Bogner Goldfinger 54 Phi

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 73171, Apr 12, 2016.

1. 73171

73171 Member

Anyone try one yet?

2. wodka

wodka Member

The demos sound fantastic. Bogner's always sound good.

3. Sunil

Sunil Gold Supporting Member

Bump. Would love to especially hear from people who've played both the 54 and the 45 and how they compare. The relatively simpler layout of the 54 looks very appealing.

4. TimH

TimH Member

5. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin Member

They are in the UK now too, am very interested but very expensive here !

jackio likes this.
  6. mangoman

mangoman Silver Supporting Member

went by my local spot here in the twin cities and they had one. theres a ton going on in this amp. i plugged in for a bit at a lower volume setting and started fiddling with the reverb. The reverb isn't super splashy but definitely 3 dimensional and useable. I liked it. Not for surf stuff, but its probably not what they intended. It was a combo, so I only used whatever power tubes they had running....which I couldn't tell what it was. that said, the two tone stacks are cool. The BAX eq does do a major noticeable drop when engaged. Once you re dialed your knobs, it was really nice. everything else seemed really intuitive. Combo is heavy. Only thing i am not crazy about is the black plastic switches.

to get an idea of the tones coming from this thing, i immediately plugged into a Marshall 1974X 1x12 right next to it. Definitely had more midrange goodness vs the Phi. I am sure if I cranked the gain and fiddled with the knobs more, I could get in the ball park. Went to the DRRI, and a vintage 1968 one, definitely a bit more glassy tones that one would expect from those amps. Not sure if this is intended to get convincing Blackfaced tones. Definitely more clean tone character than the Dr Z Remedy (great amp).

Id like to get this alone for an hour, and be really loud and try all the tube combos....Im really interested in this amp. Do i need another amp, probably not, but Im always looking for an american flavored amp. What piques my interest (and I am sure its what everyone else is excited about) is the incredible flexibility this amp offers. Im oscillating between getting a vintage sound 22SC, but then this shows up.....now, after playing around with that, the Phi and thinking about a Tone King Imperial....well, if the Tone King new is on the list, Id have to give the nod to the Phi for the same price.

By the way, the guys at the shop said this thing just inhales pedals. They view it as a clean platform for pedals with all the flexibility one would need.

If this amp can do Blackface and Tweed tones by switching the tubes, and still easily get that british-esque crunch, Im all in. This with my Matchless would be pretty perfect I think. <edit>....the weight of this thing might be a deal breaker for a few folks. I know it has me balking....

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  7. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin Member

I think you are right, the Phi seems like Bogner's replacement for the Barcelona with a lot more features. immense flexibility in power scaling, mix and match tubes, great small size, If and when my amp GAS returns I will certainly pick one of these up.

The perfect pedal platform.

8. bluefish

bluefish Supporting Member

Bump for any other experiences with this amp?

9. Rockerverber50

Rockerverber50 Member

Another bump. Any more feedback on this amp?

10. robyogi

robyogi Silver Supporting Member

Anyone play one or own one? Seems interesting as a flexible single channel amp.

11. 6string Mc Slim

6string Mc Slim Member

I am the proud owner of 54 Phi. While I'm just a bedroom player (albeit a loud one), here are my observations. It is an awesome sounding clean to slightly dirty amp. Unlike Fenders, the volume control pot is almost reverse tapered (the last half of volume travel yields the largest volume increase) which is nice for dialing in house friendly volumes. Same with the gain knob, it's not until the later part of it's travel that it makes a difference. There is not a lot of gain in this amp but that's the way it was designed. It is great with pedals, it loves everything from boost to fuzz. The adjustable boost is my favorite feature. Combined with a medium gain overdrive (Pettyjohn Pettydrive), it gives you that punchy distortion that sings but doesn't get fizzy. It's hard to describe but it gives a dirty clean tone with a lot of punch and sustain but it has a ton of clarity. Kind of a Duane tone...clean and dirty all at the same time which is the tone I've been chasing for a long time. A tone I can't seem to get out of my Marshall style amps (Suhr SL 67 or 68) like Duane played. I'm not a big fan of the solo boost...it adds way too much bass for my liking. Although this does come in handy for very low volume playing...it adds some girth back to the sound. Like a "loudness" button on a home audio amp. I don't spend a lot of time with the BAX eq, I'm getting the tones I love with the regular EQ. The mute switches for the tubes are great. It's awesome to have an amp with 6v6, 6l6 or both type tones. I have not used the direct out. The reverb is great, nice and mild. I'm not one for drenching my tone in reverb so it's more than enough for me. It does have a little vibrato pulse to it which adds a nice dimension. It's a great amp for home playing, has plenty of volume for a gig, loves pedals and has a very flexible feature set. It's definitely a keeper and my most played and loved amp!

JFGrn, la noise and Stephen Pettyjohn like this.
  12. northfortyrecords

northfortyrecords Supporting Member

I've tried the Duende (awesome!) and the Goldfinger 45. I can dial the 45 in to be a 4 channel monster that lives in the Plexi/JCM 800 world of rock.

Unfortunately, as much fun as it is to play those tones, I've always lived in the Fender leaning world and Marshall tones don't always work for the types of bands I play in.

The Duende, conversely, really leans far enough Fender side for my tastes. I've been eyeing that darn Phi with its 6L6 / 6v6 capabilities.... Wonder if it's still pure Marshall or....