Bogner Goldfinger- It's that good

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wedewer, Mar 3, 2012.

1. wedewer

wedewer Supporting Member

Yes it's really that good. The cleans, the plexi tones and the hot rodded marshall. They are all there. Do yourself a favor and go try one. We can talk about it till we are blue in the face, but you have to hear it.

2. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

Why did they discontinue the 45 watt combo?

3. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Supporting Member

I was not aware that the combo had been discontinued.

That's not good.

4. wedewer

I actually got mine in combo form, in a TGP deal, but just turned it into a head last week. Ordered an empty headshell from Bogner and sold the combo cab in the emporium. The problems I see with the combo are this. First speaker. Its a V30 and to me, not a good speaker for this amp at all. I am sure that choice was made for wattage purposes because Bogner uses a greenback and G12H in the 212 cabinets. The other problem I see is that the Goldfinger as a lot of controls and options that are on the back of the head. 1/2 power switch, and the level controls for boost/loops. On the combo version they are facing down, so kind of a pain the ass to get at.
    My guess is that they just weren't seeing any demand for the combo version.

If you play in a rock cover band, this amp is basically a swiss army knife for that. You can do any classic rock in the plexi setting. In the 80's mode you can do 80's hair band stuff easily.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  5. Zero G

Zero G Member

Swiss army knife. :)

6. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Drop a Mullard in V1......and then you'll really have fun!

7. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

GREAT AMP!!!! Can hang with anything if you let it!

8. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Supporting Member

It's a great amp. I love mine. I think it sucks that they dropped the combo.

9. jimbo13

jimbo13 Member

I just picked one up also. I need more time with it but it really does sound good so far. The boost feature (pre/post) really work great.

10. toneboy

toneboy Member

the bogner brixton is voiced very much like the OD of the goldfinger.
    it also has the half power switch that gives it great sag.

11. flcmcya

flcmcya Silver Supporting Member

Great news TB...I don't need to trade up...If I need the extra knobs I'll just drive to Woodbury and take Robs.....:mob

12. dysorexia

dysorexia Senior Member

I'd like to try it out. Sad the combo got discontinued.

13. EdM

EdM Member

Agreed. This is the amp I've been looking for. It's been a long journey. I have several amps for sale now. I have the GF 45 head.

14. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

Couple of things:

1. I have the combo; I am quite sure that if I was a real gigging musician that I would have a head and 2 x 12 cab. But just for jams, I'm good with the combo.

2. Any confirmation from Bogner that the combo is now discountinued?

3. Cannot argue with wedewer's point about the benefits of a head/ cab set up. A lot of the controls are kind of hard to get at in the combo. Not the primary controls, just some of the lesser used ones. I have pretty much committed to leaving those controls set where they are.

4. Now, riddle me this. I'm looking for a 50 watt (or so) 1 x 12 combo that does plexi. Reverb would be nice as would a second channel. I don't think Germino does a 1 x12 combo anymore, Reinhardt is building cars, I don't know if the Divided by 13 EDT has enough headroom; other than the GF combo, what should I be looking at? And again, I'll sacrifice for what I perceive as the ease and portability of a combo.

5. Still loving the GF. I still often use just the dirty channel at jams and its a tad bit too compressed even when its clean; so I mess around at home with the clean channel and pedals. Man, that clean channel has got it going on......

15. MichaelSaulnier

MichaelSaulnier Member

Top Hat?

M

16. RSRD

RSRD Member

Do you GF owners find that the gain lacks compared to the shiva? I really dont need yet ANOTHER bogner amp...but then...maybe I do!

17. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

I don't own the GF, but did have the Shiva and have played the GF. Different takes on about the same amount of gain. Neither will do metal, but cover everything below that ok. The GF is a bit more classic sounding, the Shiva somewhat more modern.

18. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

I owned both (6L6 Shiva) and a Goldfinger. The Goldfinger stayed. Way more flexible....can cover Shiva tones and then some. And the Cleans are simply better IMO. The only thing I miss about the Shiva is that in Combo Form...it was a GREAT amp. The Goldfinger Combo was a dud....but it had to do with the Speaker configuration IMO.

19. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>If you play in a rock cover band, this amp is basically a switch army knife for that.<<

OK, the Swiss Army knives with the forks, spoons, cork removers, saws, and can openers and stuff, those I get...

http://www.swissarmy.com/us/app/content/swissarmy/category/1

but the Switch Army Knife...just guessing...for sex change operations while on a picnic?

Can't find a link to one of those.... ;)

20. wedewer

Ok, Ok, after the second joke at my expense, I edited my original post. That's what I get for posting from my Iphone. Its amazing I didn't have 57 other type-o's in there.

I had an El34 shiva. It was a good amp, but a little on the dark side for me. It was Marshall sounding, but not as plexi based, as the Goldfinger in my opinion. Maybe other's disagree, but I think the Loud 69 does a very convincing plexi sound. I can get anywhere from AC/DC , If you want blood, up to 70's JMP sounds. That voice is very open and crisp sounding. I do not agree at all with the earlier post about the amp being compressed. It gets compressed in the 80's mode, but that's what 80's tone was to me. Compressed, hot rodded Marshall. I really stayed in the loud 69' mode the first couple months I had this amp. Since I got it out of the combo and into a headshell and ran it into my Germino 412, I have been loving the 80's mode. There aren't too many amps out there that can do both a pretty concvincing plexi and a convincing 80's hot rodded Marshall. They always fall short on 1 or ended up failing on both in attempt to achieve it.
    And when it comes to the cleans, there isn't a single complaint.