Bogner Goldfinger 45 Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gas Hed, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Gas Hed

Gas Hed Member

I'm being sucked in by YouTube on the Bogner Goldfinger 45. Closest dealer to me is over 3 hours away. Not sure I want to make the drive out to check these things out unless someone here convinces me. I'm wondering if I can get one from Sweetwater and if no likey, send it back for refund.

Right now I'm playing through a 65 Amps London Pro which is nice, but I have to use an EQ pedal to get the tone I want (no middle control on the London Pro). Goldfinger seems right on according to our good friends on the Tube. Wondering what you all think? ​

2. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

I just tested one out at my local GC.
    Sweet amp.
    Best clean channel ever, sounds so full, alive, sustains, and can be made to have some breakup if you prefer. Great great clean channel.
    69 mode is an awesome dirty channel that gets old school Marshally crunch tones.
    80 has a bunch more gain.
    Then there are all the options for output power and boosts.
    Pretty versatile amp with some mojo going on.

All that being said, if I were serious about buying one, I'd probably grab one used and flip it if I didn't like it or do like you mentioned and buy from a store that accepts returns. I'd only drive 3 hours if I was positively making a purchase. But that's me.

3. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

There is alot of love for these here. I tested one and as stated above the best cleans I have heard......they should bottle this and sell it alone......... wasnt impressed with the dirty channel.

4. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

Buy Velcro Fly's in the emporium. Freeking great amp. You can sell if you don't like it. I can get great tones out of both channels and both modes on the lead channel. This is a bargain amp for the tones and features.

5. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Listen to Snider!!

BTW....The Goldfinger clean is "all that". And after I took Snider's advice and put a Mullard in V1.....I simply LOVE this amp. I've played a Dumble 50 Watt last week (Sfarnell's), as well as Two Rock Type 3, Custom Clean, TS, Custom Reverb Sig, and I'll I can say is that I don't have "envy" at all.

Unfortunately, some guys have picked up a Goldfinger and not taken the time to learn the amp, especially how to integrate the Omega Channel with not only the Boost, but FX Boost to get multiple Gain Stages and balanced levels. And it takes pedal supremely.

The amp kills, and for $1800 in the Emporium....you can't go wrong. However....match the head with a Bogner Goldfinger cab or a cab that has the Celestion G12M paired with a Celestion G12H30. It makes ALL the difference in the world IMO.

6. Keld

Keld Member

Had a similar reaction. Tested one out two or three times and just couldn't quite get what I wanted out of the dirty channel. Nice amps for sure though...

7. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

I want it! Just sent Velcro a PM. Hope it is still available.

8. jilaw50

jilaw50 Member

I tried the Goldfinger at the Nashville GC (they don't stock Bogners in SW FL for some reason) last summer and A/B'd it with the Bogner Shiva EL34. I can't remember exactly why now, but I ended up buying the Shiva. Very happy with the Shiva. Try it before you buy it.

Here is a sample of me using the Shiva at a gig:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK6m...xt=C38e0c8fUDOEgsToPDskKrbQU1OPQLeU6orcdXZ2-E

and another:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya7IBUCpGGk&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

'03 Gibson ES-345 RI
    ’08 Gibson Les Paul R-7 Historic Series 1957 RI VOS Gold Top
    ’96 Schecter California Custom Hellcat
    ’10 Squier Classic Vibe 60’s Stratocaster (Fender CS ’69 /Candy Apple Red)
    ’10 Squier Telecaster w/Bigsby (Fender CS Texas Specials/Candy Apple Red)
    ’09 Squier Stratocaster HSS Standard (Pearly Gates HB/SSL-1/SSL-1/Silver Sparkle)
    ’02 Squier Bullet HHH (S. Duncan: Little ‘59/Duckbucker/JB Jr. /LockingTuners)
    ’10 Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar HH (Fiesta Red)
    Breedlove AD25/SR Plus Acoustic

Yamaha S90XS Keyboard

Amps: Bogner Shiva 80W. EL34 w/Rvb + Peavey VK 412; Egnater Renegade 65W. + Ampeg 4x12; Fender Blues Deluxe RI; Fender 40th Anniversary ’65 Twin Reverb RI; Peavey Delta Blues 115; Roland Cube-60; Roland KC-150; Marshall AS-50R

9. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

My favorite Bogner. Loved the clean..... just couldn't get along with the gain side as much. Not that it's bad just not what I was looking for.

10. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

Great amp clean channel takes pedals well and amp has survived over a hundred dates on the road no problems

11. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

There is a LONG thread elsewhere on the GF but I can tell you it has taken a lot of GAS out of my engine.....

Plexi flavored; lucious jangly cleans and a dirty channel with tons of options. Reverb in and out' multiple boosts; and the thick/thin gain control on channel 2 is REALLY slick. Different that a SHiva- more plexi/jangly. 4 power options; and the mode switch on channel 2 can introduce a whole new level of gain.

My ONLY complaint is that Channel 2 compresses a little too much even when clean; but I still might be able to dial that out. Channel 2 goes from plexi clean to Chieftain clean using the thin/thick gain contol and I sure don't know of any other amp that does that.

If you're looking fora plexi flavor, you really can't go wrong.

12. circusinthesky

circusinthesky Member

Yes. It'd be nice to find a tube combination that minimizes that compression.