Bogner Metropolis buy or don't?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by p.snail, Feb 10, 2017.

1. p.snail

p.snail Member

Hello,
    I am a basement dwelling former gigging guitar player into Blues, Blues/Rock, Classic rock. I haven't owned an amp in 10 years and I'm ready to jump back in. I found a solid deal on a Bogner Metropolis and the sound clips I've heard on youtube are fabulous, but the amp appears to be discontinued.

Any issues with these amps? Do they notoriously break down? Do they play nice with overdrives?

2. michael.e

michael.e Member

You can not do much better than that for the music you are after. GC in SF has a Metropolis head for $899 I think. It is sitting there on top of a Bogner slant 4-12. Beautiful rig. Not a quiet amp though. Not TOO loud, just not whisper quiet. SOLID amps.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    p.snail likes this.
  3. p.snail

p.snail Member

I found one for 799. I think I need it...lol.

4. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I'm sure it's a great amp. Everything I've read and heard has been great. Seems like a great price. Go for it.

5. michael.e

michael.e Member

Excellent. I just sold mine. I had other band needs. Beautiful sounding amps

6. p.snail

p.snail Member

Well, she's on her way to me. Now I need to find a cabinet. What speakers do you like with it?

7. Stormin

Stormin Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Take this as a FWIW - most of the Bogner cabs are loaded with Vintage 30's. That speaker works great with my Shiva, but I can't say for sure how it'd match with the Metro. I'm sure @michael.e can give you a more relevant opinion (he knows his stuff).

p.snail likes this.
  8. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I have almost purchased this amp on several occasions. The main thing that held me back was a bunch of posts that indicated that the amp - even the 15 watt version - is for gigging and not the best choice for someone who'll be using it as their main in home amp. This is all hearsay, though, as I've never played one.

9. p.snail

p.snail Member

Yeah its probably loud as all get out. I plan on getting a reactive load down the road so I can record with IRs. I should be able to use it to tame it i the basement. Who knows, maybe this will inspire me to start playing out again...lol.

10. p.snail

p.snail Member

So question on speakers for this. Would a 2x12 with WGS Green Berets or Celestion Greenbacks be a good choice?

I know Bogners use V30 a lot, but I've never been a fan of that speaker. I admit it could just be I haven't found an amp voicing I like with it.

What about an oversized 1x12 with either a Celestion G12m-65 Creamback or a WGS ET-65?

11. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

I don't know how i missed this thread.. I've gone all over the US with a bogner metropolis. I like the 65w Creambacks in my two. A scumback m65 would be in the same realm. I attenuate- they are not quiet. The master works in a strange manner. I hope you're enjoying your sweet new amp!

12. lkft

lkft Member

I would recommend a Bogner OS 2X12 with V30s, huge sounding cab!

13. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

What model Metro amp is this? That's an insane price and I'd have grabbed it even if it didn't power on.

14. michael.e

michael.e Member

It is the newer version. Reverb. I don't know if they still have it.

15. buchla300

buchla300 Member

My Bogner Metropolis is my favourite amp ever for it's clean sound. Absolutely stunning. Extremely flexible too and takes pedals as well as anything else. The reverb is superb too. Top notch amp. I'm a huge fan. I know I'm late, but for the future and anyone looking..buy it.

petergreeny likes this.
  16. Surfmusic

Surfmusic Member

I own a 4x10 Bogner Metropolis prototype 30 watt combo with reverb. I bought it from a music store that got it at the NAMM show back in the day. It stays at home. I just bought another Metropolis combo last week (July 2018) with 1x12. This one I will let out of the house. Between my 1960's Fenders, a 65Amps EL84 Producer, Korg era VOX AC30TBX, and a Marshall solid state 2x12, the Metropolis is my favorite. I play a Fender Strat and Tele. The Metropolis gets great chimey clean tones and rips when I need it to. Awesome.

Kleio, picnic and buchla300 like this.
  17. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u Member

I've got my sights on one of these amps. I am having trouble figuring out all the different revisions. What is the tube config for the 30 / 15? Any other advice?

18. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

30W = 4xEL84
    15W = 2xEL84

I enjoyed the non-reverb models, as they have a MIDDLE control.
    Great amp. Always sounds good. Love it with an Alnico though.

Igotsoul4u likes this.
  19. Page of Cups

Page of Cups Member

Metropolis --> Alnico = Lion's Purr!

20. Page of Cups

Page of Cups Member

I am curious what you went with, but that oversized 1x12 gets my vote.
    I'm currently stunned by my Metropolis through an
    oversized 1x10 cab with a Celestion Gold...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019