Bogner Ectascy 101B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Lance Long, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Lance Long

Lance Long Member

I am interested in the Bogner Ectascy 101B head but haven't had the chance to play through one. I have listened to the sound clips on Bogner's web site, but IMHO, these don't substitute for the opinions of actual "users". If any member has the amp or playing experience with it, what is your opinion on its range of tones, ease of use, etc.? All comments positive and negative will be much appreciated.

2. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

Definitely try using the Search button to search on 101b and then on ecstasy...there are more posts archived here than anyone will document on this thread.

Also try the Bogner user group
    http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bognerusersgroup/

They will also be able to help you out.

Lastly call the Bogner support line listed at www.bogneramplification.com and if your lucky enough to get ahold of GregV he will tell you what you need to know...in an honest manner.

3. carltonh

carltonh Member

Hard to get more variety than what the Ecstacy can do, but compared to Marshalls (and it can sound like many) it tends to be more refined where as the Marshall and many boutique amps currently in fad are more raw. That said, you can still set up the Ecstasy to get pretty raw too.

4. grism

grism Member

The 101b gets knocked around pretty hard on this site, and having owned one I can see why. I owned it for all of a week before deciding that I had made a mistake. The 101b always sounded muffled and I was constantly driving the presence to 10 when dialing in the sounds I was after. After selling the 101b, I don't at all miss the extra features that it had like the dual assignable presence control. I immediately sold it and bought an XTC classic.

IMO if you are after marshallish tones and must have a Bogner, then the XTC classic is a much better amp. The classic is quite a bit more open sounding, has more sizzle and the cleans are much better. It is more raw sounding. I will be keepping the classic for a while, but at the same time am having fantasies about selling it for a Egnater MOD100.

XTCs are great amps with lots of good features, but as has been posted on TGP before (and I didn't want to believe it :p) they are a jack of all trades, master of none. I like all channels on the classic and it really does get an amazing range of tones. Personally, I think the lead tone on the red channel is one of the best I have heard... nice and juicy... If you want a really heavy amp, I think that there are better choices(VHT Ultralead, Diezel VH4 etc), but for classic to hard rock to older style metal, the XTC classic excels. Nary a bad sound to be found in the XTC classic. One of the things that sold me on the XTC was how good it sounds at low volumes; it really does have an excellent master volume control.

Hope that helps.

Michael

5. rbone100

rbone100 Member

6. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

Bogner Xtcy Classic is what the Xtcy "should" have been right from the start!!
    :)

7. grism

grism Member

Yeah, it still amazes me that Bogner would have been satisfied with releasing the 101b. But it does get good reviews at HC (which I no longer really trust) and some people can make the 101b sound better than I ever could. I was never able to crank the 101b but maybe thats when the amp comes more alive.

8. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

The key to getting good tone from an Xtcy is to keep the Master at FULL, then adjust each channel volume as needed. MUCH better tone this way!!!!
    The second thing to do is keep the presence up at least at 3 o'clock... or more!
    keith:)

9. stephen thomas

stephen thomas Member

I have (or still do) owned Soldano SLO, Hot Cat 30R, Rivera Knucklehead, Boogie MK1V, CAE OD100, Two Rock Custom, Fuchs, and Bogner 101B. I use the Bogner most of the time as it suits my needs (and I am not afraid to dial the presence around 3 o'clock). Just my opinion.

10. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

Well I've tried the XTC 100B, 101B, and Classic and I found all of them to be too dark, muffled, loose, dull, unresponsive, and dead for me. Nowhere near enough high end (high-mids & treble frequncies) to cut thru in a band mix IMHO. They are well built amps and offer quite a few features, however they just don't work for me.

YMMV.

11. grism

grism Member

Wizard, what sorts of amps are giving you what you need at the current moment? I'm looking around for a good, heavy marshall-voiced metal (anthrax, older metallica etc) amp for mostly normal tunings but that could also handle lower tunings as well. Current top candidates are voodoo-modified Ampeg VL502/ voodoo-modified JCM800, but leaning towards the Ampeg.

12. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

The Diezel Herbert is my #1 gig amp. It will definitely deliver the heavier tones you seek (Metallica, Anthrax) on the 2nd channel in "+" mode alone. I also have a few Marshalls (some modified, some stock) which pretty much cover all the bases for me. A well modified 800/2203 can be quite fire breather. The Ampeg VL with the right tweaks, can also belt out some nice high gain tones as well.

13. grism

grism Member

Thanks Wizard. I think that the Herbert would be my No. 1 choice as well, but drumming up the coin for that fellow is a completely separate matter! :eek:

And now folks, back to your regularly scheduled Bogner Ecstacy 101b thread.....

14. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

I find it hard to believe that between the EQ, the assignable presence and the Pre EQ with two settings of Brightness that one could not find enough treble or be able to cut through the mix.... also the excursion switch can have alot to do with looseness/tightness.

I know the XTC has alot of control and can be confusing to some.....

I know alot of guitar store salespeople certianly have not mastered how to properly demo this amp for would be purchasers.. I hope you had quality help and did not have the amp misrepresented...at the outset it would seem that might have happened.

:eek:

15. Shawn Lutz

Shawn Lutz Member

I guess I'm one of the few around here who actually love the 101B. It works really well for me and the type of music that I play. The only thing I can say is to find someone who has one and play it, and make up your own mind using your own set of ears :)

I bought mine based on the clips that I heard posted on various boards and I wasn't disappointed when I got it. I got it on eBay and to my ears it sounds better in person through a 4x12 than the clips, your ears may hear something different.

16. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

I think the 101B and the classic are wonderful amps! I don't own them anymore because I just don't need that much power, size, etc. BUT for years I gigged with an early 101B that I bought direct from bogner (1994) and it was fantastic. I used that and a couple 1x12 cabs and a little nanoverb. That rig and a strat was heaven tonally. It had stock german power tubes back then. I used it in a funk/r&b/blues band, using the clean and blue channels, and also did a classic rock cover band using lots of the blue channel and some red channel, with ocassional cleans too. The amp is really a gigging amp, it sounds dark at low volumes, but breathes fire through some celestions at band levels. The blue channel with the brite switch on and turned up doesn't sound muffled, just smooth. It needs a little volume, presence at about noon.

17. guitarcmf

guitarcmf Member

I love my 101B
    Something about the Blue channel thats just perfect for me.
    ANd the red channel is a close 2nd.
    Still my fave of all time even though its had some stiff competion from Hotcats,a couple of 2 rocks and Alessandros.
    Larry

18. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

The 101b is one of if not the best channel switchers out there (IMO). I really like the way it sits in the mix. I think the louder its playedthe better it sounds:D

19. yotamusic

yotamusic Member

I love my 101B as well.killer amp
    :dude

20. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

It never gets lost in the mix. I constantly have other players telling me my tone is warm. I play early metal as well as newer stuff, and I no longer have any desire to try other amps.