Bogner La Grange vs Ecstacy Red

mach1

Is there any crossover between the La Grange and the Red?
In other words can the Red do the La Grange thang?

1973Marshall

Ya they are surprisingly different. I owned a Red, have a Blue and wanted to love the La Grange. Couldn't bond with the La Grange. The Red is a bit modern and a bit rich in the mids - I found it hard to record with but it was great live.

Honestly, between the 3, my fave sound is goosing the Blue in Plexi mode to get a hot rodded Marshall, but that takes up a lot of space adding in a booster or DOD250 plus a double pedal. Plus it can be a lot of tap dancing. If you can set up a stack and let it ride, you have something special.

Last edited:

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
Are there any videos that AB the Red and the Lagrange and try to set them up to sound similar?

I have a red and my guess is that it is too thick and chewy to lean out like the LaGrange clips sound to my ears.

Dannyz

The La Grange is a bit fuzzy in the low end, like EVH´s tone in Fair Warning/1984, also it has that bright Marshall spank when you dig hard into the unwound strings. I gues that the Red sounds more open and modern. Reinhold is wacky enough to make you want/need all three pedals lol.

davey77

I've owned all 4 Bigger Bogner pedals, La Grange, Ecstasy red and blue and Uberschall...the La Grange is basically a Uberschall with added features...it's just ok, not bad but just ok, there's this blanket over the amp sound that both produce and for the life of me i couldn't dial it out!!! So I sold both. The Ecstasy pedals on the other hand are way better, very responsive and amp like....had them for 3yrs and its been on my board ever since!!!

mach1

I've owned all 4 Bigger Bogner pedals, La Grange, Ecstasy red and blue and Uberschall...the La Grange is basically a Uberschall with added features...it's just ok, not bad but just ok, there's this blanket over the amp sound that both produce and for the life of me i couldn't dial it out!!! So I sold both. The Ecstasy pedals on the other hand are way better, very responsive and amp like....had them for 3yrs and its been on my board ever since!!!
Thanks @davey77. I really hate that dull, blanket over the amp thing.

Darkburst

Silver Supporting Member
The La Grange isn't dull sounding through my Supro Jupiter or Silverface Fender Champ. It's got a lot of range. You can dial in warmer tones or turn the Presence to High, the Tone control past noon and the Ch Blend counter clockwise and get tons of upper mids and treble.

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
For me, the Red was more usable than the LG, but folks love the LG.
The Red and Blue seem to have opposite problems, IMO; the Red has too much gain and the Blue not enough.

Trending Topics