• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Bogner Helios v/s Soldano SLO

Bogner Helios 100 or Soldano SLO?

• Helios 100

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • SLO with Depth and WH mod

Votes: 23 62.2%

• Total voters

BrentSP

Silver Supporting Member
Digging my Helios now that I have the speaker cab sorted out but I have an opportunity to trade for a mint SLO with depth and Warren Hayes mod. I used to own a SLO long ago and ended up trading it for a Bruno Leadman and regretted it soooo bad, that was in 2004. Always wanted to get another SLO and now I have my chance but at the cost of letting the Helios go. Wish I had both.

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
Slo no depth mod. Depth mod creates phase issues. You won't notice it unless playing in a band, using a dual head setup or recording. Pretty much anything but your bedroom.

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
I would do the trade. I use an slo with depth and wh in a two guitar band and don't notice any phase issues. Two of my band mates are recording engineers and professional touring soundmen, neither of them have noticed that either. I run my depth higher than most people too. Not saying voodoosound is wrong just saying I haven't had that problem.

Best amp Ive ever played so that's my vote

dsmc80

Slo no depth mod. Depth mod creates phase issues. You won't notice it unless playing in a band, using a dual head setup or recording. Pretty much anything but your bedroom.
This. Depth mod and WH mod are solutions in search of problems...problems the SLO doesn't have. If it didn't have the mods I would say trade it. But it does so enjoy the Helios

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
Since you already have a 101b and Goldfinger I say do it. You haven't been totally blown away by the Helios in the first few days so even though you got it sounding great I think you will want to part with it sooner than later. Plus the SlO100 is a really cool amp.

Vai81

I'm a bogner guy, but I'd take the SLO if you are able to play it loud often. Along with the Ecstacy, it's a modern day classic

BrentSP

Silver Supporting Member
So the more I play the helios the more I'm really liking it. I'm able to really get close to some great classic tones with that amp. Switch the EQ to 11 and adjust the presence and it nails GnR tones. With Greenbacks it can get dang close to some classic VH tones also. Plexi input, 70's mode, B2 and your in Zepplin territory. Clean channel with the volume up high, B1 with the pres around 1:00 with my R8 tone control rolled back some and its woman tone Clapton all day.

I passed on the SLO. The one I had didn't have the options and I talked to the guy I sold it to yesterday (JB from the forums) He has since sold it but he said he regretted selling it and bought a SLO with all the options and it didn't come close to sounding as good as mine with no options. So that did it for me.

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
Awesome that you're digging the Helios now. Bogner are killer amps.

The options on an Slo are great for some and useless for others. My 91 slo was stock when I bought it. Now runs kt66s, depth, and clipped bright cap. I love it even more now. The depth is indispensable for me.

I live really close to a bogner dealer so I hope to try out a Helios next time one is in stock. And an ecstacy is on my must own list

BrentSP

Silver Supporting Member
The bottom line is this. If you need to "mod" the slo for it to be useful to you. You need to buy another amp.
I've never played an slo with the depth mod other than an avenger but I never ever thought it needed more low end. It has big .047uF couplers in the pwr amp section that covers that. I do like depth controls on my personal builds as an additional feature and I've never had phasing issues but that's an entirely different circuit from the slo.

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
I've never played an slo with the depth mod other than an avenger but I never ever thought it needed more low end. It has big .047uF couplers in the pwr amp section that covers that. I do like depth controls on my personal builds as an additional feature and I've never had phasing issues but that's an entirely different circuit from the slo.
I've had SLOs since 87. #008, 2 88s, a rack mount, an 89, 91 and SLO1BMF Michaels personal amp with every mod they've done. Back in 2011 I picked up another 89. Comparing the 2 was a new brainier. The non modded one sounded bigger, livelier, and less gritty on the OD. The modded one had less oomph overall even at louder volume with the depth engaged. Recording it was a nightmare. Had to flop the phase on all tracks. I contacted Bill thinking something was wrong with the amp. He said no. The depth mod depending on volume and percentage of "depth" will create phase problems. You really notice it when running a stereo rig. Or recording parallel tracks through different amps. Not so much by itself.

Steve Snider

Gold Supporting Member
I have owned two stock SLOs and the Helios is a more useful amp to me. Not saying the SLO is in anyway bad, I just like the Helios better.

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
I have owned two stock SLOs and the Helios is a more useful amp to me. Not saying the SLO is in anyway bad, I just like the Helios better.
I prefer the Helios myself. However, the slo is still a fantastic amp when used properly. And with any amp it's really about application and execution.

BrentSP

Silver Supporting Member
I've had SLOs since 87. #008, 2 88s, a rack mount, an 89, 91 and SLO1BMF Michaels personal amp with every mod they've done. Back in 2011 I picked up another 89. Comparing the 2 was a new brainier. The non modded one sounded bigger, livelier, and less gritty on the OD. The modded one had less oomph overall even at louder volume with the depth engaged. Recording it was a nightmare. Had to flop the phase on all tracks. I contacted Bill thinking something was wrong with the amp. He said no. The depth mod depending on volume and percentage of "depth" will create phase problems. You really notice it when running a stereo rig. Or recording parallel tracks through different amps. Not so much by itself.
Rob I think I bought that SLO from you in fact back in 2004 or so. Can't remember what year it was but it was definitely from the 90's. It slayed. I traded for a Bruno Leadman, holy crap was that a bad trade.:bonk

Beam Tetrode

Haha! Phase shift is part of all EQ circuitry. Without it, EQ wouldn't work. Also when the depth knob is turned fully counter-clockwise it is 100% out of the circuit.

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
Thank you Captain Obvious. The point is we are talking about being out of phase not eqing. Which again was the point of my post about being noticeable when trying to run 2 heads together or recording.

Haha! Phase shift is part of all EQ circuitry. Without it, EQ wouldn't work. Also when the depth knob is turned fully counter-clockwise it is 100% out of the circuit.

Beam Tetrode

Thank you Captain Obvious. The point is we are talking about being out of phase not eqing. Which again was the point of my post about being noticeable when trying to run 2 heads together or recording.
All I'm saying is the depth knob does not "create phase issues"

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
All I'm saying is the depth knob does not "create phase issues"
Apparently Bill didn't know what he's talking about and what we heard or rather didn't in the studio was wrong. Go back and read what I wrote. Then come back and give me the experience to back the claim that it doesn't creat phase issues. Do a simple test like We did and run 2 SLOs in stereo or record them.

Beam Tetrode

The depth knob is a 1 meg pot with a .0047uf capacitor across it. Turning up the pot introduces the capacitor in series with the negative feedback loop of the output stage. This blocks low frequency content through the negative feedback loop, consequently boosting overall lows in the final output signal. The presence knob works similarly to boost high frequency output. Lots of guys use this exact circuitry in top recording studios every day with no issues. It's generally not a good idea to track two of the same amp in 'stereo' as the whole purpose of multi-amp recording is to generate two different tones and pan them out to widen the stereo image. Using two of the same amp would just end up sounding mono in the end.

Bill is a great guy, but I don't trust what he says 100% of the time. He's said some pretty ridiculous stuff about their Supercharger hum problems... telling people to chase ground loops despite the real issue being AC ripple through the relay coil.

Trending Topics