• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Bogner Helios 100 and StoneAge 4x12 - Speaker Recommendations

RAR

Hey guys,

I have a StoneAge 4x12 loaded with V30's and G12T-75's in an X pattern... just like an UberCab. I'll pick up my Helios in August and I want to get my 4x12 setup with the right speakers for the Helios.

My thought was to order 2 Celestion G12M 25 watt greenbacks and place them on top with the V30s on the bottom just like the Helios and Friedman Cabs... plus Bogner voiced the amp for this speaker config. However, I'm wondering if I should be considering an alternative to the G12M like Scumback M75s or something else.

I have a Roccaforte 2x12 open back cab, built in 2001 by Kerry Wright. It has Scumback M75/H75 65 watt speakers and I actually prefer it to the 4x12 at the moment... due mainly to the speakers. Obviously it doesn't handle the low end as well, but overall it's better sounding than the StoneAge with current speakers and Roccaforte HG head. I think the G12T-75's are too harsh in this cab, for what I like to play.

Should I just go for the Helios Cab speaker configuration or Scumbacks or...?

Last edited:

Dave_C

I just went through a massive speaker/cab swap-and-compare in my 4x12 and a 2x12 and the Scumback M75-PVC 20 watters nailed it for me.

Last edited:

Geeze

+3 on Scumbacks. They're even on sale! Jim is great at helping with speaker model selection for specific tone / sound.

Russ

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
+4 on the scummies.... M75's or M75 pvc's are the ticket...

JES1680

Silver Supporting Member
I just picked up a Helios 50 and am running through a Marshall 4x12 loaded with 2 M75 scumbacks and 2 heritage greenbacks. Sounds Awesome!
I may pickup a couple V30s to try as that seems to be what people are running with these types of amps, but I've never been a big fan of them and would be afraid I'd loose some of the vintageness to the sound that I have now. By the way the cleans on the plexi input with the gain down are amazing on this thing.

RAR

Thanks, guys! The 4x12 Bogner CAB I demoed the Helios with had 4 v30's in it, and it sounded fantastic. So I would imagine the Helios Cab speaker config would sound even better. Lots of Scumback recommendations (I love them too), but just wondering if in this case, the G12M/V30 mix is the best?

Anyone here actually tried the Helios cab or speaker combo with the Helios?

Bogner

The Friedman cab with the Helios is glorious. The Friedman cab is identical to the Bogner Helios cab build wise sans the batting. Each ear likes what it likes but to me it sounds fantastic. You could go with pretty much any of the suggestions in this thread and they will all sound good. You just need to know what it is you are hoping for. I, myself, would go with your original idea for my personal tastes.

RAR

Yeah... I played the BE100 on a 4x12 Friedman cab last weekend and it was fantastic. Honestly, what I'm after is the optimal speaker configuration for the Helios... I don't want to miss anything.

For the folks recommending Scumbacks, are you saying all scummies or 2 Scumbacks on top and V30's on bottom?

BrentSP

Silver Supporting Member
I own a Bogner cab with the GB on top and V30s on bottome. Best mix IMO. I also own a Helios OS212 cab with V30 and Creamback 65....again great sounding 212. My Helios 100 comes in this week.

Braciola

Gold Supporting Member
I had a Helious.
My StoneAge cab with (2) vintage 30's on the bottom & (2) Geenbacks on the top sounded best with the way this amp is voiced over my StoneAge 2X12 with (1) Vintage 30 & (1) G12H30 Anniversary or my StoneAge 4X12 with (2) Scumback M75 65 watt & (2) Scumback H75 65watt.
Go figure :dunno

BrentSP

Silver Supporting Member
I had a Helious.
My StoneAge cab with (2) vintage 30's on the bottom & (2) Geenbacks on the top sounded best with the way this amp is voiced over my StoneAge 2X12 with (1) Vintage 30 & (1) G12H30 Anniversary or my StoneAge 4X12 with (2) Scumback M75 65 watt & (2) Scumback H75 65watt.

For whatever reason I have never been able to vibe with G12H30s. I've owned many cabs with them and a Budda SD30 212 with them....IDK just thin and loose bottom end to my ears.

Braciola

Gold Supporting Member
For whatever reason I have never been able to vibe with G12H30s.
I agree.
I don't care for them at all by themselves....... too brash in the high end.
However mix it with a vintage 30 and it's a match made in heaven.

RAR

I had a Helious.
Awesome! Thanks, Braciola!

BrentSP... I look forward to your review!

Dave_C

For whatever reason I have never been able to vibe with G12H30s. I've owned many cabs with them and a Budda SD30 212 with them....IDK just thin and loose bottom end to my ears.
Me too. I have always found them too thin in the mids and too harsh and fizzy in the highs, even when paired with V30s. Would much rather have a full set of Scumback M75s (PVCs or regular).

BrentSP

Silver Supporting Member
Awesome! Thanks, Braciola!

BrentSP... I look forward to your review!
Me too. I have always found them too thin in the mids and too harsh and fizzy in the highs, even when paired with V30s. Would much rather have a full set of Scumback M75s (PVCs or regular).
I'm kinda hoping I don't like it :D

Its a lot of money for a single channel amp and I'll just either flip it or return it within the 30 days (sweetwater) I don't really need it as my 101B and GF45 is covering me just fine but I have a Helois cab and I hear her crying at night whimpering for her daddy Helios 100 :D

Last edited:

RAR

Well, if you haven't tried the Helios yet, there is always that possibility you won't like it... especially with the amps you already have.

The dealer I purchased mine from ordered the amp just prior to price increase and he honored the old price. Even with tax I payed slightly less than I would have with Sweetwater, plus I got to play the amp for a good while and know exactly what I'm getting.

I also played the KT88 Shiva 20th again after 5 years since first trying it. I loved it back in 2010 and have been itching to try again, but the Helios won out for me. I also demoed the new spec 2015 EH3, CA Trip-R, Friedman JJ, and BE100.

The BE100 and Helios were the winners for me... I could not pass up the Helios though at about a grand less than the BE100.

Would love to have a BE100 someday... in addition to the Helios.