Bogner Metropolis or...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cslagle7, Feb 18, 2006.

1. cslagle7

cslagle7 Member

So I think the 30W Bogner Metro Reverb is the amp for me, but before I pull the trigger (after convincing my wife) - are there any other similar options that i'm missing? The sound clips available are amazing - cleans are pristine and the overdrive is great. A couple questions for the GPers:

How effective is the gain switch on the Metro? Can you get a good crunch at a reasonable volume? I've got Timmy, SHO, and Hellbilly pedals for overdrive/boost options - and with the schizo switch, there should be plenty of tonal possibilities, right? Will I be able to get Marshally sounds of of this guy? Just how aggressive can the Metro get? Any thoughts?

Head or combo? I've got an old marshall straight 4x12 cab with greenbacks in it, which seems like it would work fine. And combos are just a pain to move around. Are the bogner cabs worth the investment? Any thoughts?

I'm thinking the Tele through Metro will be the perfect Voxy rock sound for me. Any comments or thoughts will be most appreciated. Thanks!

2. onemind

onemind Member

One thought, the most aggressive clips on the site don't seem very Metropolis like to me, perhaps it's because I never get to crank mine (a very loud 15Watts) but I never really get near that searing tone without a little boost.. Happily it loves pedals...

3. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

The distortion on the Metro is nice, but it's the clean to somewhat overdriven sounds where it really shines. Your pedals will work well with it.

I would get the head for reasons of weight. And the reverb version is more to my taste than the nonreverb version.

4. bobbymack

bobbymack Supporting Member

I was thinking hard on a Metropolis but decided on the Kingsley Deluxe 30 head, with zero regrets...
    www.kingsleyamplifiers.com

5. cslagle7

cslagle7 Member

thanks for the feedback... so how might one attain marshallesque crunch from the metro? is it possible without pedals? the kingsley clips sound great too... good food for thought. any other thoughts?

6. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I never really know how to talk about Marshall type tone outside of actual Marshall flavor amplifiers - it covers a wide range of tones so even if I know what I think I wonder what the other guy means by it. For plexis I have a Germino HR-100 and a Louis Electric JTM45 clone. They almost come from different ideas about what plexi tones are. I suppose if I belonged to the Marshall plexi tone society, I might have to decide between one or the other. But I like them both a lot.

Where is the Bogner Metropolis in this picture? I really like the tones on that amp all the way from clean to wide open, and there's enough gain for most classic rock style in the Metro without a pedal. The tones where the amp really drops my jaw are from right around where the clean starts to heat up a bit to about three quarters wide open where it's getting scorched but not yet full on distortion. Does it sound like a Marshall? I don't think Marshall when I hear the Metro but I might be the wrong guy to ask. I would say you can believe in the clips on the Bogner site. I bought the amp based on clips from that site and I've been totally happy ever since.

7. edwinhong

edwinhong Member

I was going to buy one
    I liked clean & little overdrive sound but unless you crank up hard distortion was not very good so getting marshall tone out of it is possiable but when cranked up so I couldn't buy one, becuase I couldn't use all the volume, I was under estimated power of 30W

8. thintele

thintele Member

I've been hearing a lot of good things about the Gabriel Voxer, which seems to be along the same lines of the sound you are looking for, but in a 18 watt. I haven't played one yet. But heres the link...
    http://www.gabtone.com/voxer.htm

9. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I dont think Marshall when I think of the Metro... I think Vox.
    And I think a DAMN good Vox.
    The edge of distortion, just breaking up tones on this amp are simply outstanding.
    Right up there with my Matchless SC30.
    Check out Mark Goldenberg's work with Jackson Browne to see what a Metro can do in the right hands.

S>
    j

10. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Yeah it says 30 Watts, and it probably is 30 Watts on some bench test. But it FEELs like 100 Watts. It's one of the louder amps I have.

11. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

+1 on the Vox, not Marshall feel.

++1 on the Damn Good Vox.

However, when I want to take my 15 watt Metro down Marshall Lane, I simply step on my V-Stack Classic and let 'er rip.

Oh, I don't get to crank up my 15 watter as much as I would like so I'm sure the 30 watts will pin your ears back...in a good way.

12. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Yeah it sounds incredibly good to open that amp up. It's just correspondingly incredibly loud. I have a "whisper room" booth (with the extra isolation) where I can put amps in when I want to crank them at home. And no lie - the 30 Watt Metropolis is one of a handful of amps I have that can shake the floor outside that booth from inside it. It's the only amp rated less than 100 Watts that does it. And the ones that are rated 100 Watts that do it are the ones you think of as really being underrated. It's a concrete basement slab floor.

13. cslagle7

cslagle7 Member

how effective is the gain knob on the metro if you have to crank the volume to get grind? couldn't you crank the gain and keep the volume at a reasonable level? or does it not work that way?

if the 15w gets plenty loud and overdrive is attainable at a lower volume, maybe thats what i'm looking for?

14. onemind

onemind Member

You can get from nice pushed sounds to mild crunch with the gain knob about halfway at reasonable home playing volumes, for read searing lead tones you've got to open up the master.

15. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

Is it possible to pull a pair of the power tubes on an amp like this?

16. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

good question; I've got a Metropolis 2x12 30w combo w/reverb coming in this week. I can't wait to get my hands on it! I'm curious too, if you can pull the two outer tubes for 15w. I wouldn't do that live, but at home it might be cool. I had a Bad Cat Black Cat 30r and a Matchless SC-30 and both of those had 1/2 power switches for 15w. Maybe a THD Hotplate would be a better idea though. What do you guys think?

17. stratovarius

I've got amps that you can do that with, but they're fixed bias (individually adjustable), if that makes a difference.

I noticed you scored through the WTB forum. Nice. I have been curious about these amps since I love EL84 tubes.

18. olectric

olectric Supporting Member

MG is the reason I bought the amp.

And this is why I sold it. I couldn't get those ridiculously awesome tones at any reasonable level. Plus, no standby...what's up with that?

19. stratovarius

30 Watts is a lot. My 15 Watt Zeeta usually has sufficient power. The only time when it's not been enough is when some other guitar player wanted to shut me down. That's what got me started thinking about an amp with 4 EL84's. Generally, I try to avoid pissing contests.

Of course you can always use the PA to get more power. I used a Palmer PDI-09 to supply a signal to the PA recently, and I must say it exceeded my expectations.

20. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Well it's easy enough to try. If you want to drop your power by half, then it's pretty much like the lowest (4dB) attenuation on the HotPlate.

For 30 Watts, the Metropolis is stoopit loud (I think that is the technical term for it). I have quite a few 40-55Watt amps that wouldn't keep up with it.