I get the best of both worlds. The Herbert is still a great amp.....but just as anything else, it isn't great in every application. Sure does record well though (at low volumes no less!)

7. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Yup. The OD-100 overdrive is underwhelming below 2, between 2 and 4 you're going, "Ok now we're talking!" and above 4 (brutally loud), it sounds freakin incredible.

It's funny, you survey 10 people from H-C amps, and they'll all say the Herbert records like crap! LOL.... I would agree that some of the early recordings made with it sounded bad (Tone Merchants clips were actually so good though, I broke my rule and bought a new one!).

8. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

Im a Diezel nut as most of you know. I also love Bogner amps too.

The Bogner is a bit more over the top midrange tone, while the Einstein is a combination of the VH4 and Herbert.
    The Einstein is more like the best Marshall brown tone you could ever have IMHO. But the cleans are sparkling.
    I prefer the brown tone (plexi tone) from the Einstein compared to the Bogner. Both amps have great clean channels.

To sum up, I'd say if you want that new metal tone, great clean tone and an OK plexi tone IMHO, the Classic is awesome. If you want that liquid brown lead tone, great clean tone, and more of a Brown metal tone, then go with the Diezel.

Personally I am a lead player that doesnt do the whole D-Tune thingy to much so the Einstein is the better choice for me.

By the way the Einstein is about $1000 less expensive.

Both are stellar amps.

Gregory

Vigier/Diezel/THD

9. RGN

RGN Member

Let us know how your gig turns out. I was in the same store last weekend and ask them if they were going to become a Diezel dealer. The sales guy said he didn't think so then checked in the computer.. "No, we are not a Diezel dealer". :confused:

I may pickup a Diezel 4X12 to go with my VH-4.

10. sylvanshine

sylvanshine Member

I spent all day yesterday switching back and forth between the two trying to decide. I took my Bogner to the gig. I'm taking the Einstein back.

On another note, I'm thinking about installing a cattle guard on the front of my pedalboard to keep the drunk chicks from falling on it. One girl landed balloon knot side down on my Whammy pedal. Ouch!

11. dfarrar

dfarrar Silver Supporting Member

What did you find that you liked better in the Bogner??

12. sylvanshine

sylvanshine Member

Bogner Pros:

3 distinct channels
    Effects loop volume control on back of amp
    More organic sounding

With my first pro, I realize that a Herbert would be a more fair comparison, but that wasn't available. The effects loop on the Einstein is controled by the channel volume (much like a Shiva) which is all fine and dandy, but I liked the sound of the Einstein with the channel volume at 12:00 and the master at 6:00 to 7:00. That makes the send signal so hot that it drives the effects too hard.

On the Ecstasy, I was able to duplicate the Einstein (to my ears) but moving the Excursion to Loose and bumping the presence up. Einstein made me realize that I run my Ecstasy too dark.

Honestly, if Diezel made that first channel mode switchable, I would have probably kept it and sold an older 101B I use at rehearsal. It was that close a race (again, to me).

13. sylvanshine

sylvanshine Member

Oh, and a big plus for the Einstein was the second master volume. To use as a volume boost- genius. Wish Bogner would do that.

14. RGN

RGN Member

Thanks for the update. The Einstein is an "entry level" Diezel as ridiculous as that sounds. I think you should try to demo a VH-4. It has a amazing effects loop set-up that allows parallel or serial THEN a separate effects loop for each channel. Basically, five effect loops. The four channels can dial in about any tone needed IMO. It is pretty solid.

15. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

:rolleyes: RGN, I and many pro players around the globe would disagree with that statement.
    Where did you get that information from?
    I am just courious if you made that up or if you have hard facts to back this up.

Are you saying that because the price is lower than other models? Does this mean its lower quality? Have you played an Einstein?

Calling Peter Diezel, can you clearify this?

I'm not trying to flame you, but just want some answers.

Thanks

16. Steve Snider

As someone who owned all three versions of the Herbert, a VH4 s and VH4, the Einstein is the most organic and best sounding of the bunch. I have used all three in band situations and the Einstein is no entry level amp.

17. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

18. carltonh

carltonh Member

I thought he meant the Einstein as a "entry level amp" as a tongue in cheek statement, since the cheapest amp in many amp lines is often the "entry level amp."

It is an "entry level amp" in relative features to other Diezels, but not in tone. Even a great Fender champ is hard to beat in tone..

Instead of calling them "entry level amps" call them GAS gateway drugs. :D

19. Steve Snider

Good point and yes at $3k it is the cheapest Diezel available.

20. RGN

RGN Member

Yea, I put that in quotes b/c I had read it somewhere else... An entry level Diezel is like an entry level Ferrari which is why I said it sounds ridiculous calling any Diezel entry level.

No, I have never heard a Einstein although I would really like to... I had never even saw a Diezel in person until I opened the UPS box with my VH-4 in it.. seriously. I wasn't bagging on the Einstein in any way, shape or form. Don't take that the wrong way bro... I am a Diezel fan and think their customer service is just outstanding.