Bogner Harlow or ARC Klone V2 as an "always on"?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by spanishcastlemagi, Dec 8, 2016.

1. spanishcastlemagi

spanishcastlemagi Supporting Member

I already know they are completely different circuits designed to do different things, but as far as using one or the other as an always on sweetener/booster...Which would you recommend and why...?

I have an ARC Klone V2 that I love as an always on for a "mild boost/sweetener" pedal near the front of my chain. Most of you guys who already like the Klon style circuit for this kind of thing, already know what I mean...

BUT... I am really, really impressed by ALL the clips I've seen and heard of the boosting/sweetening qualities of the Bogner Harlow Boost as an always on pedal. The appeal being that it is also apparently a very useful and great sounding one knob compressor which can be "blended in" with the boost via the "bloom" knob.

I used to use an old MIJ Boss CS-2 (with the level control cranked up) near the front of my chain as an always on tone enhancer, until I replaced it with the ARC Klone to serve the same purpose. I doubt I'll ever sell the ARC Klone cause it just sounds so great... no desire to even look at any other Klon type pedal.

I realize in the end, I'll probably just have to pick up a Harlow and compare it with the Arc Klone head-to-head. Like I said I know they're very different and not apples to apples, but I'd be using them for the same purpose...

Does anyone out there that owns/uses a Harlow for the same general purpose have any input on what it does for your tone?

Thanks...

2. spanishcastlemagi

Any harlow owners out there?

3. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

Nope... But I have the arc and it's always on.. Love it!!

4. Haunting Mids

Haunting Mids Member

Harlow user here !
    I've had one for about a year and I'm still blown away by this pedal.
    I'm not that much of a compressor guy, to say the least.
    Mainly because it kills my attack and dynamics, also makes me sit too far back in a mix.
    The Harlow is not just a compressor.
    It's a booster, tone shaper and... compressor.
    You can use it last in chain, no problem.
    It will beef up your sound, wether you're using single-coils or humbuckers.
    Yes, even humbuckers like his company, which means a lot.
    What I like the most is the combination of boost and compression.
    The boost in higher position than the "bloom", will create a saturation that looms up when you strum harder.
    It never sounds congested, doesn't "sterilize" the overdrive you place next to it.
    I use it first in chain but it works perfectly in the last position.
    I also have the Burnley distortion and the Wessex OD (all Bubinga finish).
    All items from these Neve series are top-notch.
    Play your Harlow at band volume and you'll never come back.
    Yes it can nail the Frusciante sound in spades.
    But it's not limited to that sound.
    The single EQ knob is efficient : it's both a tonality and a stress on certain frequencies for you to choose where the compression should be prominent.
    Killer pedal for sure.

Dannyz, 382, Caprica and 1 other person like this.
  5. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

Can see using the Wessex for this in the neutral,natural? switch position to add some girth, boost and bass and treble adjustment without the possibility of having charge pump problems with other pedals. There are several YT video's of Gregs Guitars using a Wessex with a Strat and 335........in the 335 video particularly he turns it on and off several times and you can really hear the difference between the two. When he turns it off the 335 sounds thin and flat compared to when it's on. Type in Bogner Wessex Gregs Guitars in the YT search and take a listen.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  6. NBlair930

NBlair930 Silver Supporting Member

I too have really been enjoying all of the Bogner Neve Xformer line, including the HARLOW. I run it first in line and always leave it on. Adds wonderful sweetness with Bloom mid way up and Level/Boost down towards the lower end of the range. I do find that the sweep on the Level/Boost is very dramatic and the point at which the boost hits, it can go from a big boost to a really BIG boost hitting the front end of your amp hard and getting some serious grind.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    Haunting Mids likes this.
  7. Chris63

Chris63 Member

I love Bogner gear but did not bond with the Harlow, I tried hard for 12 months.

8. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

I own both a Harlow and an ARC Klone. Both are fantastic. I generally run the Harlow more as a gentle compressor with a little boost, early in the chain. I put my Klone after other drive pedals, as a general tone shaper, again with a little boost happening. Honestly, there is no reason not to have both, as they do slightly different things that are equally great.

Pointy Headstock likes this.
  9. spanishcastlemagi

Excellent input from all. Thanks for your input gentlemen. Looks like I just missed a Harlow in the emporium for $140 shipped... maybe I'll wait and pick one up. like I said in the original post, all the clips I've seen are seriously impressive.
    Chris63, if you don't mind, could you elaborate on why you didnt bond with the Harlow... why it wasn't a keeper for you?

10. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

I use a Harlow in a similar fashion as Gearscrubs (with humbucker loaded guitars)- first in chain with slight boost to add some extra "harmonic stuff", slight compression to add a little punch, and slight eq to the treble side to knock mud out of the low end.

EDIT- OP, I picked up the Bubunga version for $130 new off of the GC website a year or so ago. Not sure if that was a sanctioned deal from Bogner or a data entry mistake, but bear that in mind in your search.

11. LeGar

LeGar Supporting Member

Not to rub it in--I just bought that one :hide2. I came to this thread because I bought it for the same reason you're asking about. My plan is to use it first in line as a preamp/toneshaper. I should have it sometime tomorrow.

12. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

I got the bubinga Harlow from the sdotd for like $130. Great sounding pedal.

I've used it as an always on compressor for lots of recordings.

13. spanishcastlemagi

Hey LeGar,
    please report back when you've had some time to check it out and see how you like it.

14. LeGar

LeGar Supporting Member

For sure!!

15. spanishcastlemagi

16. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

This thread caused me to plug my harlow back in.

Damn. Sounds awesome. It's punchy and loud. It does a lot to the signal. Kind of makes the diamond comp sound dull in comparison.

Haunting Mids and gearscrubs like this.
  17. LeGar

LeGar Supporting Member

I'm really liking the Harlow so far. It has a really nice liveliness that make playing it a pleasure. The compressor is very natural and has an, almost, distortion-like characteristic; I'm not saying it sounds like a distortion, but the feel is similar. I'm surprised at how musical it is through the entire range of the knob. The tilt EQ is also invaluable; it's nice to have just that little bit of extra shaping on the pedalboard. I think the frequencies are perfect for adding fullness or sparkle (depending on the setting).

My only complaints about the pedal are the amount of volume on tap and the footswitch. I feel the amount of output could be reduced, since unity is somewhere around 8:30-9:00 on the volume knob. And the switch is terrible, it takes a lot of force to activate the pedal; apparently this is common for all of the Neve/Bogner pedals

18. spanishcastlemagi

Thanks for reporting back in LeGar...I want one.

LeGar likes this.
  19. Nevil Bamshoot

Nevil Bamshoot Member

i have a setup that splits between a clean & OD/dist signal path before looping back in for modulation and delay/reverb. when I'm using the clean side, I have the Harlow always on. it's a pretty powerful pedal, but if you can dial it in well for your rig, it's as good of an 'always-on' boost as I've ever found. but it's not super-transparent, it adds a sort of harmonic, sustainy thickness to your sound. if you like that, this pedal is for you. but I've found it difficult to stack with overdrives, etc, it just fuzzes things out too much, and can get really, really loud. that's great for my clean signal, as it makes it easy to have unity gain between the clean & OD boards. I love the thing, it essentially is my clean sound. I have never used the Arc. I used an Archer for a while, in the Klone family of things, but only found a couple of applications for it where I really liked how it sounded. as an always-on thing, it's just too trebly for me. I like low-mids, and the Harlow can kick out a steady stream of low-mids. I've also used a Retrosonic Preamp (Boss FA-1 clone) as an 'always-on' clean boost, and it's great, but it can't do what the Harlow does.

Dannyz likes this.
  20. tubekingsley

tubekingsley Member

I think the Harlow works well AFTER most fuzz or OD/Dist, as long as it's set just above unity volume, with compression set fairly low. After I initially experimented, by running it into drive pedals, I never felt compelled to try it again.

LeGar likes this.