Bogner Ecstasy Tone With Less Compression

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SvenHock, Aug 10, 2008.

1. SvenHock

SvenHock Member

Maybe thats not the exact word but: I have had my Ecstasy for a little over a year and while it is a great sounding amp, is it me or does the bottom end seem to be compressed, loose, etc or is it just me and the "newness" has worn off? If I am "hearing things" whats a good amp that the bottom end is tight, non-fizzy distortion, has a good clean channel and doesnt say Marshall or Mesa on the front?

2. Zootallures

Zootallures Member

From my experience I'd say this:
    Custom Audio Amplifier OD100SE+
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Its not you, I was not impressed with the XTC either, To answer your question the first amp that comes to mind would be a VHT. There is a lot of amps out there and it would all depend on what you like and what kind of music you play and what kind of guitars you play.

4. SvenHock

SvenHock Member

Nice amp there Zoot!! Boy I wish there were places around to try before you buy and even then its still a crap shoot and the "its new" thing. I imagine that one set you back a clip?

Well gibson08, its not that I'm not impressed with the XTC, its a great amp but I noticed this past Wed at rehearsal when we were playing Bodies by Drowning Pool where the limitations of the XTC came out.

We dont normally play that type of music (been there done that) but that tune goes over well at clubs so we decided to add it. I noticed that the bottom end was just too loose and I would prefer and amp that the bottom end did not compress and would stay tight. So guys, keep throwing some suggestions out here.

5. Zootallures

Zootallures Member

Yeah Man
    The OD100SE+ is voiced allot like the XTC, some prefer it and some don't.
    The bottom end of the CAA is not loose at all, it has a 3 Position Whomp switch on the back for no low End, Low End, and shake the Foundation Low End, the choice is yours. I run mine in the Middle position for the Music I play.

6. bartmcartman

bartmcartman Supporting Member

Splawn Quickrod ought to do the trick...

7. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

Hey!!! I know that CAA.......great amp!!!

8. geetarman

geetarman Member

What about the Classic?

9. SvenHock

SvenHock Member

Thats always an option. I have heard of the Ecstasy being modded to accept 6550's. I wonder if that would be the ticket. I would prefer to keep what I have, work with it than buy another amp but then again I am fishing for options.............

10. billm408

billm408 Member

Not much of a mod required... you need to replace a bias resister. I made that switch to my XTC, but don't think that's going to help tighten the bottom end for you if that's the issue, SvenHock The 6550's give you a bigger tonal footprint than the EL34's. Smoother, deeper cleans and a little more open through the blue and red channels, but wider frequncy ranges. I think the XTC is a little compressed by design- I happen to like it, but it's not for everybody. I'm assuming you've messed around with your pre-eq and excursion settings already. And if you roll back some of the gain it'll open up too. Or you might want to try the Shiva. I love my 6L6 head.

11. Lution

Lution Member

Firstly, the Ecstasy is not made for heavier metal sounds, that's the Ubershall's job. If you try to get metal sounds with an Ecstasy naturally you'll want to crank the gain and when you do that the level of compression goes through the roof. When I want to play heavier rock I never put my gain levels past noon on the Red channel, after about 1-2 oclock it just gets too squashed. Also, to keep it tight I run it at full power with the excursion switch on (T)ight, treble at about 1, precence at about 1, mids at 11, bass at about 12:30.

That should help, but if you're thinking you need more gain you should be looking elsewhere like an Ubershall or the Rectumfryers. The Ecstasy just won't do it without a ton of compression, though some guys have had success with an EQ in the loop and the gain lowered.

good luck, mang.

12. SvenHock

SvenHock Member

Actually, I do not use the red channel for any type of higher gain. I use the red channel in plexi mode and boost the front end with my Fulldrive and can get wonderful classic tones.

I use the blue channel exclusively for gainer stuff. Messing with the Ecstasy today in my jam room, it sounds just fine to me. Last night and at Wednesday nights rehearsal, it just seemed tired and anemic and the bassist noticed it as well. I do have it louder here though so I'm betting that may have something to do with it.

13. gtr37

gtr37 Member

If you look at the modular amps Randall or Egnater have a few mods that do that .

The Disturbed 1086 will do drowing pool and umm Disturbed really well its tight ,focused kinda a cross between a recto/hot rod 800 .

The Lynch module, and Ultra XL , plus there is a guy that does some great mods that can get you what you need.

A couple of Egnaters are similar to a Bogner but can be tighter . although if you dont use a ton of gain , they may be too much. They have EG5 which has some Soldanoesque tones .and are working on a new Mesa MK model to do the petrucci ,metallica hi gain

14. waylay00

waylay00 Member

I think the Splawn fits your needs nicely. I'd get the Quick Rod over the Nitro though.

15. geetarman

geetarman Member

All tube amps are prone to bad days for some reason whether it be humidity or whatever. How old are your power tubes? Also in case you didn't know already Bogner can modify your 101B to Classic specs.

16. matte

matte Senior Member

rebias your xtc for 6550s. worked for me in addressing the very same issue you mentioned in your initial post.

17. SvenHock

SvenHock Member

Thanks Matte..................thats it? Rebias and go? No resistor change or?

18. wire 247

wire 247 Member

I would also play around with different phase inverter tubes. Also I think the plexi mode might be part of the problem also....

19. matte

matte Senior Member

happy to help. contact bogner. tell them i sent you and ask about the 6550 mod they did to my xtc. i'm sure they'll take care of you. :)

20. gregc

gregc Member

You'll probably need to change a resistor to get the pot in the required zone to make the adjustment.