Bogner Love - An Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bilbal, Feb 1, 2008.

1. bilbal

bilbal Member

Hey all. I recently got myself a Bogner Shiva EL34 loaded head with reverb. This is the best amp I have ever owned. I had a 1x12 combo about 10 or 12 years ago but sold it. I had been wanting to replace it for some years and finally was able to. I not only replaced the combo but I feel as though the amp's circuit has improved over the years and I now own one of the best amps available. Let's see some other Bogners and let me know what you think of them.

Here is my new girl. I received it as part of a recent trade with another TGP member.

[​IMG]

Bill (bilbal)

2. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

I just played an Ecstasy 101b today at Gelb Music and loved it this time more than any other time I've played it. Usually I gravitate more towards the Classic but today I could get great cleans on the 101b, and all else felt great. If/when I buy one I will definitely go 101b. Killer amp, and it smoked the EVH 5150 that was sitting next to it.

Used to own an EL34 Shiva...great amps! Congrats.

3. bilbal

bilbal Member

I have yet to try out an XTC. I saw a guy years ago using one (not sure which model) and at the time I owned my first Shiva. The XTC was awesome but much. much different than my Shiva was at the time. This new Shiva is way different than my first. I don't know if it's the introduction of the EL34s or what but I like a lot more. It seems to have a ton more gain on tap and the tone is much bigger and rounder IMO. I would assume that there has been much change in the 10 years since my first but it's a completely different amp from what I remember. Whatever the change or difference, I love this new amp and wouldn't change a thing. I am thinking of adding a Soldano SLO to my big rig but since getting this Shiva, I may go ahead and add another just like it. Dual Shivas in stereo??? How awesome would that be???!!!

Getting back to the XTC, a buddy and fellow TGP member, Kenny B has had a couple XTCs and says the Classic is the way to go. Given this dudes gear and knowledge of said gear, I take his word for it. The XTCs are pretty pricey though. I think I'd rather just add another Shiva or go the SLO route. Hopefully my buddy (hint, hint Kenny...) will sell his SLO off to me soon - LOL!!!!!!

B

4. frankencat

frankencat Gold Supporting Member

I love me some Bogners :D

5. Lution

Lution Member

In Love with my XTC 101B. You can't go wrong with any Bogner product.

[​IMG]

6. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

I like my Bogner Duende.

7. gwayne

gwayne Member

Loves my Bog 101B :BEER. I've had it about 4 years which is longer than any other amp I've owned. I'm running it through a Germino 4-12 with heritage Greenbacks. I've finally found the elusive "it" tone I've been searching for. I continue to buy and sell complementary amps, but the Bogner will never ever leave me.

8. bilbal

bilbal Member

I was looking at some Duendes this afternoon on the internet. I haven't ever heard one in person They are low-wattage correct? Befor the Bogner, I owned a few Dr. Zs and a Fuchs (21 watts). All of them were exceptional and more than loud enough for me in any situation. I'm assuming the Duende is the same (???) What would you compare the Duende to (clean and gain)? There is actually one in the Emporium right now - well... this afternoon there was.

thanks
    b

9. billm408

billm408 Member

Can't pass up the chance to share a family photo! I've never met a Bogner I didn't like!

[​IMG]

10. bilbal

bilbal Member

Yikes!!! Now that is Bogner Love. Very nice my friend!!!1 I see that you have the newest Shiva head with the bright switches. How much of a difference do they make. I ask because I can not believe how interactive the tone controls are on my Shiva head. I'll bet the bright switches actually work on it. I say "work" because I am all too familiar with tone controls that you can move from say 10:00 o'clock to 1:00 o'clock and get little to no recognizable change. Also, is your Shiva EL34s or 6L6s? How do you compare the Shiva to the blue channel of the XTC? The red has far more gain correct? I like to hear what you think since you obviously have a passion for Bogners.

Very impressive line up - I bow to you my friend!!! :BEER

b

11. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

Bogner Duende. Just a lovely amplifier. Versatile enough that I never get tired of it. What a great effects loop. Such a good speaker choice in the G12H30. Very nice build and looks. Sounds rich and full.

I agonized over which Duende I liked better -- black knobs or the red ones on the new design. Finally kept my blackie. A softer bluesier amp for me. But the new design was tough to let go. That new Duende as a very fine B channel on it.

I have never gigged my Duende. Have no idea how I would like it in that kind of setting. I play home at relatively tame volume. The amp delivers rich tone at these settings. The sag switch is something I use and enjoy.

Dealing with Bogner has been pleasant. Great people -- more than happy to try to help in any way they can.

I would LOVE a Metropolis 15 watter with the full reverb option. WOW! But that will have to wait quite awhile.

Duende is very Blackface Fender in my book. It can sound a lot like my 1968 Fender Princeton Reverb. But just so much more versatile.

Glad to see some Bogner love here. But then, what's not to love?

12. zenpeace69

zenpeace69 Member

My Shiva is king, in my book.

13. billm408

billm408 Member

Bill- a humble collection next to some of those on the Bogner forum!
    The Shiva's a non reverb 6L6. The bright switches work, although I really don't use them often. You can get a nice chimey tone from the cleans, but I prefer a little darker tone. I love the gain channel, but it's not like the Blue channel on the xtc. The Shiva has more bite and less saturation. On the xtc, I use my red channel in plexi mode more than as a high gain channel. For what I'm playing the Blue gives me more than enough. I use the Shiva for a blues/classic rock band that I joined and the xtc for a hard rock/metal band. I couldn't be happier and honestly feel that there really isn't a tone that I can't get between the two.

14. analogwarmth

analogwarmth Member

[​IMG]

i think it will look good with my new guitar in my sig!
    :dude

15. bilbal

bilbal Member

That's pretty. I'm excited for your 335, I cannot imagine how you feel lol!!! What is the mod next to your master volume? I seem to remember seeing it on the Bogner forum. I don't go there very much anymore. I posted 5 question/comments and heard absolutely nothing so I don't hang there at all anymore. This place is much better and I feel welcome here. I didn't there!!

Oh well... Anyway, the mod?

b

16. Rayneman

Rayneman Supporting Member

I love my XTC AND my EVH 5150 III

[​IMG]

17. bilbal

bilbal Member

...enter, Soldano SLO. I will have another SLO by the end of summer. I miss both of my Boa SLOs soooo badly!!! My ultimate rig, due to be complete within 3 years or so will be:

Bogner Shiva - 2x12 Marshall cab with Celestion 75s
    Soldano SLO - 2X12 Marshall cab with Celestion 75s
    (2) Dr. Z Maz38Sr - Stereo ZBest with Celestion Golds
    (2) Fender Deluxe Reverb 1x12 combos
    Fishman LoudBox Acoustic 1x12 combo or Fender Acoustasonic

b

18. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

Two great amps for sure...I started today on the 5150 and loved it..thougth, this amp is an amp worth owning.... then I plugged into the 101b and loved it even more! Congrats on two fine amps.

19. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

I've had my Shiva EL-34 NR head for about a week. Of all of the Marshall-style amps I've owned, this is what I wanted them to be.

I REALLY like the Shiva.

Stormin!

20. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

I played one chord on a Metropolis at MAE in Lauderdale and knew the amp was coming home with me. To New Jersey. Easily the most fun to play amp I have owned. Very fat 3-D sounding for a 2xEL84, 15 watter. Reverb is thick, really no need for pedals and the schizo switch is like a Strat 5-way. Lots of defined tones.
    At NAMM, Reinhold, Jorg and Charlie were very willing to talk about the amp line. Charlie was especially helpful to me getting a problem resolved with my Metropolis.
    I'd like to move up to a 30 watter someday for some extra headroom, but I'm very happy where I'm at in the meantime.