Bogner Goldfinger vs. Carol Ann OD2r

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wolfvk, Feb 27, 2012.

1. wolfvk

wolfvk Member

Which one wins? They both seem to be going for similar tones. Which one does it better?

2. wolfvk

wolfvk Member

3. ptgold

ptgold Member

I didnt realize they had anything in common

Ive been trying to find info on what type of OD the Goldfinger has but to no avail. Since youre comparing it to an OD2r im guessing its a dumble inspired tone instead of marshall?

4. DV52

DV52 Member

Why would you say a n OD2r would be in the d camp ?

5. wolfvk

wolfvk Member

I wonder, too. I think that the OD2r leans that way, but is more hot rodded Marshall whereas the Goldfinger seems to be more standard plexi. I was really just wondering for people who have played them both which one they thought was overall a better amp.

6. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

All I know is that the Clean (Alpha) side of the Goldfinger is SPECTACULAR. It's full, beautiful, round and clear. Yes...I love the Omega side too.... especially being able to configure the FX Boost as a second Gain Stage.

The only other clean channel I've heard that I think is equal of the Goldfinger's is the Two Rock TS-1...and that's at more than twice as much money.

7. fatbagg

fatbagg Member

Very different. Im a fan of both builders, and they both have amps I love. For me, when I think bogner, I think XTC! The goldfinger sounds like Bogner (that signature cool tone!). Much more high mid based and sharper to me (not saying harsh or brittle, its a unique brightness!) I hate bnright amps, but the goldfinger rocks! To me its the perfect Bogner/marshall blend, very cool. Has a much more compressed tone that the Carol Ann.

The OD2 is one of my all time favorites. VERY balanced amp, and has this perfect signature midrange vocalness going on to it. It, to me, would cover more area efficiently, and you can do so much with it, and sound like yourself. Not as high gain as the goldfinger, but to me a bit more fun to play. Much more open, it breathes!

They are both great. I left without buying the goldfinger, because my OD2 was already at home, and remains #1!

And p.s., the Carol ann has what I think is the best clean channel out there for what I do!

8. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Updating this thread now that I have both a Goldfinger and an OD2-R. I've got to give the nod to the OD2-R on cleans. On the dirt side.....the Gain is more evolved (if that makes sense). The Goldfinger has more of the classic Marshall vibe....where Alan's amp is fuller, thumpier (bottom end goodness), with great string to string clarity and top end definition.

The Goldfinger has more features with the FX loops, Boost and EQ structure, but for simplicity, the CA2-R does a better job IMO. I'm using the Bad Cat Unleash with it, so I can get an FX Loop and a Boosted Lead...and a Direct Out....so even at just 18 watts (6V6's), being able to control stage volume, yet get beautifully clean & cranked tones, and use the direct out of the Unleash to feed the FOH...there's NO downside.