1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bogner Metropolis?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by beckanon, Jan 20, 2006.

1. beckanon

beckanon Member

I've got a thing for EL84 amps...and I like the sound clips on their website. I've got a Rt66 that I LUV, but would also like to add a chimey amp again to my arsenal. Any thoughts on this amp? What do these sell for new or used?

2. woude

woude Member

It's one of my favorite amps! I don't own it, but someday... I've played it a few times. Head through 412 bogner cab. It's a chimy amp for sure. It does clean and overdrive both really good. The schizo switch gives you a lot of options. The marshall / vox type overdrive sounds are in there, and also some really sparkling clean sounds. Besides, I like how solid this amp feels. Really nice construction and looks!

3. woude

woude Member

forgot to say that the soundsamples on the bogner site are really representative for what it sounds like in person.

4. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

Metropolis is a score and a half. You hardly see them come up used because they are so well liked. Bought mine used. Got a great deal. Sold it, recouped my money. I'll be getting another. I should have just kept it but GAS is a helluva drug!

5. shblay

shblay Member

That's one of the amps on my gas list right now.

Hamertoe, how much did you pay/sell your Metro for?

6. rhmcfarland

rhmcfarland Member

I'm really happy with mine.
    The amp has some great tones, does well with pedals, and cuts through the mix big-time. Well worth the coin...

7. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

I've got a 15 watt 1 x 12 reverb model that I bought used for $1250 a couple of years ago.

It is definitely a keeper with alot of chime if you want it and growl if you want it and while 15w isn't 30w you can definitely get yourself a blizzard of nails tone if you want that and plenty of volume.

Loves pedals and absolutely loves getting a boosted signal.

Get one and you'll be happy.

8. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I really liked mine. Great amp. And relative to what you get, tone-wise, a bargain, even at "new" prices.

I had the 30 watt head with reverb. No complaints at all. I think it's the best of the Bogners!

Stu at Fat Sound will give you a good price and great service.

9. noctilux1

noctilux1 Member

I saw a band in town about 6 months ago. The guitar player was playing through a Bogner Metropolis. The overall mix through the PA was real bad but, the Bogner sounded fantastic. I'm an old amp guy myself but was really impressed by the sound of this amp. He was playing a 335 through it..the cleans were really ringing and the overdrive just sounded great. I was wondering why I hadn't seen more of these Metropolis amps in live situations????? You don't hear much about this model anywhere.

10. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I have the same amp; and one of each other Bogner. No question the 30 Watt Metropolis with reverb is the pick of the litter. It's an excellent amp.

11. cranqued

cranqued Gold Supporting Member

12. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Add me to the list of non-owners lusting for one. A-B'd a Metro combo (lower wattage model) along side a handwired Marshall 18w at Washington Music Center. Although they are voiced slightly differently, the Bogner really stood out. Way huge all around. Loved the 'schizo' knob, and it happens to be a great looking amp as well (love the backlit panel). A bit heavy, but a small price to pay for such great tone on all settings. I WILL own one eventually. AC

13. ChicagoFraize

ChicagoFraize Member

Bogner is coming out with a new amp too. Duende or something like that. Its an 18 watter so keep your eyes peeled sometime after March.

CF

14. us2bslim

us2bslim Member

I've got a 15 watter on sale for $1,350, if you're interested.
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rfitzgibbon/bogner.jpg

I've got an SMF 35 watter piggyback rig, a Speedster Deluxe and a Motion Sound Sidewinder and I want to get something a big smaller and lighter.

Let me know if you're interested.

15. Badger71

Badger71 Member

The Metropolis is the only other amp that I think I'd drop my MK IV for just because of it's versatility. I was real impressed with the one at Wild West Guitars.

16. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Have one, I love it.

17. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

is the metro all ptp or does it have some pcb in it - someone on the board told me it has a small pcb in it and is principally hand wired ptp.

18. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

Go to the Bogner website to read their statement on PCB construction. They definitely use PCB and have reasoning behind it rather than cost savings.