Bogner ecstasy ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by theunregistered, Jan 16, 2008.

1. theunregistered

theunregistered Member

:dudeOk guys, first post here. Hi everyone !
    I'm from france so please don't be rude about my english :nono

I'm about to sell my mesa road king 1, cause I don't think it is the real amp FOR ME (just personal choice and decision). So I was thinking about getting a Bogner XTC 101B, but its price is just :eek:
    BUT, a few days ago I saw a "demo" XTC101B head in a store (on their website) for a price that would make my wallet happier...
    Anyway, I have 2 questions :
    - The store is 5 hours far from my home : does the XTC101B worth it ?
    - I've read HORRIBLE things on some forums (including the gear page) about the XTC, lots of users/owners seemed very unsatisfied with it and I started to realize how many "XTC for sale" things were on the internet...So, this 2nd question is about the same as the first one : is the XTC really a great amp ?

Some precisions : I'm looking for a tighter sounding amp in the low end than the Road king, more "liquid" gain, more mids, NO ice/sharp trebles, not fizzy/buzzy/boomy, and for the clean channel : better than the Recto one, but I'm not always playing in clean channel, so...
    I love the sound of steve vai in "die to live", "tender surrender" for example, even if we all know these are not direct bogner direct on the CD...
    Please help me !

2. snoggin

snoggin Member

I got a 101 B about a month ago and its the only thing I am using since. REally very simple with lots of great tones in it to my ears. And if you like to rock out well,,,,,,,AWESOME

3. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Go for it!
    It really is a terrific amp, with the plexi mode and gain boosts it's pretty versatile.

The biggest complaint I hear about the ecstasy is the clean channel.
    However, many agree that the best tones are had by cranking the clean volume and using the gain knob for level rather than the other way around.

The main reason I sold my XTC was it was too big and bulky, I went with combo amps, then to a small alessandro head.

4. theunregistered

theunregistered Member

ok I like these comments better...In fact, even if I can notice when a clean sound is great and when it isn't, I don't use the clean channel enough to think an incredible clean channel is the most important thing I want my amp to have. However, I would be glad if the cleans were better than my road king's...
    Concerning the lead sounds, the complains I have concerning the RK is mainly about the general fizzy/boomy sound it has. In fact, I ended up thinking the lows were loose and incaccurate, the mids were almost non existant, and the highs were fizzy and "cold", plus the lack of harmonic overtones, the non liquid gain and the lack of "life" of the amp. So in conclusion it's not my amp at all...I use to like its sound, but I started to prefer other kinds of sounds, like steve vai older bogner sounds, petrucci boogie mark sounds, slash marshall sounds etc etc. I was wondering if the bogner could have all what I describe the RK was lacking.

5. billm408

billm408 Member

Great amps! More versatility and useable tones than most amps in the market. Can't compare it to a Road Bling, but find that the xtc delivers everything I want. There's been some bashing on the clean channel, but I haven't been disappointed after some tweaking. As an example of some of the flexibility you can get....lately, I've been using the red channel on plexi for cleans (rolling back my vol knob) and my green channel pushed with the boost on for ac/dc type rhythm crunch.

At the very worst, they hold their value well if you decide it's not the amp for you.

Visit this site for more info: http://bognerampforum.informe.com/index.php

6. Lution

Lution Supporting Member

I own one and am constantly amazed at the tones I can get from ALL 3 Channels!!

If you love the Fire Garden/ALS era Vai tones the XTC is the amp to get.

7. SvenHock

SvenHock Member

You have a Mesa and want a Bogner? My goodness man!! Your a step in the right direction. No Mesa will ever touch the Ecstasy. Its one of the most versatile amps on the planet and yes, I own one. Yes, you can get very sweet cleans from the amp as well so do not let that stop you.

No fizziness either. Mesas are Fizz City and you hear guys saying "you can dial a Mesa in". Who wants to spend an hour dialing in an amp? I compared my Ecstasys to some Marshalls I have the other day from 70-82 and they have that fizz the Bogner doesnt. The Ecstasy is worth the drive!!

8. Rayneman

Rayneman Supporting Member

Everyone has their opinions, but I rarely see someone say horrible things about an XTC...it may not be for everyone but I think its pretty hard to say its a horrible amp.

I have a 101A, and while I wouldn't ever call it boomy, fizzy or buzzy, it certainly doesn't do the ultra-low end wall of distortion thing like the Mesa (I guess I don't know too much about the Road King, but I do own a Triple Rectifier).

Liquid Gain = yes indeed, and when you get the amp up in volume, it is capable of some pretty wild heavily distorted tones, just not the super low end of some modern stuff.

I really like the clean tones on my XTC, maybe the 6L6 tubes help in that department, but I've heard a LOT worse.

They are expensive, but really nice. As with any amp, only you can determine if they are worth it, but if you don't like it, I imagine they are pretty easy to sell!

9. loudgtr

loudgtr Member

Very good post. If you could post a link to your clip of the 101A that you did on the Red channel, I'm sure it would help. That is one Rockin' clip. One of the, if not, the best clip of the Red channel IMHO.

Cheers.

10. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

You will love it. Do not hesitate, and make sure that if you make the jump into XTC land, you pick up a Bogner cab as well.

Down the road you wont even notice the extra cash that you spent.

Best amp I have ever played. I had to get rid of it because I could no longer do the 120 watt halfstack thing, but it was amazing while it lasted.

BUY IT!

11. Wolf Static

Wolf Static Member

The Bogner Ecstasy is arguably THE best vintage-voiced, high gain amp out there. Sure there are other amps that rival certain aspects of it, however you will NOT go wrong with the Ecstasy.

As they say in France... c'est tres bien! If you're upgrading from a Road King - you will be extremely satisfied with the results.

Buy it. Don't hesitate. Don't even think about it. Just do it!

12. theunregistered

theunregistered Member

woooooooooowwwww guys ! you all convinced me. :AOK
    I'm going to call the store so they could keep it for me. I think I'll get within a week or so.
    Can't wait, really.
    THANK YOU ALL ! :dude

(PS : I've already download all the clips available in the bogner website, and if someone has any clip to post here : WELCOME)

13. coxswain

coxswain Member

Hello all,

I'm brand new to the forum, however I have been looking arond for a year or so.

Not to complicate your search more but I thought I would add a latest discovery of mine. I recently bought one of the new Egnater Tourmaster heads from my local guitar center. I took it home and was not necessarily happy with the tones I was getting with my boogie 1x12 3/4 cab. I decided to take the head to my local bogner dealer and try it with a few different cabs...

Played it through the bogner 4x12 cab loaded with Vintage 30s. I'm telling you, channels 3 and 4 can lock on pretty damn close to the XTC red channel if you use the right cabs. It sounded huge, woodey, with tons of sustain. Further, the amp produces a nice low mid range sound similer to the Bogner amps. There was an XTC head there as well. I compared the two, and the bogner had a little more squish, and was a little easier to play. The Egnater could get "heavier " because of the added contour knob which enables you to take out some of the mid range (similer to the Mesa Boogie mark series EQ).

Now, before I bought the Egnater I really felt like the Bogner was my dream amp(however I couldn't afford it). But a huge part of what I was really diggin was the sound of the Bogner 4x12. The Egnater has a similer voicing as the Bogner and with the Bogner 4x12, I feel its sounds just about as good as the XTC. The Egnater also had better clean tones (not suprised to hear as the Eggie has 5881 tubes while the Bog has EL34.) With the Eggy you also get the power scaling options which allows one to run the amp at 100 watts, 50 Watts, 25 watts, 20 wats, or 10 watts and they are selectable to channals. So, one could have a 50 watt clean channel for head room, and a 10 watt high gain channal for power tube saturation. Further, the Egnater offers a parralel and series effects lube.

Now, the Egnater is not going to give you the authentic plexi tones like the XTC, but for 1399 new its hard to go wrong.

Chase

14. Lution

Lution Supporting Member

I'm curious about those Tourmaster heads and am looking forward to trying one out, but the thread-starter is from France. These Egnater heads are GC US exclusive amps so it is very unlikely he'll ever find one or get to play through one.

15. coxswain

coxswain Member

Ahhh, I totally forgot that he was from France. My apologies on that.

Chase

16. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I'm working on getting a XTC myself right now. I've been wanting one for a long while but just didn't need that much amp. At the time I was more into single channel NMV vintage voiced and designed amps.

But,

Now I'm getting the itch for some higher gain stuff and might possibly get into a little band project that's more modern than what I usually do. I think the XTC would be perfect for someone who is very into Vintage tones but wants to get into high gain territory with modern features like channel selecting.