Bogner Harlow: what type of compression circuit?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gearscrubs, Mar 6, 2015.

1. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

I'm fairly enamored with the clips I've heard of the Bogner Harlow Boost/Bloom. Shnobel's videos, in particular, seem to highlight how big and round it can sound, even when compared with heavyweight compressors like the Cali76, Ego, etc. Does anyone know what type of compression circuit the Harlow employs (FET, opto, etc.), similarity of the circuit to other compressor pedals, etc.? Anyone have one and care to post a gut shot? Obviously, the transformer is imparting some saturation, which may account for some of the difference, but I just wondered if anyone has looked at the circuit in detail.

I already have a Diamond Comp, and it's great, but I'm wondering how different this will be in-hand.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Bump...any info about the Harlow?

3. midwayfair

midwayfair Member

If someone can post a gut shot, I could take a guess, but based soley on sound I'm going to say it's either optical or something with a long attack made to sound like optical. But there are too many ways to make compression to take a guess based solely on sound.

The "bloom" control increases the gain (note it gets louder when turned up), so it's probably a relatively simple circuit.

4. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin Member

I would wait for the Lyndhurst if you want a true compressor, which Bogner has described the Lyndhurst as a studio grade compressor. To me the Harlow is a boost first and compressor second.

5. Denver Blues

Denver Blues Supporting Member

Any word on a release date for the Lyndhurst and La Grange?

6. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

I like the Harlow and use it for light compression and sometimes some gentle tone shaping. Mainly as an on-all the time effect to simulate more of a turned up amp feel at lower volumes and subtle evening out of dynamics for single coils.

I have an Empress Compressor which is tops all around for compression and a Boss CS-2 which is pure butter for playing solos before an overdrive. The Harlow is between them in sound and feel.

For a "studio" compressor, I'm surprised the Lyndhurst doesn't have any metering. I'm looking forward La Grange coming out...sometime before I die!